PDA

View Full Version : 40/9mm/45acp Semi auto plinking rifle

MediumCore358
08-09-2016, 04:25 AM
I'd love to have a semi auto rife in pistol caliber but currently live in the "shot hole" state of NY, beautiful land but horrible metropolitan laws spreading like cancer. I wanted a Thompson 10 years ago should have bought it for the nostalgia, I'd like a cheap hi-point carbine just to have lol. I know these guns are not match shooters but still I WANT! What's a man to do in NY until I'm free? I've heard rumors of Hi-points with compliant stocks but can't find any. Does anyone know of any other options? B.S. Laws! UN-safe Act!

koehlerrk
08-09-2016, 05:03 AM
Fellow WNY inmate, it comes down to how badly do you want one...

The Ruger Camp Carbines are NY legal, for now anyways. Good luck finding one.
Semi auto aside, have you looked into a Marlin or Henry levergun in 357? I have a pre-Remington Marlin 1894 that the kids and I all love.

I know what you mean about missed opportunities... I still kick myself for not buying a Sub-2000 when I had the chance...

GhostHawk
08-09-2016, 08:30 AM
It is my understanding that the offending part is the pistol grip. Were you to remove it you also remove the ability to insert a magazine.

My advice, get OUT while the getting is possible. Then go buy a handful.

I had 3 Hipoint carbines, sold one to my shooting buddy. Thinking about replacing it.
Have both 9mm and 40sw, and I think the 9mm is more accurate.

Lever gun is indeed I think your best bet for Pistol caliber Carbine in NY.
The other option would be something like an SKS or AK with no pistol grip.

Tackleberry41
08-09-2016, 11:45 AM
Gonna be hard to find what you can own. ANYTHING semi auto I have seen, has a pistol grip. A lever gun would work, just not going to find one in those cheap to shoot calibers.

I have a mechtech unit in 40, but it has a pistol grip. Not sure the legality on it as its a pistol frame with a rifle upper on it.

The high points are ok, accurate enough, bulky and not very pretty, those single column mags.

I have yet to pick up my Sub2000.

Lloyd Smale
08-11-2016, 06:42 AM
is an ar15 legal there? My cmmg 9mm is about as much fun as you can have with your pants on.

bandsmoyer
08-11-2016, 07:18 AM
I believe an ATI stock would make a Hi-Point legal. check it out.

kayala
08-11-2016, 09:00 AM
Would Beretta's CX-4 Storm with it's thumbhole stock still be illegal ?

MediumCore358
08-12-2016, 11:26 PM
Based of the UN-safe Act of NY having more than 2 of the following features would make a rifle illegal: semi auto,pistol grip/thumbhole, detachable magazine, threaded barrel, bayonet lug. You know because the way you hold a gun with your "silencer" while assaulting them with your bayonet is really a problem up here. So yeah. I bought a Rossi 92 in .357 last yeah as well as my father's .44 they are fun times! There is a neutered version of an AR floating around these parts it's somehow more safe because in lacks the pistol grip, does anyone know if I can change to upper to a different caliber? Bought 2x Mini 14's because they are "safe" Lol. I thought about the Chiappa? 30 carbine clone in 9mm but with the mixed reviews and being out of stock lately I haven't pulled the trigger on the deal. As far as camp carbines go I think they're neat but can't pay what they are asking, now would be a good time to bring them back in my opinion.

mcdaniel.mac
08-13-2016, 12:25 AM
The Chiappa M1-9 or whatever they call it is a disappointment. There's plastic parts that should be metal, some of the metal parts are poorly finished. Maybe a decent project gun if you're a welder with a mill.

If you're stuck with NY law, the Thorsden stock seems to be the way to go. Look at the TNW Aero, I believe they sell an NY version.

Zthomps
08-14-2016, 12:46 AM
Marlin camp 9 if you can find one haven't seen a hi point with complaint stock cause if feeds thru a pistol grip

Harter66
08-14-2016, 11:20 AM
If the AR lower is a MIL spec semi auto lower hidden in a "straight" stock then yes the uppers should work .

Have you looked at a Rhineland conversion for a Mauser ? While store bought 45 ACP isn't cheap it's pretty cheap for us . You can always ream a deeper chamber if you "need" more power or I believe the bbl are set up so that they can be set back to GAP. I haven't tried it yet but a magnum Mauser might handle Colts, Casuall and S&W with the rims being about the same as the mag belt dia.
Rhineland offers a 7.62x39 kit and while not a perfect fit the x39 is very close to the 40/10 mm head/rim . Their kits are under $200 last time I looked and available for 95,96 and 98s with only a couple of exceptions. There isn't a 40/10mm kit but the x39 bbl should be able to be sold to buy a 40 cal bbl to fit .

A Savage Axis is the next best thing to an erector set 223 shares (or close enough) the 380/9mm/9x21/9x23/9mm mag rim head and again with a bbl in hand and a magazine block your off . There are bolt heads available for 6.8 SPC and x39 which opens up the 40/10mm and obviously the GAP/ACP family fits in the 308 bolt head . For under $300 you get into donor 223 rifle and for a little more there is 1 that takes AR mags and in theory the mag adapters for Glock mags for $300 more you have a mag adapter bolt head and bbl for the rimless pistol cartridge of your choice and you get to keep the other bbl . Should you get bored with it you can get your money back and maybe a little more having a complete swap kit or selling the now spare parts for the new parts .

There are lots of options with so many "modular" rifles available today.

MediumCore358
08-20-2016, 12:29 AM
I found Ar-15's for sale locally playing on the fringes of law and I find it somewhat funny as well as pathetic. Ar15's available for sale in NY! Can you believe it?! Lol They have muzzle break/flash suppressors, pistol grip, and what looks like a collapsible stock with 10 round magazine... all legal. How can this be? The magazine is bolted and epoxied in place, so it's a top feed 7 round(legal capacity) . I applaud this businesses effort and pushing the limit but still how lame is NYS.

dverna
08-20-2016, 11:34 AM
I thought that NY had a magazine limit of 7 rounds....is that correct? If that is the case, getting a high cap semi-auto seems pointless.

A pistol caliber lever action is a fun gun but you need to reload to make it cheap to shoot. I have three in .38/.357. About the best buy is the Rossi if money is tight but they have a funky safety, are a bit rough out of the box and a pain to work on. The Marlins and 1873 clones are slicker, and easier to work on.

mcdaniel.mac
08-20-2016, 12:59 PM
Word on the street is that Wilkinson is planning to re-release their Linda carbines, no word on when yet. Won't help anyone in a ban state, but for anyone looking for some nostalgia it will.