PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on a sizer

Ed Barrett
10-26-2005, 09:19 PM
I was given a lubrisizer a few days ago. I will put some pics of it on this post. The fellow i got it from said it had not been used for at least 10 years and it has a 45 die in it. The lube is a consistancy somewhere between tar acd concrete. Any tips on how to clean it out and check it?

JerryW
10-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Take a hair drier and warm it up good take the die out and work the lube screw add fresh lube until it comes out clear. You might take a bent screwdriver and dig some of the old stuff from the die pocket. Jerry

fiberoptik
10-27-2005, 12:06 AM
There's always the lubrasizer soup in an "old" not the wife's pan.

Buckshot
10-27-2005, 01:05 AM
.............Looks like an old Lyman. Apply heat as Jerry W suggested and with the die out, wind it down to push the old stuff out. Then you can use popsickle sticks or whatever else you can think of to dig the majority of the remainder out. No big deal if you don't get it all. Put in your new stuff and go to town.

.............Buckshot

Ed Barrett
10-28-2005, 12:55 PM
I got the hairdryer on the sizer and cleaned off the gunk. took it apart and cleaned it up a bit. It has a .44 die in it. filled her up with Filix lube and it seems to be working, thanks for the info. Now to get some .30, 8mm and 45 dies.

Cherokee
10-28-2005, 12:59 PM
What you have is an old Lyman #45. That is what I started with 50 years ago and still have today, working just fine.

KCSO
10-28-2005, 05:21 PM
I also have a 45 and as long as yo don't try to size over 3 thou at a step it willdo anything you need done. I also dont pressure up the resevoir, I just crank the handle for each bullet. With those restrictions the sizer is a good en. Mine came from my father in law and is at least 60 years old.

Ed Barrett
10-28-2005, 06:13 PM
The fellow I got this one from said it was his father-in-laws he got it about 25 years ago and it was old then. He said he only sized pistol bullets 38, 44, and 45 until his eyes went bad. It seems to be in good shape except for the O-ring on the die, I have replaced that.
How do I figure out which top punch to get for Lee and other makes of bullets?

boogerred
10-30-2005, 01:46 AM
for top punches i cast a bullet and try to find a close match in the lyman and rcbs catalogs.with WWs and pistol bullets and sizing only a thou or so,i never have any nose deforming.with pointy rifles i dont know if close enough is good enough.