PDA

View Full Version : Wed afternoon in the sandpit

Bret4207
10-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Got a couple minutes after work, and between showers, to run down to the pit. Took my $39.00 Turk 8mm, my apparently unfired Yugo 48 8mm and my '91 Mauser 7.65x53. The 7.65 got 40 rounds of the Buckshot 316-220 (?) grain backed by 13.0 Red Dot and 10 rounds of the Fat 30 200 (?) graiin backed by the same load. The 8mm had 40 rounds of the 8mm Karibiner and 13.0 Red Dot. Pretty creative on the loading, eh? The shooting was at 25 yards due to failing light and heavy overcast skies. And because i'm half blind. The Turk shot ok for a $39.00 gun. groupd about 3 inches, but 8 inches left of the bull. Groups opened as the gun warmed. I may just recrown and see, maybe even counter bore the muzzle because the rifling isn't bad. Have to take a hard look at that. The 48 Yugo gave a first group that was more of a 6 inch pattern. A lot of horizontal dispertion. I checked the target and let it cool a bit. The next group was better and I was getting the rear sight set for height. The next group was much better. The last group on a fresh target gave me a 6 round group with 5 of the 6 touching! Now thats only 25 yards, but there is promise there. I also found that short stock to be a pain in the neck. To be more precise a pain in the right eye tooth. That stock is pretty generous in the comb and being hunched over the hood had it coming back into the tooth every time. I may add some length and see if that helps. Nothing serious but if I try the Oldfeller T-rex loads it could be an issue. The Karibiner looks like a winner in my Yugo anyway. Alloy was straight air cooled WW and the one recovered boolit was 14 inches deep into wet sand. It ought to be a north to south penetrator.

The '91 Argie with the Buckshot 316-220 did nicley. Round groups of 2 inches or so. I loaded these to be a contact fit in the throat, which is about a yard and half long on this rifle. The Fat 30 was loaded much shorter because the Co-Ax press wouldn't let me load longer and still seat the bullet. The Argie loves the Fat30! First 3 shots were touching, the next 5 opened it to maybe 1 3/4" for 8 shots. Saved 2 for resetting the die. What a nice surprise that was.

Not bad for 45 minutes at the end of a soggy day.

Buckshot
10-27-2005, 01:18 AM
............Bret, any shooting time is time well spent. As a coincidence I just loaded up 40 rounds of the Fat 30 in various loads for the M91 Arg Eng Carbine, and 50 rounds loaded for a M1909 Arg Cav Carb.

Since I had a bunch all lubesized, I decided to try some out in the 1898 Krag. Crimped into the top lube groove they feed through the magazine, and chamber fine. The fat nose (.3035") is engraved for about .250". They're sized .312" and I can see a bit of burnishing on a part of one side of the caseneck. Should still be plenty of room to release the slug.

............Buckshot

sundog
11-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Bret, I shot a few of the 8mm Karibiner's yesterday before the electric went off late in the afternoon - still off this morning. Big, big wind storm, power lines down, fires - lots of big fires - haven't had significant rain in weeks. Lots of wide spread property damage. Anyway, I load at the bench and then go behing the barn and test, well that was okay until the electric went off. But the ten that I did shoot with 4895 did a very nice job - more testing for this one, for sure. I'm thinkg like you, no reason this should not be a good hunting boolit. This boolit is long enough that on loading the GC extends into the boiler room, but it seems to shoot good. sundog