PDA

View Full Version : Paper 1/2 jackets.

docone31
05-25-2008, 05:24 PM
I was wondering, especially after the thread on paper gas checks, if it would be feaseable to make a paper 1/2 jacket.
Any thoughts on this?

Wayne Smith
05-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Yeah, it's called paper patching. Check out the section so named.

docone31
05-25-2008, 09:36 PM
I wasn't thinking paper patching as such. I was more considering a very thin sabot type of patch, replacing the gas check and acting as an 1/2 jacket.
I am more wondering if anyone has tried this.
I am getting geared up to patch my Smelly. I got the sizing die and now for some time to do it.

Buckshot
05-26-2008, 02:33 AM
...............If the front half of the boolit is exposed and causes leading, I seriously doubt the patched bottom half is going to improve things. I have never tried it but early half jacketed swaged bullets would, or could lead and the gilding metal half jacket didn't do anything (apparently) to preven't it's building up.

Odder things have happened, and I'd be interested in hearing of a test. I wouldn't be much surprised if it didn't make any difference. Yet failures are also a benefit to accumilated knowledge :-)

...................Buckshot

docone31
05-26-2008, 07:27 AM
That is my point.
If that was tried, for whatever reason, and it went south, what went wrong, and what did it produce?
I forget which Creedmore rifle did it, but the patch was two strips of paper laid across the muzzle at 90* then the bullet pushed down.
Perhaps another way to complicate something simple.