PDA

View Full Version : Failure really is the mother of success

alexzxz
07-30-2016, 02:49 AM
So today I finally got my first BP revolver, an 1858 Remington Short. To think I was so excited to have it and the next 6 hrs would be a nightmare.

https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8674/28612413726_35e4d8761c_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/KAo6L3)IMG_20160730_021202 (https://flic.kr/p/KAo6L3) by AlexZxZ (https://www.flickr.com/photos/49319171@N03/), on Flickr

The whole thing was slightly greased from packaging so I went ahead and disassembled it according to a video. Very quickly some obvious differences, you can't remove the cylinder pin on the short version.

Then I hit a problem. The trigger spring screw wouldn't come out. I was using a slightly smaller screwdriver but it worked for all the similar sized screws except this one. Tried almost everything: soaking it in penetrating oil, giving it a few whacks, heating it, chilling it, even turning it clockwise to see if I could engage the threads, nothing worked. Finally decided to **** it and went ahead and washed the frame with the cylinder stop bolt and spring inside.

Then came reassembly. I was following the video and the guy put it the hammer screw before the main spring, which seemed odd because then the spring is under tension when going in, making it much harder. His solution: whack it in. If you put the spring in first however, that seats in easily and the hammer screw goes in under tension but still much easier than otherwise. Shows you can't trust "experts" as infalleable.

Finally reassembled, but the sear wouldn't lock the hammer at full cock 80% of the time and there was no half-cock. I thought I'd gotten a busted gun.

Convinced it was that spring, I tried everything all over again and attempted to force the screw to turn. By this point, the screw was pretty much stripped. Finally decided to bite the bullet and drill out the screw with a Dremel. Then hammered in a hex star screwdriver bit and unscrewed it.

Yep it was the spring. The spring has to go over the trigger in order to engage hammer. Fixed it back, and now the hammer cocks reliably.

But still not done. The timing was messed up. After some fiddling, finally figured out the cylinder stop bolt was definitely lower than it should be so it wasn't catching the cylinder. Because I was afraid to over-tighten that screw, I had under-tightened it.

Finally, got a fully functional revolver at 2AM. Still have no idea how to reliably roll the cylinder in every time (Any tips?) but I'm done for now. If I hadn't ****ed up so bad, I would't have gotten to know the workings as intimately. Definitely useful for long term care.

TL;DR Version

1. The OEM screws SUCK!
2. Use proper fitting screwdrivers (Amazon review says you can just grind a cheap screwdriver with a Dremel)
3. If all else fails, drill the sucker out.
4. If the sear isn't engaging the hammer, the spring's not on right.
5. If the timing is off, check the cylinder bolt.
5. Learnt alot.
6. Now time to spend money on spare parts.

curator
07-30-2016, 07:40 AM
Rolling the cylinder in on a Rem 1858 only requires a gentle clock-wise (toward you viewing from the right side) twist as you insert it into the cylinder window. This movement pushes the hand into the frame. Obviously, the gun has to be on half cock. A little practice and it becomes second nature.

johnson1942
07-30-2016, 08:35 AM
was it a uberti or a pietta? i have 4 uberti revolvers. i had to put a loose spring back in where it belonged on one and just tighten screws on the others but they came apart real easy and they work like a well made clock. i also bought my self two really good multiple head screw driver sets. one always need the right screw driver head for each screw. on my nickle plated one i took out the screws and spun them and polished them to a high luster with 1500 grit paper. it matches the nickel finish better. i find highly polished steel doesnt tarnish or even rust if cared for well. i also wish the uberti screws were a little harder steel. never had a pietta cant comment about them.

alexzxz
07-30-2016, 03:29 PM
Yeah it's a pietta. Works fine now. Definitely will need to see if I can polish the internals and see if I can make the action run even smoother though it's perfectly fine now. I'm going to see if I can find alternate screws.