PDA

View Full Version : Range results: 338 federal - lee 220 gr. Ww

michiganmike
08-05-2016, 03:35 PM
I went to the range today for the first time in awhile with my Savage Model 11 in 338 Federal. I was trying various powders to help me narrow down the candidates for further load development. Here are the results.

Alloy: wheel weights + tin to bring tin content up to an approximate 2%. (Everything is an approximation with ww imo.
Bullet: Lee 220 gr.
Lube: BLL (Ben's Liquid Lube, 2 coats)
Brass: resized 7.61X51 military brass, all the same headstamp, FC (Federal Cartridge)
OAL: 2.8"
Distance: 50 yards (Wanted 100, but did not want to walk the 100 yards repeatedly in the heat and humidity.)
Weather Conditions: Hot, humid, overcast, with wind gusts from my 10 o'clock
Firing sequence: let the barrel cool down for several minutes between each five round set.

Powder Charge Est. Velocity* Group Comments
RL 15 35 gr. 1925 1" diameter Fired a second set of five and started to string vertically and left of center. Has promise though.

H4895 30 gr. 1800 1/2" " Group was 2" left of center, but very tight group. H4895 has become a favorite of mine for my 7mm-08 and may be for the 338.
Would like to work up a 2000 accurate load.

SR4759 26 gr. 2000 1" " First group fired. First group fired were 2" low. After correction all of 5 rounds in the 1" bull.

IMR 4227 30 gr. 2100 X The Savage did not like this powder with this charge. Was last set fired. Heat, fatigue and several trips back and forth to the target
may be contributing factors.
H4198 28 gr. 1950 2" " Again, Savage did not especially care for this powder in this charge. But it did group. This was my second to the last set fired and
fatigue, etc. may have played a role.

So, I accomplished my goal. I will be working further with RL 15, H4895 and SR4759. But the H4895 really stands out and will receive my closest attention.

I've only owned the Savage 11 for a year. I love it. Affordable, good looking. The trigger is amazing. It's accurate.

I want to praise the Fowler Conservation Club range. The land was donated by a member with a farm nearby. It has 25, 50, 75 and 100 yard rifle and pistol ranges. There is also an archery and a shotgun range. All built and maintained by members. Membership is $20 a year. That's not a type: $20 per year. No range master, open for use from sunup do sundown. It's in a beautiful location, out in farming country. It is a 45 minute drive, but it is worth every mile for the enjoyable conditions.

Questions and comments welcome.

* Based on the reduced load calculator available on this site.

MichiganMike

michiganmike
08-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Formatting (spacing of chart) did not come through when published. Sorry about that.

runfiverun
08-05-2016, 11:06 PM
it's readable.
long way to go to shoot but you do what you have to.
your club fee's are the same as here, but ours are optional.
good to hear the tumble lube is working well.

michiganmike
08-06-2016, 03:40 PM
"long way to go to shoot but you do what you have to."

The Michigan DNR has a range that's less than half the distance. No fee to use. At one time the Range Master was a crusty, retired Gunnery Sergeant. He kept the rules simple and the range safe. Since then the Range Masters are two recent grads. None of them act is if they really want to be there, like the Gunny. And it seems they are routinely getting on the bull horn and correcting someone's behavior. And the sound isn't good, so it's hard to tell who he talking to.

Not conducive to a relaxing, enjoyable time at the range. So, I drive the extra miles, enjoy the peace and quiet at the Fowler Conservation Club, and the drive through the countryside.

dragon813gt
08-06-2016, 04:22 PM
This cartridge keeps calling my name. I made the decision to only buy rifles chambered for cartridges based on easily obtainable brass. And LC 7.62 brass is the easiest to come by. Maybe one day I will purchase one. Those results are very promising.

One of the ranges I belong to costs $20 a year. It's an eight minute drive from home. Rifle is out to 300 yards, which is why I'm a member there. They have a nice archery range complete w/ elevated tower. But there are no provisions for pistol. If no one is there you can walk closer to the target backers. Oh well, that's why I'm a member of other clubs. There are around fifteen clubs w/in thirty minutes of my house. While there are no shortages of places to shoot I want enough property to have my own range :)

jmort
08-06-2016, 05:11 PM
The .338-08 is where the case maxes out performance wise. You get north of 3,000 ft lbs. I am for sure working in this direction.

dverna
08-06-2016, 06:58 PM
I seriously looked at the .338 Federal for the reasons dragon enumerated. But then I thought, "Why, not just go to a .358?" There are so many good cast bullets for the .358. Still have not pulled the trigger on either. The .338 Federal is a great cartridge. Glad you are successful with it. Keep us posted

runfiverun
08-07-2016, 01:37 AM
the 338 has a bit better BC with the longer boolit.
the 358 win does pretty well with 250gr boolits but the recoil will get your attention when you ramp things up.