PDA

View Full Version : ? On riging a fan to cool down a mold

uncowboy
05-26-2008, 09:10 AM
I was thinking of running a computer fan to cool down a mold to speed up production. I am waiting too long for the spur plate to cool down. Bigger fans I have used just cool down the pot or interfer with the fan I use for ventilation. I was thinking a computer fan mounted on the table in front of the mold suport so I could retract the mold and it would be in the fans airstream. Do you think that a computer fan has the volume to coll a mold? J.Michael

felix
05-26-2008, 09:28 AM
I think you have a very good idea here. See if you can rig up a dealie where the fan blows across a bowl of water to pick up extreme humidity. It seems more consistent boolits are made in a condensing atmosphere, like casting outside when dew is falling. ... felix

Alchemist
05-26-2008, 10:30 AM
I think you have a very good idea here. See if you can rig up a dealie where the fan blows across a bowl of water to pick up extreme humidity. It seems more consistent boolits are made in a condensing atmosphere, like casting outside when dew is falling. ... felix

Just be very careful not to summon the tinsel fairy....

redbear705
05-26-2008, 10:36 AM
I currently cast with a LEE six banger so what I do to help with two problems is use a 15 inch piece of steel that sits under the pot and raises the mold higher so I dont have to hold the mold up to fill it (I have carpal tunnel syndrome).

This relieves me of alot of torque on the arm and wrist plus I get the added feature of the cooling effect of the block of steel.

I can pretty much control the heat of the mold by either lifting the mold handle to keep it off the steel or lay it down flat on the steel for max cooling.....either way the steel takes alot of the stress off the hands and arms.

By the way the steel does get warm but compared to 700-800 degress its just warm to the touch :) and works out ok...I will say that when you first start out ya want to keep the mold tipped up (just a corner touching) off the steel till it gets warmed up a bit.

JR

Dye
05-26-2008, 11:21 AM

Felix
What the SAM HILL is DEW. Now we have something else to mess up our casting rhythm.

Becarefull Dye

runfiverun
05-26-2008, 12:20 PM
just rig up a directional box for the air to be concentrated in an area you can easily put the mold without itblowing on your pot etc..

VTDW
05-26-2008, 01:06 PM
When my 6-cavity mold gets too hot I just wait for the sprue to cool enough to be solid and turn the mold upside down and touch it to a wet rag. Speeds things up nicely. Most times though I just enjoy slowing down a bit anyway. I cast at around 750 degrees and just take my time.

Dave

454PB
05-26-2008, 01:07 PM
I just use a sponge or folded towel in a cake pan of water, which is placed well away from the pot. Touch the bottom of filled mould to the damp towel every third or fourth cast.

HeavyMetal
05-26-2008, 01:46 PM
I actually made a small wooden box with a fan motor mounted inside. when the mold is to hot I simply put the mold into the box and then let the air cool it down. Upside is I control how and where the air travels and don't have to worry about it cooling the pot or blowing flux smoke some where I don't want it.

When I was using big steel molds this got a lot more use than it does now that most of my molds are aluminum.

Sig shooter
05-26-2008, 03:53 PM
aluminum finned heat sink / from the junk electronics store . It will wick away heat quickly

LAH
05-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Your fan will work fine Mike, just mount it for ease of motion. I'm looking for the mould but so far, haven't seen it............Lynn

uncowboy
05-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Good to hear from you Lynn, How have ya been? Get any Stripers? J.michjael

Echo
05-29-2008, 02:51 PM
My zwei pfennig - When using my Lee 6-bangers, I keep a folded rag soaked with water next to the pot. When I see that things are overheating, I place the mold on the rag and let 'er steam for a few seconds. I have to replenish the water supply occasionally, but - Works for me...

EasyEd
USAF Ret
NRA Patron

LAH
05-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Good to hear from you Lynn, How have ya been? Get any Stripers? J.michjael

No strippers, boo hoo..........Lynn

cohutt
05-30-2008, 01:22 PM
i bought a $10 mini squirrel cage blower at wally world last year that is shaped like the industrial floor drying blowers. just enough air, shoots it below the pot on the mold.

can't find another one like it.

Alternatively, something like this little blower might work
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008053012153219&item=16-1158&catname=electric

it is off of this page

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?UID=2008053012153219&catname=electric&keyword=EBSA

Nrut
05-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Using BullPlate lube and a low casting temp., under 700* I can cast as fast as I want...with just one mold... aluminum or iron, one cav.,to six cav. straight WW...No fan, no wet towel...If I really hit the temp. sweet spot for the mold I am using I am in constant motion...
BullShopDan explained how to cast this way a few years back...I bought his mold lube, lowered my pot temp. and haven't looked back...
Have Fun!...:-D

ANeat
05-30-2008, 09:33 PM
aluminum finned heat sink / from the junk electronics store . It will wick away heat quickly

I use a combo I guess. I have a small computer fan sitting on an aluminum block. I sit the mold on the block in front of the fan. I think the aluminum really is the trick.

Jon K
05-30-2008, 10:01 PM
uncwboy,

EasyEd & 454PB already mentioned it, but here's the atricle:BruceB Method

http://ktsammo.250x.com/castboolits/cst1.html

Jon

uncowboy
06-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks for all the good info guys. I will have something working in no time. Aluminum finned colling block can't hurt and I will tear apart the next junk computer to get all the neat stuff out. J.Michael