PDA

View Full Version : Weaver anyone?

Lead melter
05-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Got the MidwayUSA flyer yesterday and saw they have some Weaver scopes on sale at decent prices.

This got me to thinking, I and my father are the only folks I know who have Weaver scopes on anything. Most others are Leopold, Nikon, and the like.

I have several Weavers on different rifles and handguns, all of which are clear and dependable. One I have is an old steel-tube 4X on my Handi 45-70. It's been on the gun for 8 years, never changes zero, and has to be at least 25 years old. They seem like good stuff to me.

Does anyone else have any Weavers? If so, have you had any problems? Or have I just gotten lucky?

sundog
05-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Several Weavers here. No problems. I like the V-series mildot.

bullshot
05-28-2008, 07:47 AM
I think todays Weaver scopes are made by Simmons.

StrawHat
05-28-2008, 07:47 AM
I had a couple of Weaver fixed power scopes, 2x, 3x, 6x.

Never had a problem with them and to the best of my knowledge they are still on the rifles and the guys that own them now are happy.

I have switched to iron sights so my scoped rifles got sold.

eka
05-28-2008, 08:18 AM
I like the Grand Slam series a lot. Clear and repeatable adjustments.

Keith

Scrounger
05-28-2008, 08:36 AM
I think todays Weaver scopes are made by Simmons.

You mean "by the same company that makes Simmons". Simmons, Weaver, Tasco, and all the other names, except possibly Leupold and Burris, are just Brand names, the actual producers are unknown companies in Korea, China, Malaysia, the Philippines, etc. By and large, they do a pretty good job, as Leupold has priced themselves out of the market.

The Double D
05-28-2008, 08:49 AM
You mean "by the same company that makes Simmons". Simmons, Weaver, Tasco, and all the other names, except possibly Leupold and Burris, are just Brand names, the actual producers are unknown companies in Korea, China, Malaysia, the Philippines, etc. By and large, they do a pretty good job, as Leupold has priced themselves out of the market.

Not true that Leupold has priced them selves out of the Market, All those other have simply went to a cheaper labor market, You want scopes, or anything built by Americans you have to pay for it.

For my Gopher Guns, I like the Weaver 6X with AO.

Boerrancher
05-28-2008, 08:51 AM
I don't know about the newer Weavers, but I do have several of the old K-series scopes and most of them are older than I am. I got them from my Father and his friends as they upgraded to more modern higher powered scopes. I have used them for between 25 to 30 years, and I know some of the scopes were pushing 20 years old when they were given to me. I wish I could find an inexpensive scope as durable as the old Weaver scopes were today.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch

Joe

James C. Snodgrass
05-28-2008, 09:21 AM
I bought one of their 2x7 rimfire 7 or 8 yrs ago for my dad and it is one of the clearest little scopes you could ask for it will allow the 77/22 22mag put 5 in m.o.a. I've also got a 2 1/2 on my 458 Lott and it's a dandy.

scrapcan
05-28-2008, 09:58 AM
I have 4 of the older steel tubes. combine the four weavers with one old 6x burris mini and I have had those scopes on a bunch of guns all have been durable and usable. I am currently playing with a 1x shotgun scope with box reticle on a m96 swede with scout mount. Not quite the eye relief needed but it will work.

If someone ahs a long eye relief steel tube pistol scope that they would trade for a steel tube k4 I would like to hear from you.

I had a very bad experience with a redfield scope that had a bent tube from the factory and the company that owns them was piss poor on the warranty/repair. I finally sent it to an independant scope repair shop and swore I would not own another simmons/redfield/weaver etc.. that was sold by the then copany that owned all those brand names. The only thing one company can offer over another is good customer service, they did not have it and they know it.

Jeremy

GLL
05-28-2008, 11:12 AM
I have several of the old T-series Weaver target scopes that were made in El Paso and am very happy. I think the new Weavers are made in Japan.

Jerry

T-16 on No.1 in .357Max
http://www.fototime.com/28A96275307B9D5/standard.jpg

Boomer Mikey
05-28-2008, 11:32 AM
T-16 on No.1 in .357Max
http://www.fototime.com/28A96275307B9D5/standard.jpg

Jerry,

That isn't an outdoorsman!

From the number of molds you have, I thought you must have at least 5 safes full of outdoorsmen and no time for the long guns... nice outfit though.

I don't own any Weaver scopes but I like their new mounting and ring systems. They're part of ATK Industries now acquired from Meade Instruments. RCBS is part of ATK’s Civil Ammunition Systems Group.

ATK is a huge multinational corporation involved in: solid rocket motors, weapon, space systems, ammunition, solid rocket propulsion systems, composite structures, missile defense systems, aerospace applications, solid rocket booster, propellant.

There Aerospace and Defense Division is headquartered in Edina, Minnesota, ATK Ammunition Systems Group is a leading supplier of small and medium caliber military ammunition, ammunition propellant, commercial and military smokeless powder, law enforcement and sporting ammunition, ammunition related products and an operator of two U.S. Army ammunition manufacturing plants. The organization employs approximately 5,000 people.

Meade Instruments is the optics company that made (I should say imports) various brands of scopes not made here... Meade is on the verge of collapse, they closed their plant in the US and moved it to Mexico and sold brand names like Weaver to reduce their losses.

I respect Leupold, Burris and other companies that try to stay in the market with products made here but I personally can't afford optics that cost more than a decent rifle.

It's hard to draw the line on what is or isn't made in the US nowadays anyway; as most, if not all of the parts used in these products aren't made here. If the final assembly is done here it can be stamped as made in the USA.

Boomer :Fire:

montana_charlie
05-28-2008, 12:00 PM
I bought a V-7 in 1969 to replace one that was lost (stolen) by the Post Office. But the only choice on the day I purchased was the post and crosshair reticle...which I didn't really like.

After a couple of years of use, I was playing with 'focusing' the eyepiece, and unscrewed it right off of the tube. That winter, I had problems with it fogging up when brought into a warm tent at night.

That spring, I sent it to Texas to be purged and sealed, and asked them if they could change the reticle. They said the 'repair' would be free, but that 'change' would cost me. So, I sent them their pound of flesh, and have been using the scope ever since.

Might be the best five bucks I ever spent...
CM

carpetman
05-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Back in the days when Weavers were made at El Paso,Tx they were a very good scope for the money,they were the poor man's scope.. Back then, possibly Rochester,NY made Bausch & Lomb's were the best---but they cost more. First rifle I bought was equipped with a Weaver K-4, this was in 1967. I bought a Weaver brand lens protector as well. In early 80's when I removed the lens protector it broke the plastic ring at the front of the scope and the scope fogged. This ring was metal on older models---they had cheapened their product. I sent scope, with protector on it and explained what happened. They came back with send check for the repair. I sent letter that THEIR protective equipment is what wrecked it,why should I pay? After a time it appeared that my only recourse was to pay the ransom. The day my mailman picked up the check,he also delivered the scope. Had Weaver decided I was right and sent the scope? They cashed the check. My dad,brother and I all used Weavers for a lot of years and the problem I described and a problem my dad had with one that required sending back were the only problems. In 1947 Jack O'Connor wrote a very good article on sighting in scopes that was in Outdoor Life. Weaver reprinted the article and it was included with all Weaver scopes when they were made in El Paso. Basic jest of article was to sight in MOST rifles at 25 yards and they'd be on again (around 200 or so ---depending on bullet,velocity etc etc (probably RPM) ). Just about the same thing as Sierras Point Blank Range. In my books,todays poor man scope is Leupold. They have not priced themselves out. Get a bargain scope and when it gives problems, it may not be a bargain. Bargain scope gives problem, you pay postage to send it in and often time a repair bill of $15. If company still available and hasnt changed hands several times. You now make trip to range to sight it back in. Scope NOT fixed,so another trip to post office and pay postage again and when you get it back---another trip to the range. Where's the savings???? Leupold probably wont give as many problems---yes they give problems---it gets fixed free--usually first time. Use it a few years and if you decide to sell it,it will often times bring more than you paid. .

carpetman
05-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Montana Charlie----You bought a V-7? Don't you watch tv? Cudda had a V-8.

montana_charlie
05-28-2008, 03:50 PM
(head slap!)

fourarmed
05-28-2008, 04:43 PM
I still have a number of Texas-made Weavers, but they are getting fewer. I put my treasured K-2.5 on my new 336 for load testing, and when I looked at the target, I realized it now had about a foot of parallax at 70 yds. Might have had something to do with all those years on the .45-70.

longhorn
05-28-2008, 09:49 PM
The old steel K-3 on my .458 is still going strong--I won't claim many factory rounds, though--I still have a few rounds from the 2 boxes I bought with my first .458, in 1981. Some striving handloads, yes.

454PB
05-28-2008, 10:17 PM
My Ruger M77 .338 magnum wears a 25 year old Weaver 3X9. Not only has it held up to several thousand rounds of heavy recoil, but a few years ago I had an accident. I was Elk hunting and tried to climb an 8' outcropping. I was just about at the top when my foot slipped and the rifle slipped off my shoulder. It made a sickening clang as it bounced end over end about 3 times and landed in a pile of boulders. The rifle has several dings, and the scope took a major hit on the objective end. That ended that hunt, I was sure it would no longer shoot to zero. I took it to the rifle range a day or two latter, and it was shooting exactly were it did before the wreck.

Ricochet
05-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I've had a K-4W on a .30-06 M77 since 1984. Never had any trouble with it.

mike in co
05-29-2008, 02:59 AM
i have a bunch of el paso steel tube k4's, a couple of 6's and a t10. i actually shop for them. for a long time it was the best 20-25 bucks one could spend on a scope. bill ackerman rebuilds them, and i'd say you would still be under a 100 per scope///more like 75.
i use them on milsurplus for sniper matches( 4x max), on rimfire sporters(6x max), and use the 10x for load work up on some rifles.
i have a couple of true redfields( not the china/japan name only from a couple years back), and several luepolds.......mostly 36x br, but just picked up a nice 4x....you cannot stop me...

2" orange duct tape at 200 yds matches the cross hairs, one inch at 100 matches the cross hairs on the 4x's....real easy to get repeatable holds for load development.

i have a bunch of mixed japanesse 4x's from the 50/60/70's all good quality and low cost.

mike in co

HABCAN
05-29-2008, 08:16 AM
In 1947 I had a B4 on a Cooey .22, then in '49 traded up to a G6 on a Winchester M69. Next was a K3 on a L/E #5 in '59. The steel Weaver K4 was the 'standard of the industry' for decades, with good reason.

I've done the Leupold thing: WONDERFUL customer service! I still have one, a 1.5X LER. Now I live with Bushnells which are satisfactory for my uses, and a new mildot 3x9 BSA which I like very much except for country-of-origin.

MT Gianni
05-29-2008, 08:55 AM
I bought two Weaver 3x9's from the early 80's that were inexpensive. One has not held adjustments well, the other still moves 1/4 MOA per click. Some of these that first were imported not the El PAso scopes hav ethis problem but the 2 steel El PAso ones I have are great. Gianni

miestro_jerry
05-29-2008, 09:23 AM
I have several old and new Weavers and they work for me, no problems, and have not been damaged by anything I do in my normal course of shooting.

Jerry

GLL
05-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Boomer:

I own a couple single shot rifles as well as two or three .38/44 Outdoorsman ! ;) ;)

Here is my 38-55 No.1 with an old T-20 Weaver.

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/DE97164CBD4277D/orig.jpg

Uncle R.
05-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Danged if I can see the attraction the steel El Paso Weavers hold for some. I always figured they were heavy, the adjustments were none too accurate (possibly excepting the T series) and they had to be kept oiled to protect them from rust. I don't like to put oil anywhere near a lens or turret for fear that it'll migrate to where it can cause problems. The old Weavers may have been tough against recoil, but over the years I've seen a lot of them leak and fog.
<
Most of the steel Weavers I've seen were optically pretty poor when compared to even a medium quality modern scope. Heck, even the best quality scopes from 30 years ago can't compare to the medium priced scopes of today for resolution or light transmission - I've proven it to myself in range testing more than once. Modern scopes are a gold-plated flaming bargain compared to the products and pricing available in my youth.
<
That said, I too get annoyed with the "confusion marketing" used to sell scopes. Manufacturers (Importers?) and distributors seem to do everything possible to PREVENT the end user from getting any real knowledge about their products. Look in a catalog and you'll see that all scopes are exactly the same. :twisted: They're ALL "shockproof, waterproof, fogproof" and they ALL have "1/4 minute adjustments" and "multi-coated lenses." Some of the descriptions include meaningless phrases like "camera quality lenses" designed to appeal to the buyer but convey no real information.
<
We all know that there ARE real differences in scopes, but good luck trying to decide. You're left choosing in the dark - HOPING that you'll (at least) get what you pay for. All too often - you don't. Even if you do get good results from a particular model over a few years of hunting, when you go back to buy another it's likely that the company's changed hands, the scopes are made in a different (asian) plant, and the quality might no longer be there. How would you know?
<
There are objective, repeatable tests for resolution, light transmission, adjustment accuracy, seal integrity and ability to withstand recoil. If some "Gun Rag" were to actually test the popular scopes of today - and PUBLISH the results - they'd do shooters a great service. Don't hold your breath though - it might hurt the advertising revenue.
<
Uncle R.

Scrounger
05-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Same old story: Weavers are desirable because they don't make them any more. Collectorism, pure and simple. When they were being made, they were the least desirable of the domestic scopes. Now they're just older with a lot more wear. I wish I had 50 of them so I could sell them on EBAY to people with more money than judgment. For the last 25 years I have happily shot small groups and killed numerous prairie dogs using 'cheap' foreign-made scopes. And 'slant-eyed' cars are better too.

leadman
05-30-2008, 10:18 PM
I bought a Weaver 2x8 pistol scope about 1 1/2 years ago from Midway, before Meade was moving the Simmons/Weaver plant to California. I didn't get around to mounting it for a couple months(mistake).
When I did I noticed that the edges of the field of view were very distorted and there was only a very small spot where you had to have your eye to see thru the scope, even on 2X. I have several other fixed and variable power pistol scopes so knew this was not correct.
I called and was told to send the scope to Georgia, which I did. After about a month I called and they could not locate my scope. It was signed for so I knew it arrived. They sent me a used scope to use until they could locate mine, which they never did. Several months and many phone calls later they finally sent a new scope and said to keep the used scope for my trouble.
This would have been very good if these 2 scopes did not have the same problem as my original one!
I called them again and they said to return them. I finally convinced them they needed to pay for return shipping. When the scopes got to Calif. they said their engineer could find nothing wrong with them. I asked if the engineer was a shooter. They said they didn't know. They customer service clerk and his manager were not shooters.
I finally asked that they ship me 2 fixed 2X scopes, as I have one like that and there is no distortion and some flexibility on eye location. They did.

I will not buy another Weaver/Simmons scope.