PDA

View Full Version : Saw Willie Nelson in concert tonight

richhodg66
08-02-2016, 12:33 AM
Good time with the wife and #2 son. Ol' Willie is getting frail, but he's still got it, played and sang the whole two hours or so without taking any real breaks and never sat down. Hope I'm still as lively when I'm his age, if I make it that far.

shoot-n-lead
08-02-2016, 12:43 AM
Sounds like y'all had a good time. Glad you enjoyed it.

jcwit
08-02-2016, 09:46 AM
Maybe he was toked up and didn't feel anything.:kidding:

marlin39a
08-02-2016, 10:10 AM
That is a show I would love to have seen. 2 of the Highwaymen are gone, Kristopherson is 80 and in poor health. A talented man for sure.

bubba.50
08-02-2016, 11:14 AM
his singin', I really like. his politics, not so much.

Rufus Krile
08-02-2016, 11:55 AM
First Willy concert I went to was in '75 at the McAllen Tx Civic Center. (Holds about 150 people) That was where Jody joined the band... right after 'Red-Headed Stranger' album came out... Whitewing Band opened and played about 3 songs before Willy walked onstage about 7:30pm... We sat on hay bales and drank Lone Star longnecks and whisky... Bathrooms quit working around 9:30 so everyone had to hit the bushes from that point on... Around 10:00 Waylon woke up on the bus and decided to join in the fun... He'd come along for the ride but just couldn't leave it alone... They didn't quit until the city fathers made them shut down at 0200. Absolutely the best concert I ever attended. Like Willy said at the outset, "This isn't a concert, It's a party. Drink up." Been to some real bummers since then... Jerry Jeff after he sobered up... Willy after weed took over the crowd...

After realizing that I sound like some nostalgic old grouch I figure I need to shut this screed down. And Stay Off My Lawn!

mold maker
08-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Been a Willy Nelson fan since I heard the first recording. Never disappointed.
Darn lowlife stole my 23 CD. Slowly replacing them one at a time.
When you hear him, you can feel his soul.

Mtnfolk75
08-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Glad you enjoyed the show, my Oldest Daughter & her Family saw him in Portland a week or so back. They really enjoyed the show, she even texted a short a video of it to me ... [smilie=s:

abunaitoo
08-02-2016, 10:54 PM
I like his singing and music.
Could never understand how someone who's labels them self "country" be so anti gun.

dave524
08-03-2016, 09:14 AM
Supporting the Democrats is good for his Marijuana business.

richhodg66
08-03-2016, 09:18 AM
Well, politics never entered my mind when I heard he was playing here.

I saw Johnny Cash (my favorite musician) in '96 and was very glad I did. I took #2 son to see Bob Dylan after I got back from Iraq last time. Saw Don Williams a couple of years ago (another very favorite of mine). After Merle Haggard and B.B. King died without my ever having gotten to see them, I'm gonna try to not miss a chance to see any of the old greats if I can do it without too much trouble.

bpatterson84
08-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Got to see ole' Willy and Merle(RIP) last year in Austin, Tx. It was an amazing night, and it WAS a party! Merle was on point, great voice still, Willie was a heck of a performer....too bad that show wont be duplicated again. And Willie aint anti gun....he's a good Democrat. "I'm pro second amendment BUT....." and all that other hunting stance ****.

The Governor
08-03-2016, 08:08 PM
Saw, "The Bad Boys of Country", years ago. Merle, Possum, and Conway. 6 big shoes to fill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi3GgoLtlWk

LUCKYDAWG13
08-03-2016, 08:24 PM
his singin', I really like. his politics, not so much.
I feel the same would like to see him but would not pay too

Wild Bill 7
08-03-2016, 08:38 PM
Saw him in concert in Palatka Florida. It was mid August and plenty hot. Lasted about four hours nonstop. Fantastic is all I can say about. That was in the 80's too.

w5pv
08-04-2016, 06:21 PM
In their way the outlaws of country music did a lot for country music

mold maker
08-06-2016, 06:57 PM
They're still a great influence. Remember when Country wasn't cool?

Detroitdanm
08-06-2016, 08:31 PM
I've seen Willie a good many times over the years, though unfortunately not recently. Always a great show. Also listen quite a bit to his music on the streaming service Spotify. Truthfully I think he's getting better as he ages, the voice may not be as strong but it is mellowed to perfection. He has a gift of making whatever song he performs his own. his body of work is amazing and his newest music stands shoulder to shoulder with anything from the past. I was fortunate to see Merle last year and he sounded fantastic, less than 6mos before he passed. Seeing Willie again is high on my to do list. No matter how well he's aged, at some point there will be no more Willie shows and that truly will be a loss.

richhodg66
08-06-2016, 08:44 PM
I was more of a Waylon Jennings fan than a Willie fan, but alas, I never saw him in concert.

I did like Willie, and in a small town Kansas venue, it was an older, easier going crowd than might have been. Kinda nice being in an audience where everybody minds their manners.

Willie is almost the Bob Dylan of country music, he's as much of a song writer as he is a performer.