PDA

View Full Version : Wireless modem problem?

xs11jack
08-05-2016, 12:45 PM
I have a wireless modem from Century link that has, on the far right side a button that is lit up all the time and has the letters WPS in green on it. The green letters stay on without blinking. Occasionally the letters turn red and blink. I can press the button but nothing happens or changes, I can use it the same as always, but I don't know what this blinky, blinky is all about. Any help out there? Oh, if I turn the power off and then on, it goes back to solid green again.
Ole Jack

DerekP Houston
08-05-2016, 02:13 PM
I would contact your service provider and ask for a replacement. If you are under contract you should be eligible for replacement for free and typically they are upgraded at the same time. If they try to charge you for it, just buy your own new one online from amazon. They are very easy to replace, pretty much just plug and play if it matches what your service provider requires.

Sounds like it got a power surge or something is interfering with the signal.

kayala
08-05-2016, 02:23 PM
If I'm not mistaken WPS stands for Wi-Fi Protected Setup. What it means is that you can push the button and for a short period of time it will make a wireless network active then on your computer lookup that wireless network and connect to it. Once connected you'll get an access to configuration settings of that device. Pretty much all modern router manufacturers provide this functionality. Check out that link (http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-pk5000-wireless-wps.html) from your modem manufacturer.

popper
08-05-2016, 02:25 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup possible you have someone piggybacking your router.

jcren
08-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Wps is wireless protected set-up. Just a shortcut for conecting wps devices without having to put in network info manually. If using wps device, you press the wps button, it should start flashing indicating it is looking for a device, then press wps in the device and the two should pair automatically. If that is your only problem, I wouldn't worry about it.

xs11jack
08-05-2016, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys, I think I got it. Appreciate your knowledge.
Ole Jack

MT Gianni
08-07-2016, 08:39 PM
The red flash is someone trying to access your wifi. If it is you push the button and allow the device. If it isn't grab a shot gun and go out the front door, but don't push the button. It is there for a password bypass. Our Centurylink password was factory set unchangeable at 73 characters.

victorfox
08-10-2016, 07:09 AM
The red flash is someone trying to access your wifi. If it is you push the button and allow the device. If it isn't grab a shot gun and go out the front door, but don't push the button. It is there for a password bypass. Our Centurylink password was factory set unchangeable at 73 characters.

I kinda like this wifi protection method. 12-gauge encryption always work!