PDA

View Full Version : Hearng loss!

Freightman
07-27-2016, 06:42 PM
Well went and got my hearing tested, good news and bad news. I can hear the normal mans voice fine, but my women's range is at the critical. Told my wife that was fine didn't have to listen to what I cant hear, I will be fine when the swelling goes down:bigsmyl2:. The bad news is the darn itty bitty hearing aid cost what a new Shiloh does. O-well didn't need the Shiloh any how such is life.

fecmech
07-27-2016, 07:52 PM
There's an old classic that says as men age they lose hearing in the upper frequency ranges and as women age their voices get higher.

NavyVet1959
07-27-2016, 08:01 PM
Repetitive Noise Hearing Loss... If you hear it a lot, you go deaf to it. My wife claims I have hearing problems, but it's only on the frequencies of her voice, so it's nothing that I can't live with...

DLCTEX
07-27-2016, 08:21 PM
I know of a fellow who had hearing loss caused by a cholestreol drug. When he quit the drug his hearing improved. My loss is from a life of guns, artillery, extremely loud machines, a fireworks, mishap, etc. It's a wounded I can hear at all.

Hickory
07-27-2016, 08:25 PM
In a lot of things I'd try to make a joke, or say something I thought would be funny, but hearing loss is no laughing matter.
Hearing loss is a handicap, just like any other handicap. But if you're blind, crippled, or wheelchair bound, people can see your disability and have sympathy or compassion. But there is no visible disability to a person who is hard of hearing and more times than not is treated without respect and contempt for "not paying attention."
People talk to you from another room and get angry with you for not answering or are facing away from you, maybe with their head in a closet or cabinet and it almost always is you fault for not hearing.
You can argue that hearing aids help and for many they do. But for some with wringing in their ears, it only makes everything that you can't hear-louder.

JWFilips
07-27-2016, 08:27 PM
25 years of Re-enacting the American Revolution as authentically as I could! Yes I'm quite deaf! Hopefully I may have thought some one about this great country's beginning!

runfiverun
07-27-2016, 08:52 PM
I talk fairly quietly but have never had a person with hearing aids ask me to repeat what I just said,
even on the telephone.

man the new hearing aids are about as super tech as you can get now, you can blue-tooth your phone to them and listen to music right through them.
they are rechargeable too.

lead-1
07-27-2016, 09:35 PM
man the new hearing aids are about as super tech as you can get now, you can blue-tooth your phone to them and listen to music right through them.
they are rechargeable too.

If you can afford them, I have no doubt that I need them but insurance covers zero percent and I can't find 6K or more for a inexpensive set.

Sweetpea
07-27-2016, 09:36 PM
My mother in law let vanity win out for many years, and refused to get hearing aids.

By the time she finally broke down and got them, her hearing was damaged far worse.

Now she doesn't wear them half the time!

marlin1889
07-27-2016, 09:45 PM
I have friends and family getting along very well with Walker Game Ears for 150..to 350 bucks,might work for you.

Rattlesnake Charlie
07-27-2016, 10:10 PM
It is not necessarily from "repetitive noise". My sisters also have hearing loss maybe greater than I do. And, I have a lot of time in the engine room of nuclear submarines and commercial power plants. Out father could hear us whisper across the room when he was in his mid-80's. And, he spend most of his life on a John Deer. The last 20 yrs on one without a muffler after the turbo. My mother's dad was hard of hearing starting in his early 50's. Just like me.

I tried the Walker Game Ears. It seemed all the noise was just amplified. I recently bought a pair from SportEar. I saved up and bought the top-of-the-line. I didn't want to suffer through what my mother does with cheap ones. I am happy with my purchase.

Don't keep putting off getting hearing aids like I did! I missed so much of my small grandchildren's communication. And, I missed some of the last few words my deceased said to me. Don't put it off.

xs11jack
07-27-2016, 10:24 PM
I am told that Costco has hearing aids in the $2000 range.
Ole Jack

richhodg66
07-27-2016, 10:36 PM
I'm an old Artilleryman and have some hearing loss. Most of the time, I'm OK, but if someone has a soft voice (I teach teenagers and a lot of them don't speak up) especially if its windy or there's background noise, I really have a hard time.

Funny, my Artillery ears aren't so much from the sound of the guns I think as much as my time in a fire direction center or fire support vehicle sometimes days on end with a big diesel engine idling and having to monitor four or five radio nets, so of them digital with that fax/dial up sound all the time. Pretty sure that damaged it worse than howitzers going off.

Regulator.
07-27-2016, 10:44 PM
HUH what did you say??
:razz:

Yeah Rich FDC can be noisy, personally hate the tinnitus

C.F.Plinker
07-27-2016, 10:46 PM
People talk to you from another room and get angry with you for not answering or are facing away from you, maybe with their head in a closet or cabinet and it almost always is you fault for not hearing.
You can argue that hearing aids help and for many they do. But for some with wringing in their ears, it only makes everything that you can't hear-louder.

The above is very, very true. As my hearing got worse, I went to more and more powerful aids. When he fitted me with my most recent and most powerful aid the audiologist told me that I would hear more BUT that I might not understand more. Boy, was he right.

If you work with or live with someone who has a major hearing loss let the aids take care of the amplification i.e. don't talk louder but face the person, talk with a lower pitch and talk slower. The lower pitch gets things down toward a range where the hearing loss may not be as bad and the slower pace lets him/her figure out what you are saying.

jcwit
07-27-2016, 10:58 PM
VA has supplied me with aids for years. I get new ones every 4 to 5 years, I'm on my 5th set now, mine are no charge.

Might look into it if you're a Vet.

bangerjim
07-27-2016, 11:50 PM
I also have a severe hearing problem. The doctor advises I cannot hear frequencies that are my wife's voice!!!!!

She always accuses me of not hearing what she says. I tell her...if she ever says anything worth hearing, I would hear it!

We have been married for over 43 years! Still no improvement in my hearing. [smilie=s:

Mk42gunner
07-28-2016, 12:34 AM
The noise I hear isn't really ringing, it sounds more like cicada's on a warm spring evening. I blame most of my hearing loss on my last two ships; they were diesels not steam, a junkboat with three big CAT V16's and a Whidbey Island class LSD.

Robert

Boz330
07-28-2016, 08:59 AM
I've spent the last 50 years in loud airplanes (Round Engine) and shooting a lot. Even with hearing protection I have ringing. If we had, had the new ANR head sets back when I started maybe it wouldn't have been so bad. Pretty amazing how quiet that engine gets when you flip that switch.
So far I can still function but soft speaking people can be a problem.

Bob

mold maker
07-28-2016, 11:59 AM
There's an old classic that says as men age they lose hearing in the upper frequency ranges and as women age their voices get higher.

Hey, that's the definition of "Naturally occurring, selective hearing". Who knew it was real.

Rick Hodges
07-28-2016, 12:12 PM
Too much unprotected gunfire...for me = high frequency hearing loss and the ringing. Hearing amplification makes the ringing crickets worse.

bob208
07-28-2016, 12:18 PM
hearing loss kept me out of the navy in 69. that was the first hearing test I ever had. in school they thought I was retarded. then after the other tests even a iq test they just thought I was being hard headed. I can hear some what but it is all just a din can not distinguish what the sounds are. I also got in shooting race cars and blacksmithing.

NavyVet1959
07-28-2016, 02:54 PM
I've been in aircraft that were so loud that I had to wear foam ear plugs (31 dB) in addition to my headset (26 dB). I could still hear the sound coming in via vibrations in my *teeth*.

w5pv
07-28-2016, 03:23 PM
If you are a veteran with hearing lose try to get it service connected and shoot for 100% unemployable as the result.In Texas each county has a VA rep that can set you up with all the appointments and test.There is no age limit and your wife will be covered also.Try to get involved with one that is concerned with you and not one that is like the one at the BOPC that will do nothing but check off the boxes and go back to chasing the office girls.I got 40% more on my disability that put me at 100%.When your at 100% unemployable your wife gets the same benefits as you.Age has nothing to do with it.I was 73 years old when my county VA agent went work on this for me.

Freightman
07-28-2016, 05:26 PM
Well I can pay them out no interest and good news only need one as my right ear is dead from an operation on the base of my brain in 93. if i lose this one haven't got another to fall back on. This one is rechargeable latest of the latest, mine was from the old trucks without air conditioning I drove for 35 years with the wind blowing through the left window. The service didn't want me tried to join in 59.

NavyVet1959
07-28-2016, 06:09 PM
Looking on the bright side, the older we get, the less there are things (or people) worth listening to... :)

richhodg66
07-28-2016, 06:48 PM
HUH what did you say??
:razz:

Yeah Rich FDC can be noisy, personally hate the tinnitus

Got that, too. I probably shouldn't complain, seems I came out of the career in better shape than most when I got out at age 46. Have had some kind of sciatica problems for a while now, worse than the hearing loss as far as getting things done.

jcwit
07-28-2016, 08:05 PM
Looking on the bright side, the older we get, the less there are things (or people) worth listening to... :)

That's a fact!

Traffer
07-28-2016, 08:54 PM
Several years ago I was helping an unfortunate friend from my Church. He had practically no hearing on one ear and completely deaf in the other. I wanted to help but have heard that hearing aids would be in the thousands. I found a hearing aid (cant remember where, online somewhere) for $198 delivered. Once we figured out how to use it it worked fine for him. I would search for better deals if I were you. Then you can send me the send me the shiloh and we would both benefit.

leadman
07-29-2016, 01:59 PM
When my dad was fighting brain cancer his hearing got real bad. I saw a set of hearing aids at Cabela's that were cheap so I bought them. They worked enough to allow him to join in conversation for his last couple of weeks. An older lady that lived next to our friends could not hear hardly at all so I cleaned up the hearing aids, changed the ear pieces and bought some batteries and gave them to her. She enjoyed being able to hear but did replace them with a better set.
I got hearing aids from the VA several months ago and while they work they have very little loud noise suppression and amplify all sound around me. Almost useless in a noisy restaurant. I seldom wear them now.

Echo
07-29-2016, 02:57 PM
VA has supplied me with aids for years. I get new ones every 4 to 5 years, I'm on my 5th set now, mine are no charge.

Might look into it if you're a Vet.
Plus One - I'm on my 3rd set, and am doing the best I can, that isn't all that good...

jcwit
07-29-2016, 04:31 PM
I got hearing aids from the VA several months ago and while they work they have very little loud noise suppression and amplify all sound around me. Almost useless in a noisy restaurant. I seldom wear them now.

Sorry to hear that, but my experience is completely different.

I see your in AZ, that may explain a lot.

Detroitdanm
08-01-2016, 03:41 AM
I'm sure some of mine may be gunfire, particularly one day at a CMP event with no ear plugs (I was very young & stupid). But the majority is due to working in heavy duty diesel engine/trucking/heavy equipment shops & truckstops for the last 35 years or so. It is really starting to become annoying as it's getting to where I often have to ask for repetition when trying to listen to somebody in a noisy environment. And has been noted, it's the higher pitched sounds that are the hardest to understand. I can hear them talking, I just can't differentiate what they're saying.

Silvercreek Farmer
08-05-2016, 09:41 PM
My grandfather finally ponied up for his aids a year or two before he died. He missed out on a lot of conversation in the years prior. Consider it money well spent. My wife and I have a "huh" agreement that whoever starts saying "huh" too much gets a hearing aid. But for now, she talks loud enough (especially when she has been lecturing students) that I say "shhhh" more than "huh"! I tell her she is practicing for my old age!