PDA

View Full Version : Got 2 emails from Sociable Security today

Kent Fowler
07-28-2016, 10:39 PM
First one I opened up and glanced at it, then went to other emails. Got another email an hour later from "them" saying omg the link we put in didn't work, here's the new one. I went back to the first, and I'll have to say these things are pretty slick. Sure as heck look official. Reading further, you can hit the link, input your id and p/w then take advantage of all the new security features our kind and benevolent president has so graciously ordered the SSA implement. Now, keep in mind, once they've sucked your login data, you will have to input your smartphone number so you can receive the new "security code" Included in all this information is the dire warning "If you do not have a text-enabled cell phone or you do not wish to provide your cell phone number, you will not be able to access your my Social Security account." I guess all of us old fools with flip phones are SOL,then. Unfortunately, some folks are going to fall for this. Their email address did end in ssa.gov, but it was all the junk in front of it that was another dead giveaway.

aspangler
07-28-2016, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the warning.

DougGuy
07-28-2016, 11:16 PM
I got one too. I already know what my bennies are, and they won't change them without a metric ton of real paper notifications coming in the mailbox.

Here's what the email contains:

Annual Reminder to Review Your Social Security Statement

Finance

no-reply@ssa.gov (no-reply@ssa.gov)
Jul 11 at 2:19 AM

To

(not@home.now)not@home.now

Message body

Dear Douglas:
We’d like to remind you to review your Social Security Statement online. The Statement has important Social Security information and, if applicable, estimates of your future benefits.
If you are working, we encourage you to check your Statement yearly to make sure your earnings record is correct. The Statement also will help in planning your financial future.
To view your most recent Statement, please visit www.socialsecurity.gov/signin (http://www.socialsecurity.gov/signin) and sign into your account.
With instant access to your Social Security Statement at any time, you will no longer receive one periodically in the mail, saving money and the environment. Thank you for Going Green!
Please do not reply to this E-mail, as we are unable to respond to messages sent to this address.
__________________________________________________ ________

If you click on "View Full Headers" and then look down the list of gibberish you can see what is called the "OriginatingIP" which is the IP address of the sender. Tracing this one actually resolves to the Social Security Administration, in Baltimore.

This one, might be a real one from SSA.

OR that's what the hacker's want you to think by "spoofing" a domain.

It looks like it came from the real SSA. Did it? Who knows. Do you dare click on it? NO way. They know where I live, they have my street address and my phone number. They send paper correspondence for everything they do.

MaryB
07-29-2016, 01:36 AM
If it ends in SSA.gov it is legit... would be a huge savings not printing that 3 foot tall stack of paper I receive every year! But there is no way I would EVER put an app on my cell phone with me SSA account information! To easy to hack!

w5pv
07-29-2016, 07:03 AM
SS doesn't send emails,their communications are by letters or through your lawyers.Don't fall for this trick that the hackers use.I had one that stole my SS number and turned me in as dead.The way they were caught was my other accounts that gave my wife the same as we were drawing sent her a condolence letter and said that they were transferring everything over to her.A little inconvenience to me but I had to get a notary to verify my birth certificate and go meet with a SS rep at the SS office.They said it was someone in South Texas that was doing this.

frkelly74
07-29-2016, 12:11 PM
My gut reaction was " SCAM " We can access our account info if we want to and remember our password online. But the Government does know all about us and will not ask for info from us online. If they need something we get a letter and go visit them at their office and have a nice chat face to face.

leadman
07-29-2016, 01:35 PM
Mine and my wife's SS accounts are locked. Only was to change anything on it is to go to the SS office in person. The office is only about 3 miles away so not a burden. The agent at the SS office suggested the lock when we applied for benefits due to the huge number of scams aimed at SS accounts.

bangerjim
07-29-2016, 03:40 PM
Gotta watch constantly!!!!!! There are thieves and bandits everywhere.....beside just in the DNC!

leeggen
07-29-2016, 10:51 PM
I always liked the way some of the knot heads spell cash--cache and you's without the apostrafy.
CD

MaryB
07-30-2016, 12:53 AM
It is legit, I checked the links when I got the email today. They want a cellphone number and they have a snowballs chance in you know where of getting that from me! It is a way of tracking us!

MT Gianni
07-30-2016, 09:53 AM
If you registered with an email account you get an annual reminder to check benefits. Apps are for teens, this is wasted money by out of clue Gov't folks but that is redundant in itself.

shaune509
07-30-2016, 06:08 PM
Went to irs.gov to get tax review for sons collage ap and the online printable version they wanted a cc for id and a smart phone to confirm, took the long way and requested it by mail. school ap dept got me mad as they wanted the long report instead of the short form that we downloaded through the fasfa link, what happened to paper work reduction.
Shaune509

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-30-2016, 11:53 PM
just say NO!

I would suggest the next step might be "The Mark of The Beast". For your own good, you understand...

jonp
08-03-2016, 04:20 AM
As mentioned SS will or should send you a letter once a year a month or two before your birthday to remind you to check your SSN account and benefits. It will tell you the various monthly payouts you are expected to receive, what they will be if you start drawing at different ages, etc. If you registered online and get the email do not respond to any links. Just go to the SS sight on your own and log in to check it out

Never respond to an email no more than you would give your information out to The IRS when they call demanding money immediately, they don't do that either.

Regulator.
08-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Prefer the non e-mail non internet for that.
I just dont trust