PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Raging Bull 444 - 6" - Leading Problem

jahela
05-26-2008, 03:19 PM
After firing a few jacketed bullets throgh the new barrel, I proudly tested my casted from a SAECO #440 (240 gr SWC BB) and found lead in the grooves at the rear two inches of the barrel. Alloy was WW, water dropped.

I nearly expected the leading because the bullets were not .430, they were smaller like nearly all of my moulds when they are new...
So I lapped and beageled the mould that the bullets are nicely sizeable to .430.

But: Now the bullet is larger than the bores in the chambers (don't find the right word for that... :roll:)

- Makes it sense to cast larger bullets when they get downsized by the chamber while firing?
- Will I now get a leading-problem in the chambers?
- Is it necessary to enlarge the ... (you know) with a taper reamer?

The barrel has five groves so it isn't easy to take the exact dimensions.
Has anybody the fild-grove-diameters of the Raging Bull?

Dirk

454PB
05-26-2008, 10:41 PM
The word you're looking for is chamber throat. If the throats are smaller than the bore, they need to be reamed, because they are sizing the boolit before it enters the barrel. That will cause leading and reduced accuracy with cast boolits. One test is to slug the barrel, then see if the resulting slug is a loose fit in the chamber throats.

Buckshot
05-27-2008, 02:13 AM
..............Leading in the first part of the barrel can be for several reasons, or a combination. Too hot a load, improper alloy, or improper sizing. There can also be mechanical issues like a rough forcing cone, forcing cone-chamber mouth mis-alignment, and undersized chamber mouths (causing undersized boolits).

..............Buckshot

jahela
05-27-2008, 11:36 AM
... they need to be reamed...

That was what I feared:(
Is there a special tool or can it be done with a standard tapered reamer?

dwtim
05-27-2008, 01:21 PM
I'd say it's better to take the relevant measures before even considering hand-cutting your chamber throats. I have a Ruger that has those problems, but that's because every throat is a different size!

Anyone ever take a look at the Raging Bull? They have an unusual cut for the forcing cone. I passed up a RB 454 because of this and the warnings regarding heavy bullets in the gun. (And you'd be surprised at what Taurus considers heavy in the 44 Mag: see pages 7 and 9 of the linked manual.)

Clicky: Revolver Manual (http://taurususa.com/pdf/manual_revolver.pdf)

My advice is to sell this white elephant before it costs you even more money.

EDIT: No two guns are the same; you have to measure the bore in your gun.

454PB
05-27-2008, 02:44 PM
I own 3 Taurus revolvers, and only the Raging Bull ever gave me any problems. It developed a habit of droping the cylinder open in heavy recoil. I sent it in and it was warranty repaired, no problems since.

Mine is a .454 Casull, and I have to say it is dimensionally as perfect as my Freedom Arms 83. I've had zero leading problems, every throat slugs .452", the bore is .452", and the barrel cylinder gap is a tight .003". It shoots and groups very well, as good as any magnum revolver I've owned. The only thing I'd change is that ported barrel. All is does is increase muzzle blast and collect boolit lube.

I do fully agree with dwtim, don't do any alterations until all measurements have been done. A good gunsmith can ream the throats if required, or you can send just the cylinder away to be done. I've heard good things about this fellow:
http://www.cylindersmith.com/

jahela
05-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Good link, thanks!
But I have to find a gunsmith here in germany who is able to do this.

dwtim
05-27-2008, 04:27 PM
I own 3 Taurus revolvers, and only the Raging Bull ever gave me any problems. It developed a habit of droping the cylinder open in heavy recoil. I sent it in and it was warranty repaired, no problems since.

Doesn't it have a front latch? What did you do, take it to a gunsmith and tell him to make it shoot just like a Smith and Wesson? ;)

(I'm teasing; my brother just sent back his S&W 629 for the second time because of this exact problem.)

454PB
05-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Yup, it has the same faulty design as the old Dan Wesson revolvers. You have to push forwards on the rear latch and downwards on the front (crane) latch. It doesn't take a rocket engineer to see that recoil activates both latches. They should have made the rear latch like a Colt....pull it rearwards to release. When mine returned, there was no explanation of what repairs were done. I suspect they simply installed heavier springs.

northwolf
10-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Good link, thanks!
But I have to find a gunsmith here in Germany who is able to do this.

Dirk,
If you need it, why don't you invest in a reamer from Brownells and rent/lend it to some fellow shooters in Germany, who are in the same boat?
I know it must be tough to get the right person to work on a firearm over there!

leftiye
10-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Or a chucking reamer .430" in diameter.

PatMarlin
10-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Mine is a .454 Casull, and I have to say it is dimensionally as perfect as my Freedom Arms 83. I've had zero leading problems, every throat slugs .452", the bore is .452", and the barrel cylinder gap is a tight .003". It shoots and groups very well, as good as any magnum revolver I've owned. [/url]

Ditto with mine.

jahela
10-19-2008, 03:51 AM
Thanks for your tips! In between I helped myself and bought a standard reamer tapered 1:50. The rear part I grinded a little smaller. The reamer in the lathe and grinding with a band-grinder (is it the right word?) while rotating.

This must be done that only the throat is reamed and not the rear end of the chambers.
Sorry, but it's difficult for me to explain in english, hope I could make it understandable...

Dirk

Heavy lead
10-19-2008, 06:03 AM
We are understanding Dirk, keep talking. With the slang we use, it's probably not easy. There are a lot of helpful people here though. I'm glad you have it solved. Personally I've had good luck with Taurus revolvers, I like them.:-D