PDA

View Full Version : looking for ANZAC Biscuit recipes

scrapcan
05-27-2008, 12:14 PM
OK all you from downunder lets hear what they are supposed to be. I have found several recipes on the net, but I want the real deal.

Here is a link form the AWM, is this the one?

http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/anzac/biscuit/recipe.asp

or is this page also a good reference?

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-food/anzac-biscuits.htm

or this one

http://www.world-food-and-wine.com/anzac-biscuits-australia.html

carpetman
05-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Manleyjt---go to www.castpics.net (or just follow link at bottom of this page) once at Castpics,click on recipes then click on Carpetmans biscuit---simple and easy and very good. Please try them and let us know what you think.

scrapcan
05-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Carpetman,

Been there done that, works great.

Different kind oof bisuit in this thread. To us on this side of the pond, we would refer to them as cookies. I will tell you that you better not be calling them that to anyone who knows what they really are, they are ANZAC Biscuits. As I read it the term is in the law in Australia and New Zealand.

It is traditional to prepare and consume them on ANZAC day as mentioned when reading about ANZAC day.

twotrees
05-27-2008, 08:12 PM
The tradition started in the war time the wives would make the cookies from basic ingredients and send them to soldiers overseas.

The term ANZAC comes from :

Australia
New
Zealand
Army
Corp

Many Companies have tried to "mass produce" these Biscuits (Cookies) and never the same as a small batch fresh from the oven at home.

Manleyjt - check your pm ...... our secret .... this one came from my old "Australian" High School Home Economics cookbook.

Redfoxy (the other half of) TwoTrees

PS YOU ARE THE FIRST I HAVE SHARED THE RECIPE WITH IN SEVEN YEARS OF BEING AWAY FROM HOME.

45 2.1
05-28-2008, 07:47 AM
Manleyjt - check your pm ...... our secret .... this one came from my old "Australian" High School Home Economics cookbook.

Redfoxy (the other half of) TwoTrees

PS YOU ARE THE FIRST I HAVE SHARED THE RECIPE WITH IN SEVEN YEARS OF BEING AWAY FROM HOME.

Aww, come on now, all this search and the payoff isn't there. Please post it................

scrapcan
05-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Redfoxy and twotrees,

The secret recipe is safe with me. If they want a general recipe they can look at the above links in my earlier posting. I asked for the following reason.

I have been blessed witht eh friendship of several fellows one Aussie and one Canadian who are both no longer with us. Both were veterans and both served their country as Allies of this country. It is a tribute that I take a few moments during Canada's Rememberance day and ANZAC day in their honor and in the honor of the others who served with and for our armed services.

In Ray's and his mates memory I would really like to have a couple biscuits on their day.

PS I am afraid I better not call just to hear the drawl from down under. Some people like the sweet southern (US) belle's drawl, I rather prefer the true southern drawl. Take care.

Thanks guys.

Nardoo
05-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Not sure if these ingredients are available in the US but this is what my good wife uses here in Oz. (She will type this recipe out...I am a dinousaur on the keyboard)

ANZAC BISCUITS

Make these as large or as small as you like. Biscuits will keep in airtight containers for at least a week or will freeze for 2 months. Recipe unsuitable to microwave.

*1 cup rolled oats
*1 cup plain flour
*1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
*1/2 cup coconut
*125g butter
*2 tablespoons golden syrup (heaped)
*1 tablespoon water
*1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda

1. Combine oats, sifted flour, sugar and coconut in a large bowl. Combine butter, golden syrup and water in a small saucepan, stir constantly over medium heat until butter is melted; stir in soda (or combine butter, golden syrup and water in microwave-proof jug, cook on HIGH for about 1 minute or until butter is melted). Stir in soda. Stir mixture into dry ingredients.

2. Place rounded teaspoons of mixture 5 cm apart onto lightly greased oven trays; bake in moderately slow oven (approx. 150 degrees C) for about 20 minutes or until biscuits feel slightly firm. Use spatula or slide to loosen biscuits on trays, cool on trays.

Makes about 25.

*** I always double this recipe, for the trouble you go to, you may as well make twice the number!

*** Biscuits will feel uncooked after the alloted cooking time but they firm up as they cool.

*** People in Australia like these two ways; if you like a crunchy biscuit i.e one you can dunk in you cup of tea, you can cook a little longer. If you prefer a chewy biscuit, only cook the 20 minutes - or even less, depending on your oven.

GOOD LUCK!
(Mrs Nardoo)

Thanks dear. Well do not worry about the cup of tea, these biscuits go well with a stubbie of VB.

Nardoo

scrapcan
05-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Nardoo and Mrs. Nardoo,

appreciate the passing of your recipe also. I think these biscuits will make a great extension to many occasions, and especially when I take a few moments on behalf of ANZAC contribution to hsitory.

As a side note, when I was a kid my family had a couple come over to the US from OZ to purchase bulls and horses. Fred and Ida Rowe stayed with my uncle a few days and we all assisted them with visiting cattle and horse producers and some of the logistics of getting livestock enroute to OZ.

I had a great time as a kid and will forever remember driving from the wrong side of the vehicle and learning what knocking someone up really means. Or the thoughts of real beer drinkers having to drink our commercial light beers, I agree with them that we should be drinking real beer but that is another story.

Also had a visit on a professional level from one of the Australian states water resource managment agency personnel. It was very interesting and I would dearly love to visit OZ and discuss how water resources are handled here as he had relayed how they are handled in his part of the world.

Anyway, as usual we have great members from all over the world and I appreciate you willingness to share all the knowledge.

Wicky
05-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Hi Nardoo,
Chewy is the only way to go! Mum makes them but she's down south so I don't get them too often anymore. Thank your missus for the recipe - I might have a go. They reckon it's easier than boiling water to make them and Iv'e just about got that down pat now!!

scrapcan
06-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Hey guys my first batch is out of the way. I made the chewy kind. Also made a couple of subs as my wife has a wheat and gluten allergy. I used non-gluten flour and non gluten rolled oats. Next batch will be for me and be traditional ingredients. I like them and they were easy to make.

I would also like to publicly thank Two Trees and especially RedFoxy for the recipe and the additional package that arrived in the mail. The other item will be proudly displayed when indulging in the biscuits and when remembering my friend and the other ANZAC soldiers.

I cannot express the pride I felt when RedFoxy and Twotrees sent along the package to me.

So what was in the package? RedFoxy sent me an Australian National Flag. Proper flag edicate will always be practiced. Thank your for your kindness. This is but another testament to the people who reside here on the board.

JeffinNZ
06-12-2008, 06:27 PM
My 3 1/2 year daughter and I make them a lot. They are easy to make and good on a budget.

twotrees
06-13-2008, 01:51 AM
Manley

Your deserving and very welcome.

Yep tis RedFoxy typing again.