PDA

View Full Version : Arthritis and Shooting

mcdaniel.mac
08-11-2016, 06:31 AM
First off I hope I'm in the right spot. This isn't specific to a type of gun or to judt cast boolits, so if it needs to move, so be it.

I was recently diagnosed with arthritis in my shooting hand, and am awaiting more results to see if it's in my knees and ankles as well. While I'm sure I'm not alone, I'm a bit young, under 30, to already be arthritic! I first found out because I used to shoot a lefty Tikka T3 with my right hand and work the bolt with my left, but trying to support it on a sling made me grit my teeth and whimper like a bee-stung pup last time I tried. Pistol grip shotguns are right out of the question now!

So my question is mainly what i can do to continue enjoying the fine art of ballistication while minimizing the continuing damage. I'm preparing to sell off a bunch of my harder-recoiling stuff and some of my heavier guns because of the pain they cause, but I don't want to see my Contender and Encore go away! Can anyone recommend a glove to help with recoil? Is there a particular grip that might help, or a brace that would help take the strain off my wrist?

I've considered having the Encore engraved and sending Uncle Sam his vig for an SBR stamp and just shooting it as a pocket rifle. Does anyone else with osteoarthritis of the hand and wrist have a recommendation for stocks to try out? Or if not, are there other types of pistols or rifle stocks that minimize the strain on the wrist?

The good news is, selling off the other stuff will free up some money and room in the safe!

KAF
08-11-2016, 06:48 AM
Make sure you have a good agreesive rheumtologist. You'll be taking several anti inflamatories, and maybe a biologic like Humira or Enbrel. Your inmune system is basicly eating your cartlage in your joints, so it has to be slowed, hopefully stopped. With the meds shooting will get easier, but never like it was at one time.

44man
08-11-2016, 08:03 AM
I am 78 with no problems but off the bench with my revolvers does twist my wrist. carol found a wrist brace with Velcro to wrap it and it does help.
You can find gloves with a padded palm too. I have a shooting glove set but hardly use them, even extra large takes 5 minutes to get them on or off. Make sure you get a good fit.
I hope you can continue to shoot.
Watch medicines and tell the doc about any side affects. They tried to give me blood pressure junk and I found myself on the kitchen floor and don't know how I got there. Took my pressure the other day and got 95 over 52 with no medicines. I told the doctors office to stick that stuff.

mcdaniel.mac
08-11-2016, 08:56 AM
Make sure you have a good agreesive rheumtologist. You'll be taking several anti inflamatories, and maybe a biologic like Humira or Enbrel. Your inmune system is basicly eating your cartlage in your joints, so it has to be slowed, hopefully stopped. With the meds shooting will get easier, but never like it was at one time.
Mine's osteoarthritis, not RA. No immune link, just worm out joints. Hopefully the VA will grant me disability ratings for it.

I appreciate the responses.

KAF
08-11-2016, 09:18 AM
osteo is damage done over the years, they both are very painful. I was diagnosed in 1998 with osteo and ra. every joint in my body has been affected. It is kind of undercontrol but still sucks. Two new hips, soon to be new knee/knees.
It does affect shooting, pistol, and prone, standing is no fun anymore. I do a bunch of bench shooting. Just live with t and do what you can to fight it, it is a long row to hoe.........

GhostHawk
08-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Keep using it, important with osteo to not let the pain win and let it stiffen up.

My wife's knuckles look like pecan's and she has small hands.

She is a crack shot with a pistol and does not shoot much anymore. It just hurts too much.
Mostly when she does shoot it is with a Ruger Mk III 22/45 which is low recoil. I have also found that slightly reduced loads also help. I have been liking the Federal Premium Champion Target AutoMatch which are just a hair slower at 1200 fps vs 1280ish.

We have a pair of the Ruger Mk III's as we both enjoy shooting them. Hers has the built in rail on top and sports a small red dot sight. (which I am Jealous of)

Watch out for pain meds like Aleeve which work but can seriously screw up your stomach over time.

I know real aspirin is out of favor with doctors but for many things I prefer it.

My arthiritis is mostly in my hips and shoulders, the biggest single things that help me are long very hot showers which "cooks" the cold out of the joint. Also for flare up's Raisin's soaked in Gin. I am not sure why the drunk raisin's work, for some they work for others they don't.

I take a plastic container, mostly fill it with Raisins, your choice any color, style.
Then cover the raisins with straight Gin, add a tablespoon or 2 of honey to help smooth it out. Put a cover on it and let it soak and age.

On a bad day have a spoonful.

I'm not sure if it would work on my wife, but she can't tolerate the taste/fire.
For me I'll never be without raisins and gin in my house. I let myself run out this spring and spent 5 miserable days sitting on a hotpad until the raisin's got drunk enough to start helping.

runfiverun
08-11-2016, 09:33 AM
just a simple compression type brace will help your wrists a lot.
I shoot a rather heavy shotgun and my wrists/knuckles bother me anyway.
but with the compression braces I can get through 100 rounds without any issues.

for pistol shooting your just gonna have to look at a few different grip [angle] styles and decide which one will work best for you.
I'd just learn how to shoot from a bench for heavy recoil rifle shooting.

kenyerian
08-11-2016, 10:40 AM
Had an uncle that swore by the Raisins and Gin. He has passed on now but used it after every bird hunt. Said if he didn't he couldn't get out of bed the next morning.

montana_charlie
08-11-2016, 12:54 PM
Mine's osteoarthritis, not RA. No immune link, just worm out joints. Hopefully the VA will grant me disability ratings for it.

I appreciate the responses.
What is your current profession?

mcdaniel.mac
08-11-2016, 01:07 PM
What is your current profession?
Armed security and student, both full-time. I'm trying to move over to a desk job that pays a bit more and could get me into a DOD or VA job a bit down the road, but we'll see.

jsizemore
08-11-2016, 06:37 PM
Bike riding gloves have gel pads in the palms. The mountain bike gloves got the thicker pads.

SSGOldfart
08-11-2016, 07:23 PM
Wheelchair gloves have open fingers and pads in the palm
Problem with wrist braces is the recoil is sent up your arm,to the shoulder,after beating your elbow to bits. Trust me your elbow can really hurt too.

Artful
08-11-2016, 11:39 PM
So my question is mainly what i can do to continue enjoying the fine art of ballistication while minimizing the continuing damage. I'm preparing to sell off a bunch of my harder-recoiling stuff and some of my heavier guns because of the pain they cause, but I don't want to see my Contender and Encore go away! Can anyone recommend a glove to help with recoil? Is there a particular grip that might help, or a brace that would help take the strain off my wrist?

I've considered having the Encore engraved and sending Uncle Sam his vig for an SBR stamp and just shooting it as a pocket rifle. Does anyone else with osteoarthritis of the hand and wrist have a recommendation for stocks to try out? Or if not, are there other types of pistols or rifle stocks that minimize the strain on the wrist?

The good news is, selling off the other stuff will free up some money and room in the safe!

Sorry to hear it's hitting you so young, As far as Contenders/Encore with supporting hardware - I don't see why you couldn't graft on something similar to a SIG Brace from an AR-15 but I don't really see this as eliminating the strain on your wrist. If you see someone with an AR Pistol with a SIG brace ask to shoot a few rounds and see.

You can change to Lighter Caliber weapons, put on muzzle breaks or suppressors to minimize recoil, Change to different grips or angles of grip to see if that helps. If you only want to shoot there are rifle disciplines that don't involve holding it up like bench rest.

As far as pain management - chemical solutions (pun) abound but you have to see what works best in your body - Tylenol, Advil, Aspirin, other over the counter med's can be taken before you go to the range and will help. Check with your Doctor about other options.

PAST makes a glove specifically for hard recoiling calibers
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1125191321/past-professional-shooting-gloves-fingerless-leather

My suggestion to you is ask your doctor about anti-inflammatory Diet recommendations - that's what the wife and I do (somewhat).
http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet/
http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet/anti-inflammatory/the-arthritis-diet.php
http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet/foods-to-avoid-limit/

It's a challenge to slash your intake of Caffeine, Alcohol, Chocolate, Salt etc. and still maintain your flavorful experience.

You will find that you can put things into your diet that will help with your condition

Following a diet low in processed foods and saturated fat and rich in fruits, vegetables, fish, nuts and beans is great for your body. If this advice looks familiar, it’s because these are the principles of the so-called Mediterranean diet, which is frequently touted for its anti-aging, disease-fighting powers.
Studies confirm eating these foods can do the following:

Lower blood pressure
Protect against chronic conditions ranging from cancer to stroke
Help arthritis by curbing inflammation
Benefit your joints as well as your heart
Lead to weight loss, which makes a huge difference in managing joint pain.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20705881,00.html
http://www.joybauer.com/arthritis/
http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/anti-inflammatory-power-foods-for-arthritis/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1215116/The-simple-diet-fight-arthritis-Alzheimers-disease.html
The bad part is no one can tell you what will work for YOU, you have to experiment and figure it out for yourself - What works for one person may or may not work for the next.

You might want to test for Allergen's as well - sometimes you are allergic to something but it doesn't cause a huge problem but aggravates your existing condition. My wife for example can't have food fried in peanut oil but can eat a few peanuts without problem.
Her Diabetes seems to dislike White bread flour but gets on famously with Rice, Spelt or Buckwheat flour.

mcdaniel.mac
08-12-2016, 08:04 AM
Sorry to hear it's hitting you so young, As far as Contenders/Encore with supporting hardware - I don't see why you couldn't graft on something similar to a SIG Brace from an AR-15 but I don't really see this as eliminating the strain on your wrist. If you see someone with an AR Pistol with a SIG brace ask to shoot a few rounds and see.

You can change to Lighter Caliber weapons, put on muzzle breaks or suppressors to minimize recoil, Change to different grips or angles of grip to see if that helps. If you only want to shoot there are rifle disciplines that don't involve holding it up like bench rest.

As far as pain management - chemical solutions (pun) abound but you have to see what works best in your body - Tylenol, Advil, Aspirin, other over the counter med's can be taken before you go to the range and will help. Check with your Doctor about other options.

PAST makes a glove specifically for hard recoiling calibers
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1125191321/past-professional-shooting-gloves-fingerless-leather

My suggestion to you is ask your doctor about anti-inflammatory Diet recommendations - that's what the wife and I do (somewhat).
http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet/
http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet/anti-inflammatory/the-arthritis-diet.php
http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet/foods-to-avoid-limit/

It's a challenge to slash your intake of Caffeine, Alcohol, Chocolate, Salt etc. and still maintain your flavorful experience.

You will find that you can put things into your diet that will help with your condition
[COLOR=#212322][FONT=futura-pt]
[/LIST]
http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20705881,00.html
http://www.joybauer.com/arthritis/
http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/anti-inflammatory-power-foods-for-arthritis/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1215116/The-simple-diet-fight-arthritis-Alzheimers-disease.html
The bad part is no one can tell you what will work for YOU, you have to experiment and figure it out for yourself - What works for one person may or may not work for the next.

You might want to test for Allergen's as well - sometimes you are allergic to something but it doesn't cause a huge problem but aggravates your existing condition. My wife for example can't have food fried in peanut oil but can eat a few peanuts without problem.
Her Diabetes seems to dislike White bread flour but gets on famously with Rice, Spelt or Buckwheat flour.
Diet change is probably in order anyway.

I have used the Sig Brace on an AR pistol...i may experiment with putting one on my contender.

I'll add a shooting glove to my Christmas list as well.

I may have to experiment with lower-reoil loads and maybe a sling for the handguns. I'm going to take the leverguns to the range this week and see if I can run them their paces. If not, that old Marlin will go go my brother and I'll order a .300 Whisper barrel to replace it.

KAF
08-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Find a rheumatologist near you. They treat ALL forms of arthritis.

johnson1942
08-12-2016, 10:45 AM
the above suggestions are all right on. im retired from the medical field but i observed one greatly over looked thing that can cause your problem and want to ad it to the mix. ive seen it too many times to ignore. i even had it happen 2 times in my 74 years of life so this tid bit cant be left out. if you have even one cavity in a tooth it can be a source of your problem at your age or any age. also if you have a gallbladder that is not just perfect it can also cause your problem. the bacteria in a decayed tooth is the worst kind of bacteria that can start in the body and then enter it. it doesnt even have to enter the body and still do its bad deeds just by staying in the tooth. heart attacks and strokes can be caused by tooth decay. joints going bad all over the human body is a common thing with tooth decay. if you cant afford to fix them, pull them, you will live better and longer. the gall bladder doesnt have to surgery take out bad to cause problems. if it is slightly inflamed it can cause spots in joints to become inflamed also. if constant inflamation is in one spot of the body the body sometimes get joint inflamation also. so all this means, look for troubled spots of inflamation in other parts of the body and if you find them get rid of them. if their are none at all then most likely your immune system is starting to turn on its own body. specialest are needed for that and then it is a long hard struggle. you never know i may have helped, if not you, someone else. teeth and a bad gall bladder were my source of my problem. when fixed the problem went away within one week.at 74 years old i have only one bad joint in my whole body. the knuckle joint in the index finger of my right hand. that is bad from over use. it is the result of thousands of of hand written pages of patients reports plus years of bluegrass picking the 5 string banjo. dont write patient reports anymore and ive switched from picking the banjo to frailing it. good luck and dont leave any stone unturned in getting your health back.

Artful
08-12-2016, 02:42 PM
Oh, and if your dominant hand is the one with arthritis but your "weak" hand doesn't have an issue - start training yourself to shoot off handed

mcdaniel.mac
08-13-2016, 01:39 AM
Oh, and if your dominant hand is the one with arthritis but your "weak" hand doesn't have an issue - start training yourself to shoot off handed
I will experiment with that. One of my favorite toys of late has been a Glock 17MOS with a Burris Fastfire on top. It makes switching hands much easier, and even switching eyes.

Blackwater
08-13-2016, 12:38 PM
Arthritis seems to be a near universal as we get older. Mine is the "wear and tear" kind. And I earned every pang of it, too! There's awfully good advice above, but if anyone here tends to shy away from, where possible, the pills the docs give, there are many other products, mostly lotions of one kind or another, out there to try.

One of my friends was having real problems with his hands, and he is a retired and most excellent mechanic. He can work on conventional reciprocating motors in any kind of vehicle, and electrics like on many golf carts. And in his retirement, he volunteers himself out to help any friend or whoever he finds in need with his skills, all free of charge! He even pays for some of the parts oftentimes, figuring he's better able to bear the expense than some of the folks whose vehicles he works on!

When he came exclaiming about how much help one of these gave him, I just HAD to try it for myself. Just went and got the bottle so I can post a source for it, and used it, and it's loosened up my sometimes stiff fingers so I can type this out better. It's called, believe it or not, "Two Old Goats," and comes in an 8 oz. dark blue bottle with squeezable opening in the cap. It's white, and reading the ingredients list, it doesn't make sense how that little amount of pretty common things could possibly help like it does, but it has made a significant difference not only to him, but to me and another mutual friend as well. It's no cure, but it does provide some significant amount of relief. If anyone wants to try it, the toll free number on the bottle to call for it, if you can't find it locally, is 866-324-3787. Like all these remedies, they can't and don't always work for everyone, but this one has helped in all 3 of the instances where I know it's been tried, and it's not unpleasant smelling, which is always an asset with some of these remedies. I got it from a local "country store" here, and they seem to be selling a good bit of it, and reorder regularly from what I've seen on the shelves. It was $9 a bottle here, but I can't say what they charge on the number listed, and there's shipping, but arthritis is one of those conditions where the price of things that help isn't nearly as important as the fact of whether or not it DOES help! Arthritis is one of those things that makes one cry out, like Marcell Ledbetter did up that tree with the lynx, "Just shoot up here amongst us, one of us HAS to have some relief!"

quilbilly
08-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Welcome to my world! I have arthritis in my wrist joints so traded off my semi-autos last year since I couldn't pull the slides back. I can still shoot revolvers OK and doubt my Contenders will ever be much of an issue because of the style I shoot them. Rifles are not an issue with me and since my CB loads are lighter than full house jacketed loads, doubt any problem will happen. The arthritis in my knees and ankles keep me from walking too far but my mountain bike doesn't stress either so I may be as mobile as I ever was on abandoned logging roads where I hunt. A couple Aleves allows me to get a deer out to the bike. I have hung up my spurs on elk hunting due to the arthritis until I can find some young guy willing to carry the meat out for half. Most important, if you can do as many flexibility exercises as you are able three times a week, it will help maintain what you have for as long as possible. For me stretches and some selective yoga exercises have helped a lot over the last decade or so.

TRX
08-21-2016, 08:09 AM
You'll be taking several anti inflamatories,

I've been on anti-inflammatiories for over 20 years. And I've spent most of this month on the referral-go-round due to heart and kidney problems. According to the cardiologist, both were caused by the anti-inflammatories. And he said that while there are several different types, they *all* cause problems over the long term.

I'd done my "due diligence" and read up on what I was taking when I got the prescriptions, but it never occurred to me to check back every few years and see if new data was available.

Randy in Arizona
08-21-2016, 09:53 AM
I went through a laundry list of anti-inflammatory meds and finally settled on Celebrex 100mg once a day.
I took it for about five years every day that I didn't forget to take all my pills. (CRS syndrome in a 67 year old geezer)
This July I had four days off for the holiday and forgot to take my pills for two days running.
Normally this would have crippled me up fairly thoroughly.
However I had been taking 500mg of Turmeric Curcumin twice a day for several weeks to help with my Diabetes.
So when I got up on the 4th is was a double Oh Sh_t moment.
I remembered I had forgotten to take my pills AND I did not hurt noticeably in both shoulders.
After a bit of thought I discontinued the Celebrex from my daily meds and not taken any since.
Another benefit, I had quit sleeping on my right side years ago because laying on that side for more than a few minutes in that position just hurt too much to get to sleep.
Now I can sleep for hours on that side.

Online information has pointed out that black pepper has an ingredient that makes the turmeric easier for the body to absorb and utilize the turmeric. I have not tried this yet, but have some pills on order.

After a bit of searching and comparing I have settled on the Puritan Pride line of turmeric products. But I think the Turmeric is more important than the supplier.

An article on Turmeric:

https://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric/
(https://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric/)
Links to the ones I use or intend to use:

http://www.puritan.com/turmeric-510/tumeric-curcumin-450-mg-015419

(http://www.puritan.com/turmeric-510/tumeric-curcumin-450-mg-015419)http://www.puritan.com/source-naturals-brand-0111/bioperine-10-mg-060247?ssl=1&

http://www.puritan.com/turmeric-510/turmeric-curcumin-1000-mg-078826

Just another health food nut?
Not really, but I know what has worked for me!

YMMV

Half Dog
08-21-2016, 10:17 AM
I hate to hear of your condition too.

Is a crossbow an option for you?

jonp
08-21-2016, 03:50 PM
I feel your pain. My little finger and next one have arthritis setting in from when I cut them off with a chainsaw and the doctor sewed them back on. He told me at the time it would happen and now 15yrs or so later I'm getting it. My knee's are sore quite often from jumping out of perfectly good airplanes with arthritis setting in there too. The joys of getting old I guess.

The above post about black pepper I've read in other places as well as bee stings in the inflammed joints. Capsicum cream is supposed to work very well on joint pain. I started in with that and a few others like MSM and they seem to be working at keeping the pain at bay but it might be all in my head.

mcdaniel.mac
08-21-2016, 04:08 PM
I hate to hear of your condition too.

Is a crossbow an option for you?
I haven't tried. I can't draw a bow much due to a shoulder injury, but I haven't tried a crossbow yet.

I feel your pain. My little finger and next one have arthritis setting in from when I cut them off with a chainsaw and the doctor sewed them back on. He told me at the time it would happen and now 15yrs or so later I'm getting it. My knee's are sore quite often from jumping out of perfectly good airplanes with arthritis setting in there too. The joys of getting old I guess.

The above post about black pepper I've read in other places as well as bee stings in the inflammed joints. Capsicum cream is supposed to work very well on joint pain. I started in with that and a few others like MSM and they seem to be working at keeping the pain at bay but it might be all in my head.
I expect to get similar results for my knees and ankles. Walk down the hall and it sounds like popcorn!

Never did parachuting myself, and never could understand it until the first time I flew in an Army bird. Can't blame anyone for jumping out of one of those, they don't even have graffiti on the walls!

jcwit
08-21-2016, 07:06 PM
I have gotten some relief since I have been put on oxygen at night. No idea why, may all be in my mind, if it is phychosomatic it's still welcome.

Whatever works!

mcdaniel.mac
08-21-2016, 08:57 PM
I have gotten some relief since I have been put on oxygen at night. No idea why, may all be in my mind, if it is phychosomatic it's still welcome.

Whatever works!
I had trouble with sleep apnea for a while. Really messed me up during the day. I lost some weight and changed how I sleep, and that seems to have helped. My working theory is that the poor sleep was keeping my body from healing the daily damage, which meant more long-term inflammation. Have you been diagnosed with or checked for sleep apnea?

lefty o
08-21-2016, 09:32 PM
first thing is to get in see a doc, get a blood test and see if you have arthritis, and what kind if you do. i have rheumatoid very severe in both wrists. just my experience here, but it has eaten 99% of the cartilidge in both of my wrists. i live in a constant pain i dont think many can imagine. bone on bone all day long, they even hurt when im doing nothing, and i will tell you, you use your hands/wrists more than about any other part of your body. i tell you this not as a woe is me story, but as a reason to get in, find out exactly what is wrong and get it under control. the longer arthritis is allowed to run wild, it will eat your body from the inside out.

jcwit
08-21-2016, 10:08 PM
I had trouble with sleep apnea for a while. Really messed me up during the day. I lost some weight and changed how I sleep, and that seems to have helped. My working theory is that the poor sleep was keeping my body from healing the daily damage, which meant more long-term inflammation. Have you been diagnosed with or checked for sleep apnea?

No I have not, and I am not going to do so. Two TEMAZEPAM 15MG tablets and I sleep like a baby and have done so for years.

What I'm getting from those in the know I've talked to is it puts more oxy in my lower legs thereby healing and lessening the inflamation.

44man
08-23-2016, 09:05 AM
I had episodes where I would stop breathing as soon as I started to drift off. UTTER PANIC!
I found Nyquil fixed it. Then I found my allergy doc. I was allergic to everything and walnut trees the worst. Only things that did not bother me was dogs, mold and mildew. I was getting hives in my throat.
I started the shots and was cured right away but had to take shots for 5 years with adjustments in the serum. Nothing bothers me now and has been near 20 years.
A friend had asthma and I told her to go see my doc. He actually about cured her. She can breath and sleep. She does not have to carry an inhaler.
Apnea CAN be an allergy. I was there and to fly out of bed in panic is the worst thing EVER.

WBA
08-23-2016, 01:49 PM
It's not arthritis but I did have some pretty significant injuries to my right shoulder and right hand a couple years ago. Following the two surgeries my right arm was in a sling and only my thumb and trigger finger were free to move in the cast. Before that I only shot ARs and hand cannons but I really got into rimfire. I went out and bought a 10/22 and a decent rest. Thought a lead sled was overkill for a .22. I loved it! I'd go out to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through that stock rifle and have a great time. In hindsight it was more fun just because I was out at the range with people who have a similar passion for firearms and marksmanship.

That was three years ago, now I'm out of the Army and almost fully recovered but I still love to shoot 22s. Heck I barely shoot my ARs or Sigs anymore. I really enjoying wheel guns now. Thought they were dumb when I was in my 20s.

Just goes to show having to adjust what you shoot and how you shoot isn't always a bad thing. Could open you up to a new passion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk