PDA

View Full Version : Homemade mold support

Bill*
05-26-2008, 10:21 PM
I had an idea for a mold support I thought I'd share with anyone interested. It cost less than a dollar and works well. I got a 5.25" long 1/4-20 bolt and 2 flange nuts (regular nuts would work but I liked the extra support) from Lowes and drilled a hole directly under the pot. I found a piece of aluminum from an old screen door frame, bent it and drilled it for a thread insert pop rivet and added a thumb screw. I then slid the bolt down through the base of the pot and tightened to jam the bolt head slightly against the pot base. See picture below. (I hope....first time uploading picture). It works well, is quite sturdy, and fully adjustable with a twist of the thumbscrew. You could change dimensions to fit other pots I'm sure. I hope someone finds this as useful as I did. Regards.......Bill

oscar
05-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Very nice!
I always worried about the pot hanging on the heating element and one small screw only.
Oscar

hotwheelz
05-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Nicely done think I will make one this weekend , thanks for sharing

LAH
05-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Gee Bill, you did great.....Creeker

dbldblu
05-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Also gives the pot more support; they will sag over the years.

Bill*
05-27-2008, 11:38 PM
I forgot to mention: If you look closely at the very top of the enlarged picture, you can see another small piece of that aluminum screwed to the top of the pot (using the screw already there) with a notch filed into it to keep a thermometer angled out for easy reading. The added weight to the pour handle was mentioned in a separate post ( see Lee "Drip-o-matic" Fix ). I guess I like to tinker!

copdills
05-28-2008, 01:00 AM
Great job , always a better way and you found it :drinks:

miestro_jerry
05-30-2008, 07:38 PM
I like your idea! I will probably do something like that for mine.

Jerry

largecaliberman
06-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Bill,
I did the same except I got a 1/4" x 2" flat iron and bent it in the same manner and tapped in a thread to secure the mold support. After many years of usage, the original mold support's thread stripped. Nice pot, mine looks pretty well beat up.