PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336W reloading with LeveReverolution powder

metricmonkeywrench
07-31-2016, 10:14 PM
Got a good buy on a Marlin 336 with a block of ammo, dies and a pound of Leverevolution powder. Shot up most of the ammo and even tried some of the Rem reduced recoil 125g stuff leaving me with the seed brass to start reloading. In looking at the loading data for the powder I more or less have a self imposed limitation to use up this powder to get started. The published load data shows a load with Sierra 125g, Sierra 150g RN, 160g Hornady FTX and Sierra 170g RNFP.

My question is simple enough, I think, and don't want to get into a load war of "my powder/bullet combo is better.

So the bottom line question is, does anyone have real experience with this powder in a Marlin and which bullet performs the best with the micro grove barrel? My buddy, who also reloads, has a Win 94 and bows to the altar of biggest bullet/max charge which may be fine for the Win, but may not be so for the Marlin.

nekshot
07-31-2016, 10:56 PM
I have the powder and both levers and more. Levr powder works best with 150gr and up.

izzyjoe
07-31-2016, 11:12 PM
I just picked a load from hodgdon's site, I already had some 170gr hornady fn bullets, so I used 36grs. It shot great with no load development, so I loaded a box for a friend, and one for me. I have found out that Marlins don't like max loads, back off a little and they shoot great! But I mainly hunt with the Lee 170 boolit, and it does good nuff for whitetails at close ranges.

Thin Man
08-01-2016, 06:33 AM
I bought a 336W several years back and loaded various bullet and boolit weight rounds looking for the tightest group loads the rifle wanted to use. Surprised me that it loves the Sierra 125 flat nose cup point and H335 powder. As bullet weights increased from there, groups got repeatedly larger. Now I have 2 rifles that love this load - the 336W and an early H&R single shot that would create "patterns" more than groups until I found what it liked. I used this 125 grain load in the Marlin to drop a 4-point a few years ago. Chest shot, complete penetration and exit, deer ran 30 yards and tumbled. My load is on the warm side, but the rifle loves it. Your mileage may vary.

Thin Man

Shuz
08-01-2016, 09:52 AM
My question is simple enough, I think, and don't want to get into a load war of "my powder/bullet combo is better.

So the bottom line question is, does anyone have real experience with this powder in a Marlin and which bullet performs the best with the micro grove barrel? My buddy, who also reloads, has a Win 94 and bows to the altar of biggest bullet/max charge which may be fine for the Win, but may not be so for the Marlin.[/QUOTE]

My load with LeveRevolution powder in a 336Marlin consists of a NOE 311165GC boolit, heat treated to Bhn 28, OAL of 2.400, and using 34g of this powder. Primer is WLR. Velocity is 2283 with an SD of 7. I worked up to this load and accuracy fell off at 35g. I suggest you work up to 34g by dropping the initial charge by 5% of 34g. Good luck!

popper
08-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Yes, LeverE works very well from 20gr to 35gr in 30/30 but usually for heavy boolits. Accuracy is great with the FTX. Today's shooting 185gr CG cast 50 yds off bags, squeezing bag under the stock. Guess >2100 fps & 5" above scope POA. My old RD boolits GC & A2400 didn't do as well. Bull shows 2 @ 8gr. unique with filler, upper left no filler, ~1300 fps. Moulds are new 31-168C PB & 184C GC. My Slick sided version of the RD for ESPC. Only 96F this morning. These were quickly cast and not really perfect but hey the rifle likes the mould! Now to increase the load. Alloy is isocore WD. will try AC also.