PDA

View Full Version : Discharged a round inside the house

leeggen
07-30-2016, 05:54 PM
Yes after a 50 + yrs record I acccidently discharged a round in the house. It was a 9mm remington hollow point. Now before the whips and switches come out let me Do some explaining.
I bought an Springfield XD MOD 2, love that little gun, now in the instructions it tells you how to break this gun down. Turn the lever at the front of the trigger guard straight up then pull the slide back to engage slide lock. Hold slide and release slide lock so slide will move forward. The slide will stop and you MUST pull the trigger and release the firing pin( dry fire) then the slide will contenue forward and can be removed.
There is no way out of it you MUST dry fire the gun to release the slide completely for removal. When I read this I thought now that could be dangerous if a round happen to be in the chamber.
Well I manage to end up with a round in the chamber when I started to dismantle this pistol to clean it up after shooting a hundred rounds of handload cast boolits. The bad news is there is now a 4 inch slot in our wood floor and surprisingly it was not that loud. This could of been prevented if I had been more observent and more careful. I take the blame fully!!!!
I have sense sent an email to Springfielld about what happen and I felt they need to look into this safety issue. I am not blaming Springfield, I did it by not being my ussual safety minded self. Now break out the clubs and beat on me.
Oh by the way the wife did not say much other than she was glad it hit the floor and not one of the appliances or the dogs or us, then she just chuckled. Ya got to lover a woman like that, I am lucky to have her.
CD

WFO2
07-30-2016, 06:00 PM
I have had one AD and it was in the house as well and the floor was were it ended up . I did point it in a safe direction to pull the trigger. I dug that round up and keep it on my reloading bench as a reminder. So nobody hurt lesson learned . That's the way I looked at it .Glad you are safe and nobody got hurt .

oteroman
07-30-2016, 06:06 PM
Pull the mag before you rack the slide.
Revisit the 4 Rules.
There is nothing wrong with having to pull the trigger to remove the slide. You fell short in the gun handling department. Specifically knowing how to clear a gun you love.
Happy you are safe.

Digital Dan
07-30-2016, 06:10 PM
Know a fella that ripped off a 3" 20 ga of #6 shot one day thru the ceiling. And the roof. It rained that night so it was a rather unsatisfactory experience he said.

Country boys are better at teaching themselves than learning from others most days.

Walkingwolf
07-30-2016, 06:26 PM
Measure twice, cut once. For guns check three times, visually check every time. Look in mag well, look to make sure a cartridge did not get stuck in the chamber.

jcren
07-30-2016, 06:44 PM
Had my first not too long ago, just lucky it was outside and no one was around. Was working up loads for a little 380, load a few, go outside and check function and poi. After several trips, I got lazy and shucked 4 rounds from the loaded defensive mag to test 2 loads without reloading. After my 4 shot test, thinking about how they performed and what to try next, I dropped the hammer on the defensive round and shot the dirt a few feet away.

Latheman
07-30-2016, 07:25 PM
Happened to me once with a 30-06 bolt action. I was trying to check if my load would chamber and it did. But closing the bolt was stiff. Upon trying open the bolt. I bumped it with the palm of my hand instead of opening it. The rifle discharged. The round went through the closet header board at an angle then went through bathroom ceiling came out the roof in two pieces so i had plug two holes instead of one in the roof. Boy my wife thought i was nuts.

Strtspdlx
07-30-2016, 07:28 PM
Not to say it'll never happen to me. It's human nature to make errors. I do however try to rack the slide Atleast ten times and check the chamber every time and make sure I see daylight down the barrel. Call it ocd or whatever but I try to be as careful with a deadly tool as much as HUMANLY possible.

SSGOldfart
07-30-2016, 07:29 PM
I think the same instructions Says "Warning Never disassemble a loaded firearm":bigsmyl2:No Excuse

popper
07-30-2016, 07:38 PM
Same with Glocks - a good reason for the loaded chamber indicator. But you still have to check - rack the slide first. My AD was slamfire in 308W - it was loud. Cast boolit took out a chunk of concrete.

LuckyDog
07-30-2016, 07:48 PM
When she said us, are you sure you were included in that group? 😃

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

tazman
07-30-2016, 07:52 PM
I had an accidental discharge a few months ago with my Beretta 92fs. I was shooting at the indoor range and things were proceeding nicely when then gun fired without my finger on the trigger. I had just loaded a new magazine, as I closed the slide on the first round and aimed at the target, the gun fired by itself.
I immediately unloaded and cleared the weapon, put it in it's case and took it home.
Turns out that a small piece if dirt of some kind had gotten into the sear notch, holding the sear from engaging completely. Apparently when I dropped the slide on the new magazine, it moved just enough to release the hammer and fired.
A good cleaning and I have had no more trouble after several sessions and probably 300 rounds fired since. I was lucky the circumstances were what they were.

country gent
07-30-2016, 07:54 PM
Glocks and several other of the newer pistols have to have the striker dropped to disassemble them now. Vigulant saftey is required with them, Not onlyremoving the mag and racking the slide but vissually inspecting them. Another little helpfull set up is a large flower pot with a plastic plant in it and alot of dirt. You can use this to point into while disassembling and if an AD occours the dirt catches it and contains it.

leeggen
07-30-2016, 08:11 PM
Yes sir I did let my normal guard down for that one instance and I got bit. I have beat myself up very well. Everytime I walk to the fridg. I see that scar in the floor. Just nice to see I am not the only one that has been bitten. Misery loves company.
That system is just a change from my PX4 with its decocker. No excuse I just scewed up.
CD

Geezer in NH
07-30-2016, 08:34 PM
That is an NG not an AD all on you.

You did not put your little finger in the chamber to feel that it was empty.

Pay attention all the time.

It happens glad you did not kill anyone. Obviously you had it pointed to somewhere safe. I will bet that will not happen very soon again.

Mine was the TV screen.

dragon813gt
07-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Some pretty major safety rules weren't followed. If the pistol doesn't have a magazine disconnect the mag should be removed, rack slide to clear chamber and visually confirm it's clear. If it has a magazine disconnect then you drop magazine, rack slide to clear, visually confirm it's clear and reinsert an empty magazine. Loaded magazine and not checking for a loaded chamber were the root cause of this.

Sorry that it happened but you honestly can't check enough times to make sure the chamber is clear. It's like at work when I use my meter to check for power even after I locked it out and I've been working on it. Takes a few extra seconds but it sure gives me peace of mind.

bdicki
07-30-2016, 09:13 PM
http://www.wesh.com/news/ocala-police-officer-in-critical-condition-after-accidental-shooting-at-firearms-training/32217774

oteroman
07-30-2016, 09:16 PM
We all need to fess up, there are no accidental dischages.
Just negligent discharges.
Stay safe.
Rsise that (safty) bar.

DerekP Houston
07-30-2016, 09:18 PM
I do believe he manned up and admitted as much in his first post. Accidents still happen, glad no one was hurt. Just a good reminder for the rest of us thanks to him sharing.

Premod70
07-30-2016, 09:29 PM
An auto has more ways of tricking a person into thinking it's safe that a magician's hand. Thank God you followed the first rule and had the gun pointed in a safe direction.

jimb16
07-30-2016, 09:31 PM
Just for the record, I do all my disassembly in the garage where I keep a large bound bundle of old magazines backed by an 8" thick slab of wood. The firearms, even when I know they are empty are always pointed at the bundle. IF I were to have an accident, I know the bullet wouldn't be leaving the garage. Just a habit I got into early on,,,,,,somewhere around 40+ years ago.

Bomberman
07-30-2016, 09:53 PM
Nice of you to fess up and remind us all to stay safe at all times. Ours is a potentially deadly and/or life altering hobby and we must be on the lookout for Murphy at all times. Super happy you or anyone else were not injured. Thanks for the reminder.

9.3X62AL
07-30-2016, 09:57 PM
A lot of first stones getting cast here, refer to the Good Book for details.

I have had 2 NDs, and I remember both vividly--one c. 1970, the other in 1981. THANK GOD the arms involved were safely pointed during both occurrences. Much respect to the O/P for "owning" the occurrence and sharing it here. Ignore the catcallers, and take props for reminding MANY that everyone's feet are made of clay. Good on ya, sir--who knows how many lives you saved, or injuries you prevented with your directness.

castalott
07-30-2016, 10:05 PM
My AD was a 45 auto. The slide was back on an empty gun. Dropped a round in the chamber and pushed the slide release...Boom!. John Browning designed the feeding operation to slow the slide momentum and I bypassed that. The force of the slide 'smacking' home sheared the edge off of the lock work and the hammer would not stay back after that. 230 grain slug thru a kitchen chair and into the floor....

ghh3rd
07-30-2016, 10:13 PM
Yes, thank you for having the courage to admit what happened, to remind of what's possible. I think that the most important thing is to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction... always. That way a AD or ND will only put a hole in something replaceable or fixable.

randyrat
07-30-2016, 10:23 PM
Hah, muzzle pointed in the right place is always our back up.

Now if you blew a hole in the wife's oak china cupboard it would be a different story. You didn't blow a hole in the water heater or roof, no body got hurt and all you have to look at is a hole in the floor, your good to go.

Thank goodness no body got hurt.

Moonie
07-30-2016, 10:25 PM
Note this model does have a loaded chamber indicator that is both visual and tactile.

PoisonIvyMagnet
07-30-2016, 11:13 PM
My friend's son shot the end of a finger off his left hand with a XD 40s&w a couple years ago. Same thing with not being careful enough on disassembly, discharged a round when pulling the trigger in order to remove the slide. It's a design issue that should be changed. While Springfield's XD and XDs lines are disassembled with a trigger pull, the slide on the XDm will come all the way off without pulling the trigger. Not sure about the newer Mod 2 models. Just wonder why Springfield wouldn't use the XDm trigger design through the whole series? It functions really well, and is safer for disassembly.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

kmw1954
07-30-2016, 11:18 PM
Good report and even better reminder. That when you think you know it all and have done it all, you don't and haven't. We are after-all imperfect humans.

My biggest dumb bass attach came one afternoon when I got the boat trailer stuck in the spring mud. Thought I could pull it out by myself. I did of course but not until after rupturing a disk in my back. Stupid me!

smoked turkey
07-30-2016, 11:22 PM
Well OK..I will join the other brave and somewhat negligent folks that admit to a ND. It happened a couple of years ago for me. The rifle in question was an old Savage 340 bolt action 30-30. I was having problems with the detachable magazine not feeding correctly. I purchased another magazine and was in the process of "checking it" for proper feeding. It did feed OK and in the process my trigger finger was in the wrong place. I was setting on the floor with the muzzle pointed at a 45 degree angle toward the ceiling. Upon closure of the bolt the rifle fired just as it should have given what I had done. The lead boolit went through the wall at an upward angle, glanced off the side of my gun safe in the next room. As I recall the boolit skipped along the back wall some and came to rest on the floor on the other side of the safe. My wife was in the next room and immediately yelled at me "Is everything OK?". Of course I said yes. To this day I am so thankful that a little paneling and some touch up paint was all that it took to fix the damage. Of course the damage to my pride cannot be fixed but I did learn a very valuable lesson from the ordeal.

Digital Dan
07-30-2016, 11:42 PM
Was in a local gun shop yesterday morning and wound up looking down the pipes of an old Damascus barreled English built 12bore. Politely put my finger on the muzzle and deflected it elsewhere. The old gal that was trying to sell it to the owner got a bit huffy with me and informed me it was an unloaded antique muzzle loader. I informed her politely that it was a breech loading cartridge gun and sternly let her know that pointing guns at people is not sociable behavior in a 'stand your ground' state like Florida. She reiterated it was not loaded. I asked how she knew that. She got a really puzzled look and the store owner took it from her and broke the action open. She asked him if it was broken.

Some folks just shouldn't be out in unfamiliar country.

brtelec
07-30-2016, 11:49 PM
I have had 2 NDs many years ago. The first when I was 18 and was doing my best Bob Munden with a 357 and put a round about 6 inches in front of my foot. The second was about 30 years ago and I was shooting my Wildey in 45 Win Mag. I had a problem with the trigger returning properly when I fired it. I was working at an indoor range and was shooting it in back. The trigger failed to return and I turned it in my hand but was still pointing it down range for the most part. Well between the failure to reset and my rotating the firearm, the trigger reset, and when I flicked it to reset it, I tore about a 5 foot groove out of the block dividing wall. Well it was spectacular to say the least and to top it off I had an audience of about 10 people watching me shoot it. The applause from the peanut gallery was it's own reward.

jcwit
07-31-2016, 12:06 AM
Stay safe.
Rsise that (safty) bar.

Really????

Bought a new to me pistol at a gun show. Took it to the range and shot a few boxes thru it.

It had what is called a hammer drop safety. Guess what, with a loaded chamber the hammer drop safety did not work. No idea why not, but of course the pistol was pointed down range.

Later found out there was a piece that had broken. Likely while I was shooting it, the safety had worked correctly before.

Negligent?? Hardly

Accidental?? Yup

It was no fault of mine!

w5pv
07-31-2016, 08:08 AM
I had a 32 double action that I aimed and pulled the trigger the round hit a support for my wall shelf.It took a chunk out of the support but that was all the damage just careless on my part.

OS OK
07-31-2016, 08:22 AM
I have a good friend, Johnny, who has three fingers on his left hand to permanently remind him of the proper procedures.

DougGuy
07-31-2016, 09:14 AM
I had one ND, I was getting ready to go to a pin shoot and had my magnaported 1911 on the bench cycling dummies through it, doing all the safety tests, making sure the hammer didn't follow, etc. I had some pin loads that were a 255gr LSWC Keith type boolit, over a hefty charge of 700x, but I didn't have any dummies made up with that boolit!

So I figured well, it had been functioning perfectly, I *guess* it would be okay to run some of these live rounds through it and check them for feeding. About the 3rd round out of the magazine BAM! Hammer followed and the gun fired. I was standing at my workbench with the gun pointed horizontally to my left, and there was a Craftsman cast iron bench vise about 3' in front of the muzzle. It caught the boolit midships and man let me tell you, IT DANG NEAR SHOT THE VISE COMPLETELY OFF THE BENCH! Destroyed the vise. With a 1911!

Good bowling pin loads are nothing to sneeze at. They make awesome bear medicine.

Shiloh
07-31-2016, 09:16 AM
No one was hurt. Did you learn something?? My guess, absolutely.

SHiloh

bedbugbilly
07-31-2016, 09:26 AM
I wouldn't be blaming this as a "safety issue" of the gun . . . most of my semi automatics require the trigger to be pulled in order to the slide to be removed. The problem is a "human issue" . . . i.e. . . "you". One of the first safety rules taught is to make sure you weapon is unloaded and cleared. Obviously, you didn't do that. You had been shooting it . . . did you make sure the weapon was cleared after your range session? Or did you load it to carry as a CC after you left the range? If so, then you knew that there was a round in the tube.

My words are not meant to "give you a lashing" . . . I am pointing out that you did not follow safety practices and the AD is on you . . not the pistol. Floors can be fixed . . . it's a little too late if a round goes off and kills some one sitting across from you, someone downstairs or someone upstairs. Fortunately, nobody was injured. And if my comments seem harsh . . . I apologize but I have had several experiences with AD and people being injured and killed when I worked Ambulance and Fire Rescue.

Whether a person has been shooting a year or fifty years (and I have been shooting over fifty years), we all still need to develop safe habits when handling firearms and not get "lax". I never trust that a firearm that I own, or somebody else owns, is unloaded and the first thing when picking it up I check it to make sure it is cleared.

I'm glad that no one was hurt and I'm betting that this will be a good "reminder" to make sure your weapon is cleared before cleaning or getting ready to clean. It's happenings such as this that make the lawyers smile and the manufacturers having to put warnings on the firearm.

OS OK
07-31-2016, 09:55 AM
I taught my kids to always check a firearm before handling it. That was 45 years ago. Now, every 4'th of July they come up from SoCal to picnic and celebrate with Ma and Me. Each 4'th we'll go out back to shoot some of the guns here...Invariably, whether it's my daughter or one of my sons, as soon as I retrieve a weapon, safety check it and hand off to them...they will perform their own safety check also.
This past 4'th, when my oldest son Eric started to safety check the 1911 I chuckled out loud in satisfaction of what I was seeing. Eric says "whats so funny Dad?" I replied that it was a chuckle of satisfaction, that I was glad to see him checking the weapon as I taught him so many years ago.
Eric replied..."I may be getting grey like you Pops but I ain't getting forgetful!"

DerekP Houston
07-31-2016, 09:57 AM
I taught my kids to always check a firearm before handling it. That was 45 years ago. Now, every 4'th of July they come up from SoCal to picnic and celebrate with Ma and Me. Each 4'th we'll go out back to shoot some of the guns here...Invariably, whether it's my daughter or one of my sons, as soon as I retrieve a weapon, safety check it and hand off to them...they will perform their own safety check also.
This past 4'th, when my oldest son Eric started to safety check the 1911 I chuckled out loud in satisfaction of what I was seeing. Eric says "whats so funny Dad?" I replied that it was a chuckle of satisfaction, that I was glad to see him checking the weapon as I taught him so many years ago.
Eric replied..."I may be getting grey like you Pops but I ain't getting forgetful!"

HA! good man. I make everyone safety check weapons at the house too even if I just checked it pulling it out of the safe in front of them. Reinforces good habits and I like my son to see you check it every time regardless.

OS OK
07-31-2016, 10:02 AM
We were standing right in front of the safe when this happened, he saw me look into the chamber yet he did it too. He makes me proud in everything he does. My kids bless me.

DerekP Houston
07-31-2016, 10:30 AM
Hopefully I will never experience this, but thanks again for sharing. We're all human and mistakes get made. Like I said earlier, just happy no one was injured and you had it pointed in a safe direction!

mdi
07-31-2016, 12:15 PM
He who is without sin cast the first stone.

I've had an accidental/negligent discharge (is "discharge" a good word?). I was having feeding problems with my .44 Mag. Puma and was outside in the shop. I couldn't find my dummy round (I make one for every load) and had some 265 gr, RNFP rounds handy so I tried one. The rifle was lying on the bench and I operated the lever watching the round feed and when the round chambered, it fired. I don't remember touching the trigger. The bullet went through the wall of the shop, 3/4" plywood, through the wall of the house, aluminum siding over plywood, through some shirts I had hanging in the closet, through a hollow core door, through an interior wall, drywall on one side, 1/8" paneling on the other side, traveled 30' down the hall and entered a room divider, in the kitchen, with 1/2" drywall on one side, and stuck into a 2x4 stud. Wife wasn't at home. God looks after fools and drunks (I'm both)...

Half Dog
07-31-2016, 01:32 PM
I too had a close call. You're not alone.

Echo
07-31-2016, 01:40 PM
I'm guessing most members of this forum have had that experience. I put a hard-ball round through my Telefunken stereo cabinet once. Hit nothing important just made a hgole going in, another going out, and buried into the slump-block wall.

MarkP
07-31-2016, 02:24 PM
A friend did the same thing while dismantling his pistol; he was at his parents house sitting at the kitchen table fired a round through the wall and hit his Dad in the upper arm who was in the bathroom sitting on the pot. Luckily not fatal and near full recovery.

9.3X62AL
07-31-2016, 02:50 PM
"Murphy's Law" gets no plea bargains.......and in the realm of firearms and ballistics, Murphy is naively optimistic.

Char-Gar
07-31-2016, 03:07 PM
No need to explain it. When we screw up, own it, learn and move on. I do believe there are a finite number of mistakes we can make. If we don't make the same one again, maybe we will run out of mistakes before we die, or maybe not.

35remington
07-31-2016, 03:10 PM
He is. Good the OP manned up and admitted fault, but I see no sense in contacting Springfield.

The "safety issue" was with him, not the manufacturer. He knows how the gun is supposed to be safely disassembled. Informing Springfield does not change his responsibility in this area.

Char-Gar
07-31-2016, 03:10 PM
Hopefully I will never experience this, but thanks again for sharing. We're all human and mistakes get made. Like I said earlier, just happy no one was injured and you had it pointed in a safe direction!

Nope, mistakes are optional in life, IF folks engage their minds at all times, have good critical thinking skill and don't lose their focus.

copdills
07-31-2016, 03:21 PM
you got a good wife, shes a keeper Ive been Lucky so far, it could happen to any of us , glad no one got hurt

brtelec
07-31-2016, 03:25 PM
One of my favorite stories about this happened to a friend of mine while I was working at the indoor range. This guy was a very experienced IPSC shooter and had a cast bullet business. He was home alone one day in his split level house and was in the lower part of the house. He had a Ruger Super Blackhawk in a Hollywood rig and got it out to practice quick draws. He knew it was unloaded " yeah " and drew it from the holster and cranked off a round into the wall high up at an upwards angle. After the initial shock, he started to panic because his wife would be home eventually.

So he goes up the first flight of stairs and finds the exit hole. He easily locates the entrance hole on the wall leading to the living room. He goes up to the living room and moves the couch to find the exit hole and there it is. Then he can not find the next entrance hole anywhere or any other damage. He scoured the living room to no avail. So now he starts getting the stuff to fix the 4 sheets of drywall before the wife gets home.

While he is gathering what he needs the dog limps in whining. The bullet was lodged in the dogs hip. Luckily he had loaded that 44 Mag with very light loads and a cast bullet. He took the dog to the Vet and the vet pulled him aside and told him someone had shot his dog. He said he put on quite a show of righteous anger for the Vet about what kind of man would shoot another mans dog.

popper
07-31-2016, 03:37 PM
Been working to teach G.K.s to shoot. Lesson #1, you don't let anyone hand you a gun. It is opened, checked for empty, left pointing down range for the 'other' to pick up. Anything goes wrong on the line, place on table in a safe direction for an adult to inspect. Same with rifles and shotguns, unless in the field, then handled only by the foreend. I made some empty chamber checkers from weedeater line (red) folded over and glued together for a handle. Doesn't hurt to drop the bolt on them. Of course bolt open for bolt guns.
Long time ago, service buddy was playing quick draw and put a hole in the apt. wall with his 44. Fortunately the outer wall was brick.

Blackwater
07-31-2016, 04:54 PM
There are two type of shooters:
1. Those who've made mistakes, like AD's; and
2. Those who WILL, eventually.

Yeah, I know it's never happened to many of you, but a good friend of mine recently shot himself and was out of work (he's self employed) for about 2 wks. He was going to clean his .40 cal. auto, and thought he'd already taken the magazine out. He was wrong, and somehow, after racking the slide, he had the heel of his left hand over the muzzle and the gun pointed downward, and he lost some meat from the heel of his hand, and the bullet (180 JHP) continued on down and through the flesh of his thigh. He was so embarassed and ashamed of himself, he wouldn't answer his phone full of well wishers! This is an old farm boy who's been a life-long shooter and is used to dealing with dangerous materials and things.

All it takes is just one instant's diversion or lack of care or forgetfulness, or whatever, for very, very bad things to happen. And as much as we diligently TRY to be perfect, not one of us achieves it ALL the time over a whole lifetime! Some succeed, but those are likely the very ones who realize its possible the most, and that's what keeps them "honest." Two of the scariest times in a parent's life are when he lets his kids go afield alone with a gun, and when they get their driver's license! And it's for good reasons they're such scary times. We may think WE are perfect, but we KNOW our progeny isn't. No ego involved there!

Char-Gar
07-31-2016, 05:57 PM
To confess to being human, I had a ND in 1956 at age 14 and another in 1964 at age 22. Since then I am clean and clear with good focus.

In 1964, I was present when there was a ND with a 12 Gage that resulted in the death of a fellow dove hunter. Something like that sticks with you and helps your focus. I didn't do it, but I saw it happen. The only good part of it was the fellow killed himself and not somebody else.

This is the reason, I am so hard about NDs just being a part of shooting life. As I said before, they are optional and not a necessary part of life with guns. They do not have to happen.

How many times have you seen somebody lean a gun against a car/truck fender or door? That is what killed this fellow. Don't do it!

Texas by God
07-31-2016, 06:19 PM
I've had two-40 yrs apart. The first was a muzzleloading horse pistol that I was aiming at a can on the ground when the wind blew it over. I lowered the cocked pistol (finger still in trigger guard) so my buddy could stand the can back up. Imagine my surprise when the fire & brimstone erupted and the .70 cal ball missed my right foot by one inch. A few years ago I had been using my daughters .243 on Crows and left a round chambered/safety on by mistake. Days later I decided to weigh the trigger pull as I thought it a bit heavy. Decided to dry fire it first so I aimed at a tree through the window. Instead of a click I got a BANG and that bullet hole reminds me not to be a careless fool again! Btw this was in my shop- not the house. My children could not believe it as I have drilled gun safety into them since they could listen.

EMC45
07-31-2016, 06:50 PM
We called line cold one day in Ga while we were shooting. Well I backed away from the line to where the other fellas were and with my G2 (.44 Mag) pointed in a safe direction down range I lowered the hammer on a LOADED chamber. My thumb slipped due to sweaty hands and smooth checkering on hammer, and the gun went off. My eyes got huge! My thumb got an instant blood blister and my hand hurt like heck right away! I was embarrassed and shocked. It was a 429-421K over about 19gr 2400, so it was no pussycat.

randy_68
07-31-2016, 09:49 PM
Been there once myself. About 25 years ago I had been deer hunting with. TC Renegade .50 muzzleloader. Whenever i got done for the day I would shoot my ml into the ground and reload fresh the next time out. Well one day I didn't fire it off because I was going back in the morning. Whenever I would load for the day I would fire off a cap to clear out any oil etc. I didn't like doing that at the woods in the dark so I decided to fire it off in my garage with the doors closed do as to not wake my wife. Well I forgot it was loaded and let me tell you when that sucker went off I about crapped myself. I had it pointed at the floor by the back of my truck and that .50 cal round ball took a big bunk out of my concrete floor and blew up a case of mountain dews plus put about 10 holes through my garage door. Never did wake my wife up.

victorfox
07-31-2016, 11:07 PM
the first and last accidental discharge I had in life happened when I was about 14-15 yrs. I was loading our rossi 22 pump and we used to top it, chamber a round, lower the hammer to half cock, then put another in the tube. That way it was ready for rock anytime in the night. Well this very day don't know how (was distracted with something else probably) I managed to let the hammer slip and it fired. As a matter of caution my father always told us to keep the muzzle pointed to dirt or any other surface that could take the bullet. I was pointing to the soft brick wall at my room when that happened and as expected nothing else happened save the sudden noise. My father came scared to see what was that. I said sorry the hammer slipped and showed him I was pointing to the wall. I never covered that hole to remind me to be more cautious and if the old house exists that bullet is still there.

And I became quite paranoid about it. I don't trust semi autos, unless I triple check, remover magazine, check and let it open before doing anything else... (yes I have one).

45-70 Chevroner
08-01-2016, 02:54 PM
My AD was in my reloading room (223 black gun) I don't even like them. It belonged to a friend, he was having trouble with his reloads, they wouldn't chamber all the way in and I was trying to figure out the problem was. Luckily it shot into a tray of cast 45 caliber slugs stacked on top of another tray of cast slugs. The jacketed 223 bullet distroyed all of the first tray of boolits and part of the second tray, I never did find any evidence of the jacketed bullet, it just discentagrated. That bullet just missed a steel ammo box with 250 rounds of loaded 12 gauge shotgun shells. I hate to even think of what could have happened. I also lost some hearing in my right ear. Lots of things hear to get the whips out for, but be gentle.

Texas by God
08-01-2016, 02:55 PM
Another one. My oldest brother was ``cleaning'' his .22 across the bedroom that we shared. I was on my bed reading when he pulled the trigger and shot me in the leg with rat shot. It felt like yellow jackets! But Dad came running in, surveyed the scene and gave big bro a spanking with those big cow milking hands ans took his gun for the rest of the summer-much worse than the whooping for a teenage farm boy. Best,Thomas.

NoZombies
08-01-2016, 03:24 PM
I've only been shooting for about 30 years, but I have managed thus far to avoid having any ND's. I hope that I can maintain that record, but I will not judge anyone because human nature and repeated exposure to potential danger all adds up to mean that it 'can' happen to anyone.

When I was a kid, the father of one of my good friends told me the story of his ND, and I still think about it to this day;

They where country boys, teenagers, and the brothers had been out hunting all day on the last day of the season. Being the end of the season, they cleaned the guns that evening to get them put in storage for the next time they would be needed. I don't know the mechanics of it, but I do know that the younger brother (my friends father) shot his brother in the chest across the dining room table with an "unloaded" shotgun. The older brother was dead on the spot, and my friends father is haunted by the image to this day.

JFrench
08-01-2016, 04:22 PM
So did Springfield offer to buy your pistol back? Just to keep the customer safe.
James

Walkingwolf
08-01-2016, 04:39 PM
Here is how I disassemble a Glock.

1) make sure in a safe place to work on a gun.
2) remove magazine from gun, put magazine where I can physically see it so I know where it is.
3) inspect gun visually that magazine is out of gun, then pull slide back making sure finger is not in the guard, while pointing at a bucket of sand.
put cartridge with magazine, inspect magazine that it is full to capacity. Or my case one round shy of a full mag, I don't top off the Glock.
4) take a cleaning rod/dowel/pencil to actually inspect the mag well, and the barrel for stuck cartridge, I do this three times.
5) then I can proceed with dry firing the Glock to tear down.

If you can put a rod through the barrel and see it against the breech there cannot be round in the chamber. If you can do the same with the magwell there cannot be a magazine in the gun. Yes it sounds anal, but it works.

imashooter2
08-01-2016, 06:25 PM
Loud, isn't it?

rintinglen
08-02-2016, 11:58 AM
I have to own up to a very stupid ND. I was just over 21 and was cleaning my three month old Colt Python (while watching a NBC Gun Control "Documentary). I finished cleaning the gun, and with my hands still oily had reloaded the revolver and was checking the gun for function by cocking the hammer, pulling the trigger and lowering the hammer. The well oiled hammer slipped from under my thumb, the gun went bang and the 357 magnum 158 grain soft point punched through a small clock, the wall, the mirror on the other side and blew a chunk out of the frame on the dresser. Took me all day the next day to repair, replace, clean and paint to hide the damage, while SWMBO glowered.

In the guard rooms of the Marine barracks while I was serving, there were 5 gallon buckets of sand, over which were painted the warning, "75$ a bang." Despite this, there were usually bullet holes in the wall near by. "Eyes and Mind On Task."

Blackwater
08-02-2016, 06:22 PM
The most humbling part of ND's is that it doesn't seem to happen any less among those who use guns the most. It doesn't seem to matter how careful and structured you are, though I do think it helps greatly. All it takes is one mental slip for just a second, and "BANG!" And who among us is perfect??? I'm not. Have had a couple of ND's through the years, and when that "BANG!" comes, it's the most shocking thing in the world! And thereafter, VERY humbling, too!

This is the reason that, no matter who you are or how experienced and careful you are, you NEVER let the muzzle cover anything or anybody you aren't willing to destroy or kill. This single habit has probably saved a lot of lives! Would that it could have saved them all!

LuckyDog
08-04-2016, 07:39 AM
The two loudest sounds on earth....

A click, when you expected a bang.

A bang, when you expected a click.

Stolen from someone, somewhere.

iomskp
08-04-2016, 07:50 AM
I shot the filling cabinet with a 9mm, the cabinet took it well.

Oklahoma Rebel
08-05-2016, 03:12 PM
you guys freakin jinxed me!!!! I had a AD yesterday evening, not 6-8 hours after reading this. I was decocking a 22lr revolver, whose hammer is worn smooth and my thmb slipped! never happened to me before. I was upstairs, so I ran downstairs to check for damage, apparently it hit a stud! so it will forever be a reminder every time I walk over the spot to slow down and think about what you are doing, even if it is something like this that is an automatic thing., a very jinxed Travis!

Oklahoma Rebel
08-05-2016, 03:31 PM
the truth is, no one jinxed me, I was being careless by letting myself go into "autopilot". thank god no one was home. it is a very curious coincidence though indeed...

twc1964
08-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Well, I had an a.d in the house when I still loved with my folks. Ruger flat top wry with full house magnum loads. The sound actually stunned me in that closed bedroom. It went through my sister's closet and gave several sweaters extra air holes. Could have been much worse.

GLynn41
08-05-2016, 07:50 PM
A fellow fire fighter not only had an AD he shot the end of his pointer finger off--on his left hand

Victor N TN
08-05-2016, 09:03 PM
I'm NOT going to say a word. Every time I say something critical of someone else about something like this... It comes back to bite my butt.

CD You have my condolences. End of subject.

Char-Gar
08-06-2016, 07:36 AM
you guys freakin jinxed me!!!! I had a AD yesterday evening, not 6-8 hours after reading this. I was decocking a 22lr revolver, whose hammer is worn smooth and my thmb slipped! never happened to me before. I was upstairs, so I ran downstairs to check for damage, apparently it hit a stud! so it will forever be a reminder every time I walk over the spot to slow down and think about what you are doing, even if it is something like this that is an automatic thing., a very jinxed Travis!

Why did you cock a loaded firearm in your house in the first place?

bigjake
08-06-2016, 09:16 AM
I was mortified 2 weeks ago. My son who is 21 and has been shooting and reloading with me his whole life, plus went to several gun/hunting safety classes when he was younger, had an AD. He just brought home the AR10 he has been saving for. He grabbed the mag and wanted to see if the reloads that I made would fit in it. I make them pretty long to use in the rem 700. Well it fit and he laid the mag down. he mounted the scope and wanted to show me the rifle. he grabbed the mag and popped it in the gun not remembering or looking to see if it was unloaded. We went out side to look through the scope. of course he wanted to feel the trigger pull... Aimed at the tree in the back yard with the un-sighted in scope and Bang! The big 308 round went off. we hoped it hit the tree. It only grazed it, but tank God it at least did that because if not, it would have ripped straight through the living area of the house across our back yards. The bullet was a 168 gr. horn. match. I think the thin jacket tore off. The bullet hit the garage, it hit sideways putting a slotted hole in the siding, ripped through the drywall. It put a huge dent in the hood of their car, bounced up and shattered the windshield. From there it lodged in the ceiling/crawlspace. The people were quite calm. The police didn't cite me. (I took the blame) She used her insurance to fix her car. I'm waiting to see how much that's going to cost us. I would normally make him pay for it all, but I feel partially to blame.

OS OK
08-06-2016, 10:03 AM
I'm NOT going to say a word. Every time I say something critical of someone else about something like this... It comes back to bite my butt.

CD You have my condolences. End of subject.

Go ahead and comment freely...just remember to 'knock on wood' after...:bigsmyl2: ...then you are covered...?humm, right?

Victor N TN
08-06-2016, 12:28 PM
I made a smart-*** remark several years ago to a fellow I worked with about something that had happened. Less than a year later it happened that I was now in his shoes. Case closed. Ain't gonna say nothing else on the subject.

Good luck, I hope no one gets hurt.

NavyVet1959
08-06-2016, 09:18 PM

I disagree. There are definitely ADs. I was reloading for .300 AAC awhile back and went to chamber a round while I was seated on the couch with the barrel pointed towards the carpeted concrete floor. I ended up with a slam-fire even though my finger was not on the trigger. I think that classifies as an AD, not a ND.

NavyVet1959
08-06-2016, 09:19 PM
The two loudest sounds on earth....

A click, when you expected a bang.

A bang, when you expected a click.

For a pilot, the loudest sound is when the engine the engine in front of you quits turning when you are flying.

Blanket
08-06-2016, 09:46 PM
For a pilot, the loudest sound is when the engine the engine in front of you quits turning when you are flying. Not so, the loudest sound is when you pull the red handle to eject after everything went wrong, followed by the worst several minutes of your life

TXGunNut
08-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Been there, done that, got the scars to remind me. No stones coming from my direction.

fatelk
08-06-2016, 10:56 PM
I've heard the statement that there are no ADs, only NDs, but technically an ND is an AD, since more often than not accidents are caused by negligence. Calling it an AD doesn't negate the possibility that it was a result of negligence.

"Accident: an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury."

That said, I've had a couple "unintentional discharges" over the decades, fortunately no damage or injury because the barrel was always pointed in a safe direction. I'm a huge believer in deeply instilled habits, or "learned instinct". I drill them into my kids any time we're around guns.

Always pointed in a safe direction, and always check when you pick up a gun, even if you just saw someone else check it.

Yes, I know all the other safety rules too: they're all good and must be followed, but I figure that if you can instill these two into your brain so deep that you instinctively do them every time without thinking, they will help prevent catastrophe if the day comes (heaven forbid) when you are too tired, distracted, frustrated, or otherwise in a state of mind where you aren't thinking straight.

I've heard too many horror stories. The worst was a guy many years ago who was tinkering with his new rifle in the garage. For whatever reason it went off. The bullet hit the brick wall across the garage. A piece ricocheted, went through the side wall, struck and killed his young daughter playing in the yard. Unimaginably heartbreaking.

Victor N TN
08-09-2016, 07:33 AM
Something along the same lines I WILL confess to.

Back in the early 1980s had gone to a local gun show and bought some "fired" military 30-06 brass. Probably 300 rounds or more. Next weekend I started decapping it using the Lee hand punch system.

I don't remember if it was case #101 or # 202 or where along the line it happened. Someone had evidently pulled a bullet and threw the primed case in with the fired ones. Since I wear glasses my eyes were covered. However I am extremely grateful that I wasn't leaning over the case when I struck the punch with the hammer. B A N G !!!

No one was hurt. (My wife and brother were there with me.) Except for their ears ringing. I was in a building with 10 foot tall sheetrock ceilings, the punch flew through my fingers and stuck into the over head sheetrock. While I'm standing there, I'm sure I probably had a scared crapless expression on my face, we all looked at each other with me asking if anyone was hurt. Then I had to go outside and smoke a cigarette (as was my habit at that time).

Just one of those things. You get complacent doing repetitive actions. And I for one learned a lesson. And to this day I'll flip cases up and eyeball the primer pocket before doing anything.

I hope everyone gets a good chuckle out of this. These years later, I can.

Stay safe !

Frosty Boolit
08-09-2016, 08:03 PM
great that it worked out that way, a guy iworked with told of a young man who closed a single shot 12 ga whilst his brother was in front of him. AD took of his brothers head

leeggen
08-10-2016, 04:28 AM
I will add an update tomorrw, I now have found the boolit and it is in one peice. I'll even add pics so that it shows it really happen. Just as an enticer I will tell you the bullit is in exccelant shape, I could fire it again. Pictures will tell the strangest part of this happening, atleast to me it does.
CD :cbpour:

trapper9260
08-10-2016, 07:56 AM
My dad had gave me his 12ga pump years ago and the way it was then is that after you fired the first round that when you pump it some times the 2nd round would go off. So one time we where out in the woods and he was checking the gun and pump it and had the gun face the ground and after he pump it the gun went off. He told me here is the gun and do not want anymore part of it.So years later I talk with a gun that I was getting some guns and all from and ask if he could look at it for me and told him what it done . He call me a few days later and told me that the gun was ready I went to get it and told me that the spring was bent in it and he had replace it. I told him I wanted to get it fix that way if some one else might use it will not get hurt. For me it did not matter because I was use to the gun .Now no more problems with it.
I did see a thing on the news some time ago of some law maker was clearing her gun and said that the way she make sure that the gun was empty that she face the gun away from every one and dry fire it. Well that time that it show there was a round in the gun.I see for a law make need to get some training in gun safety I know some things happened. But the person from what was stated done it that way all the time to see if the gun was loaded.Not even checking to see if there was a round in the chamber.

bangerjim
08-10-2016, 02:27 PM
So many on here worry/brag about self-protection and what they carry, yet only shoot at a range......outside......with full hearing protection. Yet claim they can defend them selves during a home invasion.

Hearing what a gun discharge sounds like WHITHOUT protection IN A SMALL ROOM is something we all should be familiar with and know what to anticipate and how to react! A bit tough to do, I admit.

My wife has a different take on shooting in the house for training purposes!!!!! :shock:

dragon813gt
08-10-2016, 02:37 PM
I'd rather suffer permanent hearing loss protecting my life then while training. I don't even see it as an option. I realize it can be disorienting but there is no way to train for it safely.

NavyVet1959
08-10-2016, 04:18 PM
Hearing what a gun discharge sounds like WHITHOUT protection IN A SMALL ROOM is something we all should be familiar with and know what to anticipate and how to react! A bit tough to do, I admit.

I was reloading one night for a new hot load for 10mm and with each load, I went out to the garage to fire it to test it out. On one of the tests, I have my ear muffs in my hand and am holding them while I'm pulling the trigger. I can see the muffs and know that I shouldn't do that, but the electrical signal had already been sent to the finger to pull the trigger, so all I could do is watch as I do something that I knew I shouldn't do. Funny how time just slows down when you do stupid things like that. My hearing wasn't that great for the next few days. A garage with hard sided walls and nothing to really absorb the sound gives you a good idea of what it would be like to fire one in your house.

The .300 AAC that slam fired when I was on the couch that I mentioned above did not seem as loud as that 10mm.

OS OK
08-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Navy..."the electrical signal had already been sent to the finger to pull the trigger,"

Funny, funny, funny..."Been there Done that" all you can say at that precise moment in time..."Ooooooooh shiiiiiii.......BANG!" All in slow motion to boot!

skeettx
08-10-2016, 05:57 PM
45 ACP Albuquerque 1983, in the garage shop, seeing if ammo would feed in the 1911, what a shock when it went off, bullet hit the garage floor and flattened and bounced into a steel drawer file. Wife was not too upset as I had announced I would be testing a pistol and she did not know what the extent of that was :) T'was 3.5 grains of Bullseye and 200 grain lead bullet.
Mike

bangerjim
08-10-2016, 06:44 PM
45 ACP Albuquerque 1983, in the garage shop, seeing if ammo would feed in the 1911, what a shock when it went off, bullet hit the garage floor and flattened and bounced into a steel drawer file. Wife was not too upset as I had announced I would be testing a pistol and she did not know what the extent of that was :) T'was 3.5 grains of Bullseye and 200 grain lead bullet.
Mike

Exactly why I make at least 6 dummy rounds for everything/every cal I load and do! I never test live ammo.

DerekP Houston
08-10-2016, 07:09 PM
Navy..."the electrical signal had already been sent to the finger to pull the trigger,"

Funny, funny, funny..."Been there Done that" all you can say at that precise moment in time..."Ooooooooh shiiiiiii.......BANG!" All in slow motion to boot!

I've had a few moments like that with a knife in the kitchen but nothing compares to that "booooom"......

I will content myself with legal practices until the occasion occurs that I need to do otherwise. If that happens and I'm indoors, I accept the loss of my hearing as a result. I am fortunate to not have had either an AD or ND yet, but I'm still aware it could happen at any time.

OS OK
08-10-2016, 07:30 PM
I noticed 'some' arguing over whether the discharges are AD's or ND's...I'll throw a bone in and say that they 'both' come under the file heading of ID's...Navy just proved my premise in that the brain sends a signal to the trigger finger...therefore it's an 'Intentional Discharge'...of one sort or another...:bigsmyl2: ...

NavyVet1959
08-10-2016, 07:57 PM
I noticed 'some' arguing over whether the discharges are AD's or ND's...I'll throw a bone in and say that they 'both' come under the file heading of ID's...Navy just proved my premise in that the brain sends a signal to the trigger finger...therefore it's an 'Intentional Discharge'...of one sort or another...:bigsmyl2: ...

In that particular incident, I absolutely wanted to fire the weapon when the signal left the brain on the way to the finger. The gun was pointed into my bullet trap and the only real concern I had was keeping track of the brass as it would soon fly across the garage. Once the signal had been sent though, another signal was generated internally in the brain as it processed visual input and realized that ear muffs in the hand do not do much for sound protection. Unfortunately, there wasn't a high speed interrupt line that could cancel the signal that had already been sent, but not yet received my the trigger finger. As such, all I could do is realize that I had screwed up and watch it happen in slow motion. :)

Now, on the other hand, the slam fire with the .300 AAC AR-15 rounds I was testing for fit was most definitely an AD and not a ND since the finger was not on the trigger. If I remember correctly, the safety was even on. Since I was sitting on the couch and the muzzle was pointed at the carpeted floor, it did no damage other than a hole in the carpet & padding and a bit of chipped concrete in the slab. There were two possible fixes for this:

1 -- cut out the damaged carpet and pad, fill the missing concrete chip with mortar / thinset, and replace the carpet and pad with scrap pieces from elsewhere.
2 -- rearrange the furniture to cover the hole.

I chose option #2... :)

leeggen
08-10-2016, 08:34 PM
Navyvet I don't have option#2, it is about 12 inches infront of the kitchen cabnet and just right of the frig. Although I do have a fix and that is hopefully by next yr. I will rip this floor out and put a complete different one down. I am going to try to night to get some pix of the bullet path. Our floor is 2x4's layed flat. It went in just into the top edge showing about 1 inch of destruction, then went out of sight for for an inchnad back to surface and trenched almost to the edge and turned upward and to the right out of the wood thru the air for about 7inches and into a gallon jug of alum. poptops, where it came to a stop in the middle of the jug. The hollow point did not open up but did lose 1 pedal of the jacket which I found that night in the 2x4. I could reload this bullet and fire it, outside this time. more to come.
Thanks guys, atleast I am not the only one that has done this. Bangerjim it did make alot of noise but not as loud as I would have thought. Of course the body does some great things when it feels it is in danger.
CD

DerekP Houston
08-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Put down a welcome mat in the kitchen maybe? :D :D :kidding:

NavyVet1959
08-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Navyvet I don't have option#2, it is about 12 inches infront of the kitchen cabnet and just right of the frig. Although I do have a fix and that is hopefully by next yr. I will rip this floor out and put a complete different one down. I am going to try to night to get some pix of the bullet path. Our floor is 2x4's layed flat. It went in just into the top edge showing about 1 inch of destruction, then went out of sight for for an inchnad back to surface and trenched almost to the edge and turned upward and to the right out of the wood thru the air for about 7inches and into a gallon jug of alum. poptops, where it came to a stop in the middle of the jug.

If the floor is just a wood surface made from 2x4s, then it should be easy to fix. If you want to get fancy, you can add a "dutchman" to every damaged piece.

http://blog.woodworkingtooltips.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/58_1.jpg

Photos would be useful though...

You can either try to hide the damage by restoring it to what it was originally, or you can bring attention to it by making the repair a contrasting material.

You could even take some sort of design in granite or some type of stone and chisel out an area in the wood floor for it to be inset into.

leeggen
08-11-2016, 12:56 AM
ooops the pics
CD

NavyVet1959
08-11-2016, 03:27 AM
Kind of difficult to tell from just a photo, but I would probably just refinish the damaged wood pieces.

OS OK
08-11-2016, 10:30 AM
Navy...That thing about time slowing down is an interesting aspect. I first noticed it when I used to Rodeo in High School. When I'd come off a bull it seemed as I had time to look where and how to land and roll, had picked the spot where I would run to climb the fence, noticed where the clowns were and what direction they were going to lead the bull, even noticed whether or not there were people sitting atop the rail where I would climb...among other things.
I have discussed this since many times, once when I almost had a head on with another hang glider pilot on my final leg of approach. He panicked and froze, I winged over and parachuted the wing into another 'spot' with trees all around, yet I had the time to figure all the details of how to get out of the mess I was engauged in at the moment...it's always been like this for me and I assumed everyone experienced the same weird effects on time. As it turns out, with the people I've talked to it's not so common at all..."any observations based on your experience?"

NavyVet1959
08-11-2016, 10:51 AM
"any observations based on your experience?"

Usually just have time to think, "oh shiiitttt... this is gonna hurt..."

Was up in a tree once, standing on a large limb that was overhanging the house at the family ranch. Some winds had come through and the part of it outboard of where I was standing was cracked and falling towards the house. We tied some ropes on the limb to hold keep it from falling on the house and I was standing inboard of the break and using a chain saw to cut the limb outboard of me. I was about 15 or so feet up from the ground. All of a sudden, I heard the limb I'm standing on break between where I'm standing and the trunk of the tree. So, here I am, 15 ft up in a tree with a running chain saw (didn't have chain brakes on them back then), and the limb I was standing on is no more. Had time to think "oh shiiitttt... this is gonna hurt AND be messy..." Pushed off from the chain saw on the way down and it landed far enough away that I didn't get chewed up.

RoGrrr
08-11-2016, 10:53 AM
I shoot targets in my front yard. I load 5 rounds and shoot.

I load 5 rounds and shoot.

I load 5 rounds and shoot.

That's my regimen, it's like HABIT.
I loaded a mag with the remnants of a box of ammo from the trunk of my car from an earlier competitive event.
I shot 5 rounds, holstered it and decided I was done for the day so I went inside to my gun room. I pulled my 1911 out of the holster to clean it. I noticed the hammer was cocked and the safety was ON. I removed the mag and saw it was EMPTY. I pushed the safety OFF and did a chamber check. Much to my surprise there was a round in the chamber !
I had shot my FIVE rounds and was DONE.
Some habits die hard.
The habit of doing a chamber check paid off !

I had taken a woman friend for her first times. After teaching her the safety rules I also stressed that EVERY TIME you pick up a gun you MUST DO A CHAMBER CHECK. She continued to do that during her subsequent shooting sessions. Good habit to learn.

OS OK
08-11-2016, 11:18 AM
Ya Navy...I can relate to that incident..."God! What is this saw going to do to me and where and how much?" a terrifying thing to contemplate as you free fall.
Once while working for an erector during summer vacation, I was pulled up on a wrecking ball and into a large oak to remove a 6" limb that was obstructing a side beam we were going to hang next...as you might have guessed, that limb cracked and pinched the blade enough to cause the big heavy skillsaw to squirt out across my left leg just above the knee cap. I didn't feel a thing but it left a 5 inch gaping hole and ragged cut through a new pair of Wranglers.
Talking about having a million thoughts go through your head at one moment in time, that was my moment.
We were just outside Galveston in front of the bridge, all I remember from that point on is the driver telling me to keep releasing the tourniquet every few minutes as we raced for the hospital!

Blackwater
08-11-2016, 03:14 PM
What y'all are talking about - the seeming slowing of time - is called "tachycardia," I believe, and it's common among those who don't freeze up as described earlier in the hang glider incident. I've experienced it a number of times, none when something good was about to happen. Some seem to have the ability to focus so acutely that they can enter that state at will, or almost so. I've long wondered if the old time "shootists" of note didn't have that ability? Don't know that, and probably nobody can really know what another really experiences, but if and when it happens, it's amazing how much real thinking can be done in a literal twinkling of an eye! I think it's some sort of momentary victory of intellect over emotion, because those moments seem to be devoid of real emotion, even when we know the emotions are on the way. It's a strange and unenviable phenomena, I think. Nobody wants to experience it because of the events that cause them. And it's probably impossible for those who've never experienced one of those moments to believe they even exist. But they do! I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy, but they certainly do!

OS OK
08-11-2016, 04:03 PM
It is not like you perceive Dennis, on the contrary it is a blessing.
I've been active in dangerous sports and such all my life, that's just crazy me, it's partially an adrenalyne thing when young but this thing is real and is a real blessing when you find yourself traveling horizontally across and above the earth at 50+ mph having been highsided off a 60 mph dirtbike or the such. It feels as though you even have the time to debate with yourself...ie., say, hit left shoulder down and roll, don't tumble or go right...so on and so forth.
Being told all my life, from the Baptist sway...Everybody is born alike with the same gifts etc., born equal and all, no, unfortunately, we are not all alike. Having discussed this many times with others, not so many do this, many haven't a clue of what I'm speaking about even though they be in the same sports.
What really baffles me is this...I know that in real time only fractions of a second up to including several seconds are going by during the incident but we can react in that real time...how do our muscles react so quickly? That is the mystery to me.

NavyVet1959
08-11-2016, 04:12 PM
All too often the script goes like this:

Oh shhiiittt... This is gonna hurt...
Oh shhiiittt... Oh shhiiittt... This is REALLY gonna hurt...
Oh shhiiittt... Oh shhiiittt... Oh shhiiittt... This is REALLY REALLY gonna hurt...
Oh shhiiittt... Wake me when the pain is over...

Shock is nature's way of say, "You REALLY don't want to be here for this right now..."

OS OK
08-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Classic Navy, just classic...LOL! Ain't it the truth. Sometimes you don't even get those options, like you look down at the hand with the pocket knife signature in red! It's then you say to yourself..."I knew it, why didn't I listen to myself!"

DerekP Houston
08-11-2016, 04:36 PM
All too often the script goes like this:

Oh shhiiittt... This is gonna hurt...
Oh shhiiittt... Oh shhiiittt... This is REALLY gonna hurt...
Oh shhiiittt... Oh shhiiittt... Oh shhiiittt... This is REALLY REALLY gonna hurt...
Oh shhiiittt... Wake me when the pain is over...

Shock is nature's way of say, "You REALLY don't want to be here for this right now..."

LOL that is perfect. Time is just a matter of perspective after all . 8hrs in the office feels much longer than 8hrs on the weekend ;).

NavyVet1959
08-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Classic Navy, just classic...LOL! Ain't it the truth. Sometimes you don't even get those options, like you look down at the hand with the pocket knife signature in red! It's then you say to yourself..."I knew it, why didn't I listen to myself!"

Or when you need to change a light bulb in a high ceiling over a bathroom vanity and instead of going out to the garage and getting a proper size ladder, you just place the small step stool type ladder that your wife has in the kitchen on top of the counter, thinking that you only need to change that *one* bulb and it'll probably work for that short time. And then when one leg of the step stool type ladder slips off of the counter when you are all the way at the top rung and your headed towards the quartz countertop and you rightly think, "I was afraid this might happen. Why didn't I listen to that little voice in my head that said it was a *bad* idea? Oh shhiiitttt... This is gonna hurt..." And when you hit the counter on your side and your rib breaks, you just confirm your suspicions -- it really does hurt...

The only reason some of us guys are still around is that Darwin sleeps on the job...

NavyVet1959
08-11-2016, 04:38 PM
LOL that is perfect. Time is just a matter of perspective after all . 8hrs in the office feels much longer than 8hrs on the weekend ;).

And 8 hours in the office goes by a lot quicker than 8 hours of driving or 8 hours in a dentist's chair... :)

tazman
08-11-2016, 06:12 PM
And 8 hours in the office goes by a lot quicker than 8 hours of driving or 8 hours in a dentist's chair... :)

I once spent 3 days in a dentist's chair one afternoon while having a tooth pulled during a half hour appointment.

NavyVet1959
08-11-2016, 06:30 PM
I once spent 3 days in a dentist's chair one afternoon while having a tooth pulled during a half hour appointment.

I know the feeling... The Navy pulled all my wisdom teeth just because I was originally designated for subs and they considered it a preventive measure since there were no dentists on subs. Nothing wrong with them at all and they had come in straight and had plenty of room. No general anesthesia, just a bit of xylocaine locally.

So, I then asked them if they amputated limbs because you *might* get a broken bone... :(

RP
08-11-2016, 08:00 PM
Well my wife being very in mind of safety moved my shotgun I had out for that dog that keeps coming to the house and peeing on my tires since the grandkids were over. Thing is it was a BB gun but heck she was looking out for the kids I told her it was a BB gun she just said it looked dangerous and moved it. What could I say better safe then sorry BTW it was not loaded or cocked. You would think after being married more then half our life she would know the difference between a BB gun and a shotgun. I have learned a new way to sneak a new toy in the house lol.

OS OK
08-11-2016, 10:02 PM
Navy that must have been your neighbor I spoke to the other day, said...
"Oh yeah know him well, quite sorta guy, keeps to himself...come to think of it, quiet as a mouse over there...cept this one thing, From time to time I sure hear a lot of screams exclaiming 'Ooooh Shiii...' coming at odd times... Peach of a guy."

fatelk
08-11-2016, 11:23 PM
The habit of doing a chamber check paid off !

I had taken a woman friend for her first times. After teaching her the safety rules I also stressed that EVERY TIME you pick up a gun you MUST DO A CHAMBER CHECK. She continued to do that during her subsequent shooting sessions. Good habit to learn.

Exactly! You probably do it without thinking, even on a rusty old gun that hasn't been loaded in a century. It's something that becomes so ingrained it's almost instinct, and it can save you when you least expect it.

On a similar subject, my dad almost never uses his turn signal while driving. "Why should I? I know where I'm going!" is his reasoning.

On the other hand, I find myself using my turn signal on deserted roads in the middle of nowhere. I used to feel silly when I flicked the turn signal with nobody else around for miles, but now I don't. Using them all the time whether I need to or not just reinforces the habit. I teach my kids to check the chamber of a gun even if they stood next to me and watched me check it two seconds before handing it to them, and get on them if they don't.

Traffer
08-12-2016, 12:20 AM
When my brother and I were (He 11 me 9) kids. We shared a Model Winchester Model 1890 for our hunting rifle. 22 Shorts only. That particular model had a habit of having rounds get stuck in the feed mechanism where you couldn't see them when you disassembled it. My brother had it on the desk in our bedroom cleaning it and big POP. Bullet in the wall. Mom wanted to take the guns away. Dad would not deprive us. Hah, if he would have had it facing the other way I would'a took one. lmao.
I had a 410 single shot bolt from JC Pennys. Had a funky bad safety. You push it. It clicks. Me like a ******* test the safety pointing it away from anyone, big bang. Hole in my buddies 57 Chevy ceiling/roof. His dad saw the "body work" on the top of the roof, looked inside and saw the big black spot with a ragged hole in the headliner and knew....busted.

Wayne Smith
08-12-2016, 07:45 AM
What y'all are talking about - the seeming slowing of time - is called "tachycardia," I believe, and it's common among those who don't freeze up as described earlier in the hang glider incident. I've experienced it a number of times, none when something good was about to happen. Some seem to have the ability to focus so acutely that they can enter that state at will, or almost so. I've long wondered if the old time "shootists" of note didn't have that ability? Don't know that, and probably nobody can really know what another really experiences, but if and when it happens, it's amazing how much real thinking can be done in a literal twinkling of an eye! I think it's some sort of momentary victory of intellect over emotion, because those moments seem to be devoid of real emotion, even when we know the emotions are on the way. It's a strange and unenviable phenomena, I think. Nobody wants to experience it because of the events that cause them. And it's probably impossible for those who've never experienced one of those moments to believe they even exist. But they do! I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy, but they certainly do!

Nope, Blackwater, not "tachycardia". That has to do with the heart -cardia - and is the feeling that your heartbeat is shaking your whole body. It is fascinating - take your blood pressure when it is happening and it is fine - I've done it. Count your pulse, it is normal. But you feel as if your heart is beating right out of your body.

Tar Heel
08-12-2016, 09:01 AM
There is no such thing as an "Accidental Discharge." There are Negligent Discharges and Purposeful Discharges. Negligence is self explanatory and hopefully, we will never get complacent enough to have one. Thanks for sharing your experience with us and letting us all review our own practices to prevent Negligent Discharges.

fatelk
08-12-2016, 12:10 PM
If there is truly no such thing as an accidental discharge, then there must be no such thing as accidents. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. A negligent discharge IS an accidental discharge, since accidents are usually caused by negligence. Saying "it was an accident" doesn't absolve one of responsibility; just ask your auto insurer.

Did you intend to fire the gun? If not, it was an accidental discharge, likely due to either negligence or mechanical failure. Simply put, an ND is a type of AD. I know it sounds good to say that there are no accidents, only negligence. It does help drill it into a person's mind that they are responsible for their own safety in a very serious way, but it's really not technically correct.

NavyVet1959
08-12-2016, 12:34 PM
When my brother and I were (He 11 me 9) kids. We shared a Model Winchester Model 1890 for our hunting rifle. 22 Shorts only.

Deja vue...

https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B8A9o0AImjXHfmlSQWdFVFRfSmd6d19mTG1jVXUzRWhrZk1KQ WFvdjJidlFtUERRcXh3M1k/winchester-model-90-22-short-640w.jpg

Blackwater
08-12-2016, 06:44 PM
I had an elderly friend who collected and restored those 1890's, and he had, he told me, some 150 of them he'd collected and/or worked on for most of his life. He was nearly 90 when he passed, and had pretty bad neuropathy in his hands, but STILL managed to work on them. And even with the neuropathy, when he filed a flat, it stayed flat. He was a dentist and was very adept at making any castings he wanted to, and was quite a hobbyist 'smith! I miss that old man. I spent quite a few hours with him, watching him work and listening to him tell me how to do various things, and how the factory originally did them, and how and why it needed to be done the way it was. He was a very interesting and knowledgeable and informative fellow. And he was GOOD at what he did.

Thanks for making me remember him. Great fellow. He had 3 sons and none knew beans about his wondrous collection, only that they were worth a good chunk of change. That's the sad part. I'd pay a good price for one of his old guns, preferably one I knew he'd worked on, but they're not selling. None need the money, and don't know what to do with it, and I suspect, they've been told that most any vintage Winchesters are increasing in value faster than any other "investment," so ... they're just sitting on them. Fans of that very neat old rifle will cry at this, but it's far from the only situation like this. FAR from it! If they ever decide to sell them, I'll definitely let it be known here. Nobody will know the character of the man who did the work on the ones he worked on, but they'll appreciate these fine rifles anyway, and I think that's all the doc would really want or expect or hope for.

Tar Heel
08-12-2016, 09:26 PM
If there is truly no such thing as an accidental discharge, then there must be no such thing as accidents.

You nailed it. Good job!

Traffer
08-12-2016, 11:31 PM
You must be a young man.

There is no such thing as an "Accidental Discharge." There are Negligent Discharges and Purposeful Discharges. Negligence is self explanatory and hopefully, we will never get complacent enough to have one. Thanks for sharing your experience with us and letting us all review our own practices to prevent Negligent Discharges.

Tar Heel
08-13-2016, 07:41 AM
You must be a young man. Actually...no. I am educated and experienced. You do not get my age by having a lot of "accidents."

snowtigger
08-14-2016, 08:54 AM

Time does, in fact, stand still. The wife and I were on a trip to Anchorage from Fairbanks. The roads were icy, but not too bad. About 100 miles out we ran into a blizzard. I slowed down to 45 or 50 miles an hour. Traffic was very light, but I could see the headlights of an oncoming car in the distance. Suddenly, in my lane there was a car sitting, dead, without lights.Facing me so there were no reflectors. So close I knew we were going to hit it. The oncoming car meant i had to go right into the snowbank. In that fraction of a second, I realized that IF I missed that parked car, I could miss the oncoming one as well. I turned hard left, knowing it was useless, but at the last second, it turned. We missed the parked car by, literally inches. The guy coming the other way saw my sudden move and began to slow. I managed to get back in my lane in time to miss him.
Now I, like most guys always considered myself a pretty good driver, but I know I am not THAT good. The whole incident took less than 2 seconds, but it seemed like i was in slow motion. It has been more than 25 years, but I remember every detail like it was yesterday. I have been in accidents, but I have never been that scared.

snowtigger
08-14-2016, 09:07 AM
Nope, Blackwater, not "tachycardia". That has to do with the heart -cardia - and is the feeling that your heartbeat is shaking your whole body. It is fascinating - take your blood pressure when it is happening and it is fine - I've done it. Count your pulse, it is normal. But you feel as if your heart is beating right out of your body. The wife used to suffer from SVT( Supra ventricular tachycardia). The bottom half of the heart is beating normally, while the top half is racing at 200 beats per minute. Scary. A doctor fixed it by doing some surgery in her heart.

molar
08-14-2016, 11:12 AM
Not to say it'll never happen to me. It's human nature to make errors. I do however try to rack the slide Atleast ten times and check the chamber every time and make sure I see daylight down the barrel. Call it ocd or whatever but I try to be as careful with a deadly tool as much as HUMANLY possible.

I'm OCD as well and this is one of the few times it comes in being handy. LOL

Blackwater
08-14-2016, 03:10 PM
Wayne, you're right. I looked it up! Can't rely at all on the memory any more! Thanks for the correction. Now what IS the word for that sensation of "slow motion????"

leeggen
09-18-2016, 09:41 PM
At the time it is happening to ones self it is also a nightmare.
CD

FISH4BUGS
09-19-2016, 09:42 AM
I still carry a 22 bullet in my right leg from an AD when I was 22 - some 46 years ago. I had one in the chamber and dropped the clip in my Ruger RST4 - no magazine cutoff in those early guns. Touched the trigger when reloading the magazine and BANG!
Again, no reason for an AD ecept for a momentary lapse in attention. I was lucky. I missed my femoral artery by a fraction of an inch.
Scares me remembering it.

kryogen
09-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Dude come on, clear the pistol before you clean it... Jesus.

FISH4BUGS
09-21-2016, 04:20 PM
Dude come on, clear the pistol before you clean it... Jesus.
Just a momentary lapse in judgement. That's all it takes. It could happen to you too.

kryogen
09-23-2016, 04:38 PM
Just a momentary lapse in judgement. That's all it takes. It could happen to you too.

no, really, it could not.
its like saying that I could forget to remove my underwear before I shower.

Seriously, before you handle any gun, make sure it's clear, its not like you can just forget that, sorry.

NavyVet1959
09-23-2016, 04:51 PM
no, really, it could not.
its like saying that I could forget to remove my underwear before I shower.

Seriously, before you handle any gun, make sure it's clear, its not like you can just forget that, sorry.

What? You've never woken up in the shower with just your underwear on?

*Anything* can happen...

http://hunting.outdoorzy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/arrow-through-hand-bow.png

leeggen
09-23-2016, 09:23 PM
That is deffinantly a BROKEN ARROW. OOOOOUCH. Kryogen it will happen to you some day and, as in my case I hope no one gets hurt. You sir are just to sure of yourself, but if it did you would probably not let anyone know because it will be totally an accident It was posted as a helpful reminder stuff happens when you let the guard down for just an instant.
As with other trheads people post some try to take it to the far side instead of what it is for.
CD

GhostHawk
09-23-2016, 09:58 PM
He is right, anything CAN happen and someday will.

I had my first one about 2 months ago. No one injured, only causualty was my wifes remote control fan that I was using as an aim point. Thanks to sheet rock over plaster and lathe, then 1.5 inch thick douglas fir sheathing then stucco nothing came through. Totally blew my mojo for a couple of weeks though.

FYI I would have sworn that was my homemade snap cap with primer pocket replaced with hot melt glue I loaded.
I still have not figured out where that loaded round came from, or why it was where I always put my snap caps.

Brain fart is the only defense I have.