PDA

View Full Version : NRA issues

mustanggt
07-31-2016, 12:14 AM
I have been an NRA member since the early 80's. I became much less enamored with them due to their minuscule effort in the State of Washington fighting against I-594. I was very dissapointed in their effort on our behalf. Well if we can't decide to standup for our freedoms now then no point trying in the future because there won't be any rights to stand up for. So I decided to become a life member that way I'll show up on somebody's list of NRA subversives. If not now, when? I hope and pray the country I grew up in will be there for my grandkids. Let us pray for God's continued blessing on us and our continued vigilance to in protecting our liberties.

bedbugbilly
07-31-2016, 09:04 AM
Amen!

44man
07-31-2016, 09:20 AM
Costs BIG money, but we have no one else. The thing is, demoncrats outspend us. Being on SS I can't give enough.
But please don't give up, without the NRA we would be stacked in ovens.
Have to look at who was voted in and your neighbors. I feel my vote is useless but have no choice, have to vote.
I see it here with liberals around me. My God, did they never think for themselves? It comes to what they get free from tax payers. They want felons and illegals to vote. Get out of prison free and who do you vote for?
I will not side with you, we NEED the NRA. The battle for freedom today is money. Demoncrats forgot about the millions that gave all for freedom. I will NEVER do nothing but cry for our fallen.
Without the NRA, you will have a brittle stick.
I don't like how you feel. But we for freedom get smaller all the time.

toallmy
07-31-2016, 09:41 AM
Never give up , and don't let the liberal's lead you to believe that your fighting in vain . I wish the NRA could do more , but we are the NRA , so do what you can . Take the fight to small town and county elections , 10 people in a town or county meeting can make a difference .

DerekP Houston
07-31-2016, 09:51 AM
I wasn't really a huge fan of the NRA for a long time, but I joined this year to support the election and will probably continue to be a member. GOA was my plan but they just don't have the same presence yet.

kenyerian
07-31-2016, 09:56 AM
I just sent the NRA some more money. With all of the groups against gun ownership it is very important to stand up in this election year.

dragon813gt
07-31-2016, 10:00 AM
The NRA does a lot considering how few gun owners are members. Now imagine of all 100 million(estimate) gun owners were members. It really is a numbers game and every gun owner who isn't a member does nothing to help others of themselves.

I certainly don't agree w/ everything the NRA. Does. Especially things in the past that gave us the NFA and GCAs. They pick their cases carefully. If they don't then the outcome could make things worse. There are other groups to support as well so join as many as you can afford.

MrWolf
07-31-2016, 10:15 AM
Just upgraded my son and I to Patriot Life. No idea what the difference is but they sent out offers for us so took them up on it. We really need them especially now.

toallmy
07-31-2016, 10:30 AM
Obama has helped with NRA membership , and gun sales for a few years . Bless his heart.

shooterg
07-31-2016, 10:40 AM
You younger folks - they still have Easy Pay Life, $25 every 3 months.

dannyd
07-31-2016, 11:36 AM
NRA Life, Patron, Benefactor, Endowment and GOA Life member. I have not always liked how they act but they are all we have. I send them money when I can. We will never out spend the Dem's because evil always has all the money needed.

Lance Boyle
07-31-2016, 12:04 PM
Agreed, the NRA has been far from perfect but what are you going to do? Hang out with George Soros and Michael Bloomburg?

I'm in NY, we got railroaded with the SAFE act (very worse than the old assault rifle ban thing). We have our state group, NYS Rifle and Pistol Association and we were still fighting things. We won a couple minor things and with Justice Scalia's passing they quickly pulled the big lawsuit lest we get the now likely decision we didn't want and couldn't overturn. We got some help in a limited way from the NRA.

Through the years I have been a member, then didn't want to be a member, and now am a life member. Far from a perfect group.

cainttype
07-31-2016, 12:35 PM
No organization is perfect. NRA has to put it's limited resources where they think it'll do the most good, and that means some issues don't get the attention the people affected feel they deserve.
Truth is, the firearms insurance you get with membership is worth the price of admission.

That said, NRA is the most effective pro-gun group in existence. The continued whining about the NRA from liberals like Obama and Clinton should be proof enough that they cause the left-wing panderers plenty of headaches.
That's reason enough to support them.

dtknowles
07-31-2016, 12:39 PM
Any organization that draws as much fire from the Left as the NRA has got to be worth the price of membership.

Tim

quilbilly
07-31-2016, 12:43 PM
You have to understand politics in the state of Washington. This state is controlled by the Marxists in two counties who call themselves Democrats. The rest of the state is more or less irrelevant to the Party leaders. The Republican Party is no help since it is controlled by so-called "mainstream Republicans" who are neither. Recently I received a card from the NRA supporting a Democrat. I understand that card because, in a one party state, the NRA has to work with what it has and knows about Seattle metro. It is a different story on the other side of the mountains. I just hope the NRA can be effective in the Seattle area in opposing the initiative coming out this fall doing away with due process in removing peoples 2nd amendment right on an allegation (no hearings or witnesses or court procedures required). Franklin Roosevelt didn't say there "were 47 states and the Soviet of Washington" for nothing. Hang in there with the NRA.

mold maker
07-31-2016, 01:09 PM
After a long life of membership, last year I signed up as a life member. Chances of me living long enough to make that a financial plus are dim. I did it so those that remain will have an NRA to belong to.
We can't expect the NRA to be, the do all and end all, without member support.
Yes, it takes funds to fight Washingtons blame game, and without them, nothing but good wishes are there for them to fight with.
Although not as effective as they try to be, they're the best chance we have.
Either be part of the solution or quit berating the biggest and most aggressive voice for our freedoms.

Echo
07-31-2016, 01:24 PM
I always felt that if I could improve an organization by leaving it, I should. Stayed with the ARRL through conflicts, but got out when I stopped hamming (ex-W5HZM). Been a Life Member of NRA for decades, and have them in my will.

popper
07-31-2016, 03:10 PM
Whether you financially support them or not, IMHO, they have a target on their back for the Libs. Like the 'elephant in the room', they get ignored. NAGR & others can help to create more 'ambushes' on the Libs. I does take $$, no doubt.

country gent
07-31-2016, 03:30 PM
Im going to step out here some onb this. All orginizations political,special inbtrests, unions, reforms and such are only as strong as the membership. When the membership dosnt get inolved or support the group it loses strength wether its 100 members or 5,000,000 members. While the NRA is alot of membes in numbers How many are getting involved in the fight? Not just donating money but also time and energy? How many are willing to support disciplines that they dont participate in? I hve heard this statement at clubs and LGS many times. I shoot ******* so why do I need to worry about ******* bans. The shooters are broken into splinter groups and disciplines not one group working together. Like it or not the Liberals work together in one group making there smaller numbers much stronger.

Freightman
07-31-2016, 04:15 PM
I may be a life member and not know it I am paid through 2022 I will be 83 by then if I make it, my sons and grand children are all members. That is good but will not make diddly if we don't vote as a block. I am not enamored with our choice but if I split my vote we will lose, NRA or not

DCP
07-31-2016, 06:47 PM
I upgrade to NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

If the liberals win in Nov we are in deep trouble

In some state illegal aliens will now vote
and feleons right to vote has been restored

Butler Ford
07-31-2016, 07:47 PM
Never give up , and don't let the liberal's lead you to believe that your fighting in vain . I wish the NRA could do more , but we are the NRA , so do what you can . Take the fight to small town and county elections , 10 people in a town or county meeting can make a difference .

This^^^^is probably the most important statement made. The NRA and all the other pro gun groups can't do it on their own for you. You have take the fight to the locals, bend them or eject them, grass roots is the ONLY way the 2nd Amendment can survive. Pro Gun groups can and usually do lead the way but like Generals, they plan the battle but it is the boots on the ground that have to win the war.

BF

xs11jack
07-31-2016, 09:38 PM
A lot of good advise here. In talking to state politicians here, they told me that the demoncrats use a old tactic in that they start a lot of fires all over the place and the NRA is behind the gun, running around after them trying to stop these things. The NRA doesn't have the money the liberals have and keep falling behind but as said earlier, they don't give up, they keep doing the best they can with what they have. With five to ten times the number of members we would own the elections and the Constitution would never be stronger.
Ole Jack

dtknowles
07-31-2016, 09:53 PM
I upgrade to NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

If the liberals win in Nov we are in deep trouble

In some state illegal aliens will now vote
and feleons right to vote has been restored

Please name a state where felons or illegal aliens can legally vote? Provide sources, I say this is BS. Don't say Virginia, the courts squashed that.

Tim

toallmy
08-01-2016, 02:56 AM
Any wear the dead people still vote .

DCP
08-01-2016, 07:40 AM
Please name a state where felons or illegal aliens can legally vote? Provide sources, I say this is BS. Don't say Virginia, the courts squashed that.

Tim

Gee I thought this was common knowledge. I Think you have been wrong 2 or 3 times this week. Try to be, Lets just say not so negative or back it down a bit.

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000286

http://www.truthandaction.org/supreme-court-states-prevent-illegal-aliens-voting-u-s-elections/

2wheelDuke
08-01-2016, 10:17 AM
I just finished paying the installments on my Patron Life Membership. No sooner than I got my new Patron card, they were hitting me up for the Benefactor upgrade.

This thread has reminded me to respond to the e-mail and upgrade once again.

No matter your feelings on the NRA, they are our #1 voice in Washington. And if you don't like the NRA's stance on something, do your part and make your voice heard. Get a high enough membership level to vote in their elections.

dtknowles
08-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Gee I thought this was common knowledge. I Think you have been wrong 2 or 3 times this week. Try to be, Lets just say not so negative or back it down a bit.

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000286

http://www.truthandaction.org/supreme-court-states-prevent-illegal-aliens-voting-u-s-elections/

I see you as the one being negative. I might be a bit contradictory but I am definitely not negative.

It does look like I was very wrong about Felons and voting. If the link you provided is accurate and I see no reason to dispute the link, it seems legit. That site says only 10 States permanently withhold the right to vote from felons and even those do not withhold the right from all felons.

On the issue of Illegal Aliens voting, I see nothing in the link that makes it legal but I do see how it would open the door to Illegal Aliens illegally voting. The requirement that you be a citizen to vote is still in place. It seems the States can decide on how to enforce this requirement. It seems some states put the burden of proof on someone who would deny someone the vote not on the voter. In those states you can register to vote and don't have to provide any proof you quality except that you live in the U.S.

I grant that essentially you are right, felons and illegals could vote in many states and the felons would be legal and it would be almost impossible to stop an illegal from casting a illegal vote and it being counted.

Sorry, I was wrong. To clear the air, would you post details of the other times I as wrong this past week so we can check the validity of your statement "I Think you have been wrong 2 or 3 times this week.?"

Tim

DCP
08-01-2016, 11:11 AM
I see you as the one being negative. I might be a bit contradictory but I am definitely not negative.

It does look like I was very wrong about Felons and voting. If the link you provided is accurate and I see no reason to dispute the link, it seems legit. That site says only 10 States permanently withhold the right to vote from felons and even those do not withhold the right from all felons.

On the issue of Illegal Aliens voting, I see nothing in the link that makes it legal but I do see how it would open the door to Illegal Aliens illegally voting. The requirement that you be a citizen to vote is still in place. It seems the States can decide on how to enforce this requirement. It seems some states put the burden of proof on someone who would deny someone the vote not on the voter. In those states you can register to vote and don't have to provide any proof you quality except that you live in the U.S.

I grant that essentially you are right, felons and illegals could vote in many states and the felons would be legal and it would be almost impossible to stop an illegal from casting a illegal vote and it being counted.

Sorry, I was wrong. To clear the air, would you post details of the other times I as wrong this past week so we can check the validity of your statement "I Think you have been wrong 2 or 3 times this week.?"

Tim

Tim

Thank you so much

You have a blessed day

popper
08-03-2016, 12:27 PM
http://bgr.com/2016/06/21/ar-15-rifle-bullet-wounds/
New scare propaganda from Smithsonian channel about those dangerous, evil assault rifles.
Of course, no comparison to 9mm or 40SW. Even claim clothing will stop 9mm. Of course the producer won't stand in front of one to test it.

Hogtamer
08-03-2016, 04:33 PM
The NRA commercials airing now are the best I've seen in my lifetime.

Blackwater
08-03-2016, 05:08 PM
Amen, Hogtamer! Makes me proud to be in the NRA these days. Personally, I miss the days of Harlon Carter. He was a brash and sometimes abrasive man, but he got things done, and definitively so. And THAT is what matters most to the country now - performance. I've panned and complained, and years ago, even let my membership lapse and wouldn't reup because they were being so namby pamby and PC. I realized my error and have been a member for a long time now with no breaks. We simply can't afford to NOT be their supporters any more! We just can't, without cutting our own throats, whatever reason we find fit to do so. That's my take on it, anyway.

Regulator.
08-03-2016, 07:06 PM
I........ I hve heard this statement at clubs and LGS many times. I shoot ******* so why do I need to worry about ******* bans. The shooters are broken into splinter groups and disciplines not one group working together. Like it or not the Liberals work together in one group making there smaller numbers much stronger.

AMEN Country Gent, great point we need to get involved just a little bit.Turn the tide with knowledge and action.

smoked turkey
08-04-2016, 06:44 PM
I'm an NRA Patron Life Member and proud of it. All big organizations have issues and NRA is no different. However I believe they do a darn good job of defending our rights. Without them we would be defenseless. I had the opportunity to go to the NRA annual meeting when it was in St. Louis a few years ago. It is totally a class act. I had the pleasure of speaking with Wayne LaPierre briefly as we met on the exhibition floor. He is one of the most passionate and driven men I have ever met. It does come down to money to get the word out. It's not fair that the liberals seems to get more "free" press while the NRA must pay for what they get. Unfortunately that is the way it is. I am appalled at the Republicans who seem to advocate voting for another candidate other than Donald Trump. Splitting the party vote is a vote for the undivided democrats. Every living democrat will vote for "her" as well as a few dead ones. It will be hard to win if Republicans remain divided.

Lloyd Smale
08-05-2016, 06:23 AM
theres not a soul on this fourm that should be a life member!!! For the cost of one stinking gun you can stand up for your rights and not rely on someone else to do it for you!

6bg6ga
08-05-2016, 06:31 AM
Lloyd, on a lot of things we agree. On the point of being a life member we don't. At this point in time I can't afford to be a life member.

Lloyd Smale
08-05-2016, 07:37 AM
I know its tough to come up with money. Its hard for me. But somehow I manage to buy a new gun or two every year or a new casting pot, reloading press, some do dad for my jeep or truck, some new high tech hunting gear, a scope maybe just a bit better then what I could get by with. I guess a guy has to adjust his prioritys. I do know theres a few on here that don't buy that kind of stuff and barely get by but there the exception not the rule. Most of us if it really meant that much could do it. Even if you had to take a 1000 dollar personal loan out and pay 30 bucks a month till its paid off. When I bought mine it was much cheaper. I think at the time it cost me 300 bucks. But at that time I was making 7 bucks an hour and had a wife and two kids. It was a big sacrifice to spend that money but I knew it was my responsibility if I wanted to remain a gun owner.

nekshot
08-05-2016, 07:50 AM
been with the nra a long time and really got frosted when they started calling me every week this last election here in mo so I asked to be taken off their call list and that was that. I still support them and will in the future.

toallmy
08-05-2016, 08:29 AM
Please just do what you can , it makes a difference .

PB234
08-07-2016, 05:34 AM
Please just do what you can , it makes a difference .

Well said

DougGuy
08-07-2016, 06:26 AM
I take this as a good sign.. "If you opted to receive a free member gift, please allow four to six weeks for delivery as NRA is experiencing unprecedented growth in membership."

mold maker
08-07-2016, 10:02 AM
Lots of local gun shops promoting NRA. Their livelihood is at stake.

Storydude
08-07-2016, 10:12 AM
http://bgr.com/2016/06/21/ar-15-rifle-bullet-wounds/
New scare propaganda from Smithsonian channel about those dangerous, evil assault rifles.
Of course, no comparison to 9mm or 40SW. Even claim clothing will stop 9mm. Of course the producer won't stand in front of one to test it.
Ever see an FBI ammo test?
Yes, 4 layers of cotton denim will slow down a 9mm enough to only give 3" of penetration. FBI acceptance is 12"of penetration.
Also, clothing clogs hollowpoint bullets turning them into ball ammo.

Lloyd Smale
08-08-2016, 07:01 AM
great answer. Until something comes along that represents me better my moneys on the NRA faults or not.
Costs BIG money, but we have no one else. The thing is, demoncrats outspend us. Being on SS I can't give enough.
But please don't give up, without the NRA we would be stacked in ovens.
Have to look at who was voted in and your neighbors. I feel my vote is useless but have no choice, have to vote.
I see it here with liberals around me. My God, did they never think for themselves? It comes to what they get free from tax payers. They want felons and illegals to vote. Get out of prison free and who do you vote for?
I will not side with you, we NEED the NRA. The battle for freedom today is money. Demoncrats forgot about the millions that gave all for freedom. I will NEVER do nothing but cry for our fallen.
Without the NRA, you will have a brittle stick.
I don't like how you feel. But we for freedom get smaller all the time.

thxmrgarand
08-10-2016, 06:08 PM
Here at this house we are known for working on campaigns, especially in even-numbered years. Some years I knock on the same doors 2 or 3 times for different campaigns. My experience has been that volunteering is more important than contributing dollars. The media become so saturated with ads that people no longer hear them; same for print ads, and the media gets over-bought. But knocking on doors, helping to host events, making sure pro-gun candidates are represented at forums, school open houses, shopping mall events, etc. can be key to tipping the balance in an election race. Letters to editors are worthwhile, and drafting them for pro-gun candidates to distribute among their constituents can be important. Talking to union members about gun rights works sometimes (except with teachers' unions perhaps). For me the message is that contributing time can be more important than contributing money, and so if you're retired or living on a disability income you can weigh in at least as heavily as anyone else can. The best example is in US Senate races in states of small population; the money comes in to those races by the millions and millions of dollars but the media markets are very small. So-called PACs buy up all the media. Two years ago we defeated an anti-gun incumbent US Senator with a very pro-gun candidate who had never before run for office, and it was clear to me that going door to door with my NRA hat on was doing good work. When I saw a car in the driveway that had an NRA sticker that was a door that was sure to request a yard sign (of which I had many in my truck nearby). If you don't have that kind of race in your state or your part of the state maybe you can help in an adjacent state or district. A few volunteers can leverage their clout far better than they can leverage a check for a few hundred dollars. On the local candidate race level bring the candidate to your gun club and shooting range and introduce them around. Bringing children and grandchildren into the door knocking effort is a great way to introduce democracy to the next generation. Offering to bring a candidate shooting and telling him/her to bring a camera along is usually a very welcome invitation in a campaign. Democracy is not majority rule; it's rule by the majority who show up. You can do this, and you will most of the time find it more fun than you would imagine.

sparky45
08-10-2016, 06:18 PM

Tim

Commiefornia; and I'll let you find your own sources. Apparently Penn. as well since Oblammo got 108% of the registered voters in some precincts. Most likely Ill. as well.