PDA

View Full Version : Strange day casting

R.Newman
08-06-2016, 04:46 PM
I don't cast a lot maybe do 100 to 200 at a time I have a small Lyman pot and cast with a dipper. Today I cast 50 or so 405 gr. Boolits and no problems then I added some more lead and was going to cast some 250 gr. Boolits for the colt that's when things went south. The dipper would plug up and not pour if it did the sprue plate would plug up and the bullet would only half fill in.I thought not hot enough turned to max heat and heated the mold more then got frosted bullets Isn't think I have any zinc in the mix I have used this Bach of lead before and all my pewter is hallmarked it was 20 to 1 by the way I got one bullet half frosted half not any ideas on what happened?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160806/7f20dc18ab0fc72ce655e01ef19a8fed.jpg

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Victor N TN
08-06-2016, 04:58 PM
My opinion is that everything was too cold. Both pot and mold. I'm sure others will sing out soon.

OS OK
08-06-2016, 05:04 PM
I'd hesitate to venture my opinion but...I'll hazard this idea...ole Murphy showed up for a visit...:bigsmyl2:

shredder
08-06-2016, 05:11 PM
I'm with Victor N TN. It really sounds like things were just not hot enough rather than a contamination issue.

R.Newman
08-06-2016, 05:16 PM
That's what I was thinking I think the pot maybe done for need to get a thermometer thanks for the input

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Walter Laich
08-06-2016, 08:00 PM
a bit more info please
how long did you wait from the time you added your alloy till you tried casting?

did you clean out your dipper? sometime junk can accumulate at the nozzle (if it has one that is)

I'm leaning, as the others are, at too cold mold--those 250 gr molds seem to require more heat to get them completely filled

Blackwater
08-06-2016, 09:18 PM
+1 with Victor here, too. More heat in lead and mold and I'm betting it goes away.

TXGunNut
08-06-2016, 10:53 PM
For some folks a good thermometer is an option, for me it's required equipment.

runfiverun
08-07-2016, 01:28 AM
that's how I learned to adjust the contacts in my old lee.
it always run cold then one day it just kept on getting colder.
I had to re-solder the power cord contacts and figured out how to adjust the little strips that controls temp under the dial.
it's been going good since then.

bedbugbilly
08-07-2016, 09:06 AM
I'm pretty low tech - use a dipper, pot and propane hot plate to cast - never used an electric one. And, I use "range lead". But I do pour a lot of Lyman/Ideal 454-190 RNFP boolits. I would say that your mold and your lead weren't hot enough. If you are using a Lyman bottom pour dipper and the spout is freezing off as well . . . that's a pretty good indication as well. Not only does the lead and mold need to be heated amply to get a good pour . . . so does the ladle

Knowing nothing about the electric melters - I have thought some about getting a Lee or Lyman so I could have that option instead of pulling the propane tank, hot plate, etc. out at times. If I do, I will also purchase a replacement thermostat and spare heating elements "just in case". I do know that they do go bad and usually when you need 'em most!

Good luck to you . . . some days just seem to be better to cast than others . . . hopefully things will go well the next time you fire up the pot! :-)

longbow
08-07-2016, 10:04 AM
I'll join the "not hot enough" group of comments.

Your alloy may be hot enough but I am betting the mould and maybe dipper aren't.

Once the alloy is up to temperature and you have pre-heated the mould, start casting and the sprue puddle should take a few seconds to harden. If it freezes right away the alloy and/or mould temperature is not hot enough. if you are sure the alloy is hot enough then it is the mould.

Start casting and keep up a steady rhythm to keep the mould and dipper hot. Don't stop to examine boolits, just keep casting at a fast rate and again the sprue puddle should take a few seconds to harden.

I pre-heat my moulds to a little hotter than the alloy so the first few boolits take quite a while to freeze and even then some come out soft. After a few pours. the mould cools enough that I get good boolits.

My view is that the mould should be just a bit cooler than the melt when I start casting. I find it easier to pre-heat the mould then let it cool a bit than casting boolits until the mould is hot enough.

My temperature gauge for the mould is the sprue plate lube. As soon as the sprue plate lube just starts to smoke the mould is hot enough and I start casting and go steady ~ as fast as the sprue puddle freezes I cut the sprue, drop the boolit then pour as soon as the mould is all closed up again. fast as I can do it.

And +1 for checking the spout on the dipper if it has one. If the spout drosses up then the lead won't pour fast enough. That can cause problems too.

And speaking of dross... make sure you flux the alloy regularly and skim of the dross because the dross can plug things up and cause casting difficulties.

Works for me anyway.

Longbow

robg
08-08-2016, 02:14 PM
More heat and maybe a little tin to help fillout.