PDA

View Full Version : Donation Drive Q & A.

Gunload Master
08-01-2016, 10:36 AM
This thread is for the Donation Drive Q & A. Any questions or praise that you would like to give! Thank you all for your donations in keeping this place alive and active!

reddog81
08-01-2016, 12:23 PM
I put in $20.

I guess the only question I have is where does the money go? I'm sure it is needed, but letting people know why the money is needed and what the money allows you to do would help encourage more people to donate.

rancher1913
08-01-2016, 12:45 PM
thats what my only question would be, does this go to fund infrastructure( I like that this site runs fast) or does it go to salaries of some sort. I always thought that the little bit of advertising on this site funded most of the needs (I buy from the advertisers when ever possible). other than that keep up the good work, even with the few squabbles that flare up time to time this is the most informative site I know of. the moderators all have a thankless job so a quick thanks to them[smilie=s:

skeettx
08-01-2016, 01:05 PM
I have my donation set up on Paypal for annual donation subscription, So it dumps in $20 every year to support Patron status.
Mike

Above is stated "This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights!"
As to what this means, I do not know,

but the ANNUAL quest for ONLY $6000 is not going to make anyone rich
AND
my $20 is cheaper than a magazine subscription and much more info is gained here :)

MrWolf
08-01-2016, 04:32 PM
That is why I chose sponsor. Great site.

Gunload Master
08-01-2016, 05:15 PM
Good questions. The funds from the donation drive go into a bank to pay all the server fees for the year. The cost of a full dedicated server that we have is quite expensive just for the server. I am pretty good at handling the server backend software but there are a lot of times i have to hire out to proffesionals in their respective areas to keep this place running efficiently and securly. There are lots of sites that can get hacked and have your email stolen or private messages with your personal info such as home addresses. So i take security quite personal because i do not want any of your information going where it dont belong. I upped the donation from 5,000 to 6,000 because our home is going to start getting much busier as this next election gets closer so the server may be needing more upgrades and security measures. Thanks everyone for the donations!

DerekP Houston
08-01-2016, 05:40 PM
Makes sense to me, thanks for the info. It is one of the reasons I signed up to be a member as soon as I joined. Will make a donation once payday hits ;).

Thanks for keeping this place up for us all.

cpileri
08-01-2016, 06:03 PM
I chose to renew my membership: does it all go to the same place, eventually?

runfiverun
08-01-2016, 07:55 PM
all donations go to keeping the site operating.

crowbuster
08-01-2016, 08:31 PM
I love this place and give every year. It sure aint much. And thanks to all the guys and gals that keep er runnin

smoked turkey
08-01-2016, 11:25 PM
This is some of the best use of the money I donate to various causes. I get more return for my relatively small donation in the form of hours and hours of pleasure reading and exchanging information on a subject that I love. In addition I have made several good friends because of this meeting place. My heart felt thanks to those who own and keep this place running.

K7sparky
08-02-2016, 09:18 AM
This is some of the best use of the money I donate to various causes. I get more return for my relatively small donation in the form of hours and hours of pleasure reading and exchanging information on a subject that I love. In addition I have made several good friends because of this meeting place. My heart felt thanks to those who own and keep this place running.

I couldn't agree more :cbpour:

Been flying over for years - GLAD I finally landed and joined :-D

Kicked in $20 just now to help with election year deluge.

Is this fund drive in addition to my / our yearly subscription? :???:

FISH4BUGS
08-02-2016, 10:53 AM
I am trying to renew my sponsor donation. I get put into this endless loop when I try to pay with check, etc.
HELP!

Bookworm
08-02-2016, 02:21 PM
I used this drive as an excuse to go ahead and become a "patron" of the site. As stated earlier in this thread in several ways, I've gotten much more than $20 worth of info from this site, and met a few like-minded folk.
I've found several vendors that I didn't know existed, and (unfortunately) several products I didn't know I needed until I discovered the products.
Come to think, this place just continues to cost me money....:shock:

rancher1913
08-02-2016, 05:54 PM
sent a check snail mail.

runfiverun
08-02-2016, 06:42 PM
i'll send it along Fish.

No_1
08-02-2016, 07:13 PM
I am trying to renew my sponsor donation. I get put into this endless loop when I try to pay with check, etc.
HELP!

Do you have problems using PayPal for any other action?

FISH4BUGS
08-02-2016, 08:35 PM
Do you have problems using PayPal for any other action?

I don't use PayPal. I'll just send a check with a note.

chambers
08-02-2016, 10:00 PM
The question I have is how is the relationship between " Cast boolits" who has No1 as owner/CEO and Gunloads who has Gunload Master as CEO/CFO. Can the relationship be explained and does the money fund both sites or just one?

DerekP Houston
08-02-2016, 10:11 PM
The question I have is how is the relationship between " Cast boolits" who has No1 as owner/CEO and Gunloads who has Gunload Master as CEO/CFO. Can the relationship be explained and does the money fund both sites or just one?

That is an interesting question, I didn't see the username when the post popped up. It appears Gunloads is a separate forum than owns this site now?

runfiverun
08-02-2016, 11:12 PM
at one time they were two separate websites.
the boolits site was piggybacking on the gunloads site. [you could click a link between the two places from the other site]
eventually the boolits site outrun the gunloads site and they basically merged into one to keep things simple.
if you look at the blue and orange CASTBOOLITS LOGO at the top of the page you'll see at the bottom where it shows
castboolits.gunloads.com that's the domain name here.

OS OK
08-03-2016, 08:05 AM
Who is who behind the site...from the top down?

K7sparky
08-03-2016, 08:25 AM
at one time they were two separate websites.
the boolits site was piggybacking on the gunloads site. [you could click a link between the two places from the other site]
eventually the boolits site outrun the gunloads site and they basically merged into one to keep things simple.
if you look at the blue and orange CASTBOOLITS LOGO at the top of the page you'll see at the bottom where it shows
castboolits.gunloads.com that's the domain name here.

I noticed when I subscribed - just after joining - the PP receipt was Gunloads. I was a bit intrigued but never pursued it.

Thanks for the background:bigsmyl2:

Does that have something to do with your 2 green Mod boxes?

Half Dog
08-03-2016, 08:44 AM
I created an account on Swap Arms and wish to support both boards. Do I need to make separate donations?

runfiverun
08-03-2016, 09:53 AM
well it's not a corporation. [they just got fancy tongue in cheek labels]
Ken, Rob, and Willey deal with the running of the place. [each have their own role, IT, Bill paying, etc.]

I just show up and wander around poking and pointing at things, same as the other Mods do.
I guess I'm more the go between the mods and the guy's keeping the lights on.

it's really the members here that drive the place and keeps it going.
choosing to discuss new ideas, post pictures of their outings, making family announcements, discussing minutia about alloy details.
that's really what keeps things moving forward.
the money just makes it possible to keep the server we tie into up and running and safe.

lefty o
08-03-2016, 11:10 AM
ive always felt that when a site sells advertising space, then asks for "donations", that they were double dipping. just my opinion.

runfiverun
08-03-2016, 11:18 AM
unless the donation goal is to cover what the advertising don't.
I dunno all the particulars, but the donation goal has remained pretty steady.

RogerDat
08-03-2016, 12:35 PM
I work in IT, deal with servers, web sites and applications. This is what I know based on that experience.

Advertisers pay maybe a few tenths of a cent per view if that. Possibly a few cents if the advertising link is clicked from here. Or there can be arrangements that are a flat fee but none of these sources are going to generate large revenue per customer view. Google gets good money from advertising but it has thousands of advertisers, and millions of page views. Along with big data to tailor the ad to your interests so you are more likely to click and generate the bigger payout.

Think of how many advertisements you see one some "free" web sites. Compare that to the simple banner with image links here. While that advertising and any fee paid by vendor members might help with expenses it can't pay the full cost of the higher end resources a site such as this needs. Just think about the sheer number of uploaded pictures, lot of bandwidth to send them up, more bandwidth every time a page with them is loaded. Not to mention the server disk space they require for storage. Your desktop hard drive is much less expensive than server grade hard drives which are almost always installed in sets rather than as a single drive to make the data storage redundant so a single drive failure does not wipe out everything. Companies that provide that charge for it, enough that I have a job so we don't have to pay those costs :-)

Figure sending in $20 USPS money order is far cheaper than buying the reference library of information I get from here. There is a reason that a Google search for my shooting or reloading questions always has this site on the first page and usually one of the first three links. The answer is here, or the link to the answer is here. Or a member here will PM you with the answer or a suggestion on finding the answer. There are about 3 or 4 top sites for this sport and hobby on the internet, this is one of them. Has value, cost money to provide that value. Choice is between we pay for it or there are more advertisements scattered on all pages, top, right, left and center between posts.

That is just my never humble opinion. I get "it will cost how much?" a lot.

rancher1913
08-03-2016, 12:45 PM
I for one like that the few ads are NOT MOVIES, this makes viewing the site a lot easier to us country folk with limited internet. I have another site that I like but rarely visit as they have gobs of those ads that run as a movie and it locks up my computer for several minutes trying to download.

osteodoc08
08-04-2016, 09:52 PM
I thought that sponsorship and donations were different. Are they not?

I have a sponsorship level that is automatically withdrawn every year through PP. I've also donated. What if any is the difference and where do the monies go for sponsorship status?

runfiverun
08-05-2016, 12:39 AM
same place.
that's pretty much how we hit 2-K the first day.

No_1
08-07-2016, 02:20 PM

The sites are different. As Lamar has indicated Castboolits, Gunloads, Ammo Brass Trader (ABT) as well as a couple other sites are separate entities hosted on the Gunloads server. The Server Fund Drive provide much needed server upgrades and also outside help when things get beyond the capabilities of Willy. Ever see this site hacked? Ever see this site down? Ever received a spam e-mail from this site? Ever see this site spammed? Keeping this place up, clean and running good 7/365 is what the donations pay for. There is no salary / payroll for myself or the moderators.

DerekP Houston
08-07-2016, 02:55 PM
The sites are different. As Lamar has indicated Castboolits, Gunloads, Ammo Brass Trader (ABT) as well as a couple other sites are separate entities hosted on the Gunloads server. The Server Fund Drive provide much needed server upgrades and also outside help when things get beyond the capabilities of Willy. Ever see this site hacked? Ever see this site down? Ever received a spam e-mail from this site? Ever see this site spammed? Keeping this place up, clean and running good 7/365 is what the donations pay for. There is no salary / payroll for myself or the moderators.

understood, thanks for being up front with the info and letting us know. Happy to be a paying member and continue enjoying this site.

Thanks for all yall do keeping it up and running! One of my few refuges from the daily grind that I enjoy visiting.

K7sparky
08-05-2019, 11:30 AM
Just popping this one back to the top of the stack.
Plenty of good info for where our subscriptions / contributions $ go
A BIG THANKS to those in the background that keep this site running for the good of usens

rcslotcar
08-05-2019, 12:44 PM
I donate because the members here are so willing to share information. The goal amount to me sounds very minimal so the monies must be used wisely. Good luck with the drive and keep up the great work!!!

waksupi
08-05-2019, 02:51 PM
Trying to scrounge spare change, disability doesn't pay well!

cabezaverde
08-05-2019, 04:57 PM
Check is literally in the mail.

sav300
08-05-2019, 07:46 PM
No 1,
Sir, how far ahead would this donation drive be. If every member-user donated $5?
I will be sending us$10 come pension day.
Even tho I have retired form all forms of shooting ,I still visit everyday. (tumbleweed addict)
sav300

smoked turkey
08-06-2019, 08:32 AM
I look forward to clicking on this site at least once per day and sometimes more depending on my schedule of activities. As always this is the only web site I need to feed my passion for almost all of my web activity. The wonderful folks here are my "extended family" and one the highlights of my day. I can truly say the satisfaction I get from Cast Boolits far outstrips the meager donation I am about to send in by snail mail. My heartfelt thanks to all those who keep this place running like a well oiled machine.

Willy I have just sent in my check to you for $20 for the fund drive. You should see it in a couple of days. THANK YOU!

sav300
08-07-2019, 07:30 AM
Yea !, I love pension day for about 30 minutes till all are paid up!
Sheez. $10us on the way via Paypal.
A big thanks for keeping this site up and running.
Sav300

No_1
08-07-2019, 08:01 AM
No 1,
Sir, how far ahead would this donation drive be. If every member-user donated $5?
I will be sending us$10 come pension day.
Even tho I have retired form all forms of shooting ,I still visit everyday. (tumbleweed addict)
sav300

It would have been done the first day.

Thank you everyone for the donations that help keep us alive.

Take care,
Robert

T_McD
08-07-2019, 06:29 PM
Well I figured I better chip in. This place is cheaper than a therapist!

sav300
08-07-2019, 07:16 PM
No 1,
Robert.I thank you for your reply.
sav300.

waksupi
08-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Well I figured I better chip in. This place is cheaper than a therapist!

Ya, but we need one after we've been here awhile!