PDA

View Full Version : lyman 45 lube sizer

DanWalker
10-27-2005, 01:01 AM
Got a line on a lyman 45 lube sizer for cheap. What can you guys tell me about them? should I jump on it, or put my hard earned rubles back in my pocket until they multiply sufficiently to buy a new sizer? Would lyman repair or overhaul this press if it needed it? Will current top punches and dies work in it? Are there issues with this press that I need to look out for or that would make me regret buying it?
Thanks guys,
Dan

PatMarlin
10-27-2005, 01:23 AM
I like em' a lot and I have 2.

Pretty darn well built, and totally repairable. Takes both RCBS and Lyman dies.

Parts available at Lyman.

Paid bout $25 for one, and $35 for the other, and both had dies and punches in them.

Three thumbs up!! :Fire: :coffeecom

Powderpacker
10-27-2005, 08:47 AM
I like em' a lot and I have 2.

Pretty darn well built, and totally repairable. Takes both RCBS and Lyman dies.

Parts available at Lyman.

Paid bout $25 for one, and $35 for the other, and both had dies and punches in them.

Three thumbs up!! :Fire: :coffeecom
Roger that ! The 45's are great little machines.

Cherokee
10-27-2005, 12:55 PM
Buy it !

454PB
11-02-2005, 01:51 AM
I wore one Lyman 45 out, then bought a 450. I then ordered replacement parts for the 45 and got it going again. As I recall, it took forever to get the parts from Lyman. The big difference between the two models is the handle and return system, dies and nose punches are identical. The 45 can be updated to use the 450 mechanism, but the parts cost more than what you are purchasing the whole machine for. I recently broke the handle completely off of the 450, and had to make new parts and weld it together again. I've also replaced all the toggle linkage bolts with grade 8's. Those straight linotype 45/70 bullets are hard on sizers!

PatMarlin
11-02-2005, 05:05 AM
Definitely not a "rock chucker" grade press. Gotta go a little easy on the old guys, and I sometimes use LEE 's for some heavy sizing, and lube with the 45.