PDA

View Full Version : Universal, immutable laws of bullet casting and reloading

michiganmike
07-25-2016, 08:10 PM
I INVITE YOU TO ADD YOUR PERSONAL UNIVERSAL, IMMUTABLE LAW OF BULLET CASTING AND RELOAD:

Here is mine. It is generally true in my life. If I misplace something in my casting/reloading area and cannot find it it will reappear within a week after buying a new one. Currently I can't find my Lyman cast bullet manual. All I have to do is order a new one and the old one will appear.

What law have you discovered?

RED333
07-25-2016, 08:13 PM
This one works for all tasks
"The hurrier I go the be hinder I get"

marvelshooter
07-25-2016, 08:37 PM
I cast outside and set up a big umbrella even if there is not a cloud in the sky because rain will be on it's way.

OS OK
07-25-2016, 08:55 PM
Never have the following thought about a tool or anything you prize..."I think I'll put this in a safe place so I won't loose it!"...I've had to reorder miscellaneous items because the previously owned item was put in a safe place. Never saw it again. One time I put the second (a bore sight) item I ordered in a safe place and found the original there.

Landshark9025
07-25-2016, 08:59 PM
All of the .40 cal cases have been sorted out and the 9mm batch can now go into the tumbler without them getting stuck and making a mess later.

Hickory
07-25-2016, 09:05 PM
Safe place=time and space displacement transporter.

leeggen
07-25-2016, 09:12 PM
Deer just materialize in the middle of a 50 acrea field,they have transporting capabilities.
CD

maxreloader
07-25-2016, 09:16 PM
Patience and concentration are a fools best friend while casting and loading.

runfiverun
07-25-2016, 10:01 PM
those are hot, they might not look hot, but they are.

knowing you have 2 of something does not guarantee you'll find either one of them.
and you won't find the one you want until after you make the one you don't sorta work good enough to do the job.

nagantguy
07-25-2016, 10:54 PM
I can go for a week with 3 phone calls not work related, fire up the pot and it'll ring at least 3 times.
hot molds cast better
write down everything you need for a load or project, cause no matter how good or bad it is or was in a year you WILL NOT REMEMBER!
own two of any critically important tool or book
do not ever, never under any curicumstance reload or cast when your in a hurry, time is short or your over tired.
my best magic special sure fire pet load is only better than yours in my pet rifle on my best day, and maybe not even then.

varmintpopper
07-26-2016, 12:34 AM
Guessed at the amounts of ingredients to make boolit lube,,, best I ever made,,,didn't write down nothing,,,Can't remember,,,Sheet !!!

Good Shooting

Lindy

Bigslug
07-26-2016, 12:48 AM
All small items that are accidentally dropped will not just roll underneath the work bench, but will roll all the way to the wall behind it.

Kraschenbirn
07-26-2016, 09:18 AM
A freshly cleaned bottom-pour pot will ALWAYS drip until it decides not to.

Bill

Rattlesnake Charlie
07-26-2016, 09:23 AM
Every time I put something up in a "safe spot" so it will not get lost, I can't find it when I need it. I will find it when looking for something else.

Rattlesnake Charlie
07-26-2016, 09:24 AM
I cast outside and set up a big umbrella even if there is not a cloud in the sky because rain will be on it's way.

There are farmers in Kansas that will bring you iced tea and lunch if you will cast in the middle of their fields.

frkelly74
07-26-2016, 09:26 AM
get just a little more when the getting is good.

Digital Dan
07-26-2016, 09:28 AM
The Tinsel Fairy is not your friend.

Shiloh
07-26-2016, 09:38 AM
"If it is wet, it isn't hot."

Water dropping. Been burned pretty good by cooled boolits.

SHiloh

10x
07-26-2016, 10:44 AM
When you search high and low for a week for a tool you know you have, give up the search, go buy a new tool, use it, then put it away in right beside the old tool in a place you have looked at several times in your search for the old tool.

I cuuently have an NOE 0.259 5 cavity mold that I am searching for while waiting for the new one to arrive. When it gets here I will probably find the lost mold. I pray that I don't put this one with the first one and end up ordering a third because I can't find the two I already have

Old Scribe
07-26-2016, 10:48 AM
After cleaning up the shop, and throwing away odds and ends saved for those "just in case" situations, that have gathered dust for the last 5 years, I find I needed an odds and ends thingy.

Bent Ramrod
07-26-2016, 11:12 AM
The next boolit mould you buy will always be the magical one-holer you've dreamed of. Once you get it, the magic fades after five range sessions or so, and the hunt begins again.

Whatever lead alloy you want to try next, the wrong alloy is what's frozen in the pot. Before you can get one boolit cast, you have to melt that, pour it out, put in the new and wait for it to melt.

A watched pot never melts. On the other hand, an unwatched pot always drips.

alamogunr
07-26-2016, 11:31 AM
This is just a further example of putting something where you can be sure of finding it. I put up two extra cylinders for my FA 83 when I came in from the range and didn't want to clean right away. When I looked for them, no luck. Knowing in time they would show up, I dialed back the search for 2-3 months. Still no cylinders. So I made arrangements to replace them. Sure enough, after FA had made the cylinders, I found them. That little lesson cost me at least a grand after shipping and re-purposing one of the cylinders.

My adherence to those immutable laws always be very expensive.

mdi
07-26-2016, 11:44 AM
Reloading/casting benches and tool boxes shrink with time. When first purchased or set up, there is plenty of room for tools supplies, etc. but very soon the bench or tool box has shrunk and will not hold all the necessary tools...

alamogunr
07-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Reloading/casting benches and tool boxes shrink with time. When first purchased or set up, there is plenty of room for tools supplies, etc. but very soon the bench or tool box has shrunk and will not hold all the necessary tools...

That applies to "gun safes" too.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-26-2016, 12:01 PM
For every blade of grass on my lawn, is a spent primer gathering dust on my reloading room floor.

dondiego
07-26-2016, 01:16 PM

If I put a tool belt on my waist line, do you think it will shrink?

Bookworm
07-26-2016, 01:58 PM

The tool belt will.

The waist will not.

OS OK
07-26-2016, 02:14 PM

No, the wearer 'thickens', but as far as the tool pouch goes... as an electrician who first sported a tool belt in 1968...they don't shrink but, with all the added tools that we 'might use or need', so I don't have to walk out to the truck...they tend to gain an unacceptable amount of weight...just like with a mans wallet, stop and thin that pouch on a regular basis!

Traffer
07-26-2016, 02:20 PM
When I drop something, no matter how big it is, it has disappeared forever as soon as it hits the floor. Gone...never to be seen again.

tmc-okc
07-26-2016, 03:09 PM
Usually when I am right smack dab in the middle of a project that requires my utmost concentration, one that I certainly should not walk away from and leave unattended, I get a "call" from "Mother Nature". This is usually not a call I can ignore without dire consequences.. Unlike my earthly mother, "Mother Nature" does NOT call twice nor does she take kindly to waiting..

Ron H

shredder
07-26-2016, 03:21 PM
Write things down. You will never remember the exact notes you take but you will need them. Otherwise you are doomed to repeat yourself endlessly!

AggieEE
07-26-2016, 03:28 PM
When you have a simple repair to do NEVER EVER say " this will be simple."
When taping holes, again never say "this is the last hole and I haven't broken a tap yet."

Duckiller
07-26-2016, 03:36 PM
If you loose things in your reloading area you need to clean it up. I know ,I have really cleaned my reloading room once in the last 35 years. Amazing the thing I found. Also got rid of many duplicate di sets. Clean didn't last long then daughter took over my reloading room for her computer room. May have to evict her in the fall.

Tar Heel
07-26-2016, 04:58 PM
those are hot, they might not look hot, but they are.

This one is number 1

Tar Heel
07-26-2016, 05:00 PM
I'll only cast two more bullets then I'm done.

RogerDat
07-26-2016, 05:29 PM
^^^ Which as we all know leads to......

I'll just finish this set of 10 then I'm done.

And it is a 95% certainty that those will NOT be the caliber or profile you really need a week later. That specific bullet will be the 11 in the bottom of a coffee can that you have been meaning to restock with more bullets.

10x
07-26-2016, 06:59 PM
When an object is truly hot, no one has to be told to put it down.
That was what a blacksmith said about a piece that he lay to cool on a bench near the forge when asked about a child picking it up.

blikseme300
07-26-2016, 07:31 PM
Casting alloy has a critical mass. Once you have collected and/or bought enough to last you for a long time free WW's and other alloys are gifted to you unasked. I have not yet reached this critical mass...

OS OK
07-26-2016, 08:08 PM
When an object is truly hot, no one has to be told to put it down.
That was what a blacksmith said about a piece that he lay to cool on a bench near the forge when asked about a child picking it up.

One thing is always true...when someone picks up something hot...it don't take them long to look at it!

mdi
07-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Write things down. You will never remember the exact notes you take but you will need them. Otherwise you are doomed to repeat yourself endlessly! But then I envariable put the note in a "safe" place, never to be found again...

Guardian
07-26-2016, 11:37 PM
Can't say they apply to everyone, but they certainly apply in mine:

1) The great attributes of the better priming tools are impossible to fit into one tool. If it were possible, it would have been done already.

2) Whatever I want to work on will not be what's setup.

3) If I build the "perfect" bench, the next press I buy will not fit it.

4) When everything is going according to plan, I'm overlooking something.

5A) After struggling with a problem most of the day, my wife will walk in when I'm nearly finished and enlighten me on an easier way to do it. (that may only apply when you marry an engineer)

5B) If I ask for her input prior to beginning a project, no easier way exists.

6) Reloading benches are human magnets that instantly switch polarity with the mention of moving.

7) Lead dross that is "mostly lead" will render 75% dirt.

8) The box of bullets you need will always be on the bottom. Likewise, the box of ammo you need.

9) If something breaks, buy two more. I'll break the first replacement trying to figure out how I broke the original.

10) The most critical part will always be the one that nosedives off the bench.

11) While attempting to catch a dropped small part, I manage to contort my body into the optimal shape to create a localized wormhole. Such cannot be accomplished any other way.

Abenaki
07-27-2016, 12:13 AM
When I go to get a Philips head screw driver, all I can find are the regular ones.

When I need a regular screw driver, all I can find are the ones with a Philips head.

Take care
Abenaki

Mk42gunner
07-27-2016, 12:16 AM
The second you drop a box of boolits that you are getting ready to lube, the cat/ kitten that normally ignores you will come in and want to play with the neat shiny things. This also applies to primers.

Robert

SierraHunter
07-27-2016, 12:47 AM
You will always end up with one extra case or bullet when doing a large batch of ammo.

RogerDat
07-27-2016, 01:10 AM
You will always end up with one extra case or bullet when doing a large batch of ammo. That's funny, around here we always end up short one case or bullet when doing a large batch.

JRPVT
07-27-2016, 01:18 AM
If product is flying smoothly through the presses, everything checks out good and you're happy...something, somewhere will be very wrong. Dave

marvelshooter
07-27-2016, 05:45 AM
You will always end up with one extra case or bullet when doing a large batch of ammo.
Even if they do match up there will be 99 if you are trying to fill a 100 round ammo carrier.

rosewood
07-27-2016, 06:57 AM
When you finish using something, always put it back where you had it stored. Take that extra 30 seconds to put it up now instead of days looking for it later. Can't seem to make my wife or father-in-law understand that. They lose everything. Store similar/related items in the same area. Use a sharpie to write on the contaier what category of parts are in it or label what brass is in it. Keeps you from having to open all containers to find the one you are looking for. Again, this takes 30 seconds and may save hours. Makes life a whole lot easier. Guess you could call that an ounce of prevention is worth a lb of cure.

DerekP Houston
07-27-2016, 08:13 AM
When I go to get a Philips head screw driver, all I can find are the regular ones.

When I need a regular screw driver, all I can find are the ones with a Philips head.

Take care
Abenaki

Same for hex wrenches. When in doubt the size I need will be the only one missing for the set.

Also....you only find out how important safety equipment is after an accident ;).

10x
07-27-2016, 08:19 AM
When you accidentally drop a small essential part (usually a screw or a spring) it will simply evaporate or go into another dimension. Years of searching will not find it.

Texantothecore
07-27-2016, 09:26 AM
All beginning boolit casters will pick up the last boolit cast and 600 f is not pleasant.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-27-2016, 09:36 AM
Got a new item and no good place to store it ? Then this law applies.

The longer you think about the best place to store something, is directly related to the time needed to recall where you put it.

rondog
07-27-2016, 10:02 AM
all small items that are accidentally dropped will not just roll underneath the work bench, but will roll all the way to the wall behind it.

Truth!!! I've been meaning to add a kickboard to the bottom shelf of my bench for this very reason, but I have too much stuff stored under there now. At least I'll always have more primers and pieces of brass if I get in the mood to grovel around under there - and spray for spiders first.....

mold maker
07-27-2016, 10:47 AM
My Dad had a sign on his parts shelves that read.

"Don't tear the labels off and make me as dumb as you are."
"If you can't read the label, you aren't smart enough to use what's in the box."

I have the same sign, up behind my bench, and it also applies to me.

Walter Laich
07-27-2016, 10:50 AM
If you only have one more batch of 50 to reload all you'll have is the wrong primer size.

The 'plus' version of this is loading the wrong primers into an automatic primer tube.

popper
07-27-2016, 10:51 AM
My normal response - aw shucks. Well, not exactly those words.

mdi
07-27-2016, 12:19 PM
All beginning boolit casters will pick up the last boolit cast and 600 f is not pleasant.
BTDT! I dropped a "perfect" bullet outta a mold, and got excited "Wow, look at that!" and picked it up. Major blisters on index finger and thumb...

NoAngel
07-27-2016, 12:47 PM
If you read it on the internet...you should probably do the opposite.

Springfield
07-27-2016, 01:00 PM
Right after you drive 80 miles to get that "really good deal" on some lead, which you buy although you really couldn't afford it, someone will come up to you and give you the same thing for almost nothing. Happened twice so far this year.

10x
07-27-2016, 01:16 PM
BTDT! I dropped a "perfect" bullet outta a mold, and got excited "Wow, look at that!" and picked it up. Major blisters on index finger and thumb...

On the bright side, no one had to tell you to set it down.

rr2241tx
07-27-2016, 01:37 PM
Items left in one's wish list at an online outfitter will be received as a gift a month after the rifle they were to be used with is traded off.

Once you buy the premium priced Redding die set because no one else has made any in years, multiple friends will give you their unused RCBS sets of the dies you wanted in the first place.

Never buy a hunting rifle until you have determined what ammo the convenience store nearest your destination carries in stock. Sight your rifle in with that ammo.

Custom rifles chambered for exotic cartridges increase the probability that you will be the camp cook because your ammo is on your dresser at home.

The small shooter bull you passed on the first day of the hunt is the only bull you will see.

dave roelle
07-27-2016, 01:44 PM
That super important component that your desperately searching for will ALWAYS be in the last place you look

DerekP Houston
07-27-2016, 04:05 PM
That super important component that your desperately searching for will ALWAYS be in the last place you look

Well of course it will be in the last place you look.....

Why keep looking after you found it :kidding:

dave roelle
07-27-2016, 04:11 PM
[smilie=l:

gwpercle
07-27-2016, 05:34 PM
The longer you reload , the more reloading stuff you will amass....

After all these years I should have two of everything I should possibly need... but my reloading room just keeps getting more stuff piled in boxes , bins , nooks and crannies...are reloaders and casters latent hoarders ?
I will admit to being a pack-rat.
Gary

John Boy
07-27-2016, 06:06 PM
I looked for 2 days for my 32-20 mold ... gave up and order a new one - the next morning, the 1st one found me!

edler7
07-27-2016, 06:38 PM
When you drop something big and unimportant, it will always land and stop right by your feet.

If it's tiny and very important, it will ricochet off 3 walls faster than you can follow it, and be swallowed up by a black hole never to be seen again, no matter how many hours you spend looking.

jcren
07-27-2016, 07:28 PM
When you drop something big and unimportant, it will always land and stop right by your feet.

If it's tiny and very important, it will ricochet off 3 walls faster than you can follow it, and be swallowed up by a black hole never to be seen again, no matter how many hours you spend looking.

When I started working on copiers, the old timer that trained me referred to tiny springs and e-clips as "Jesus" springs and clips. When you hear that ping/pop you either cuss or pray.

Leadmelter
07-27-2016, 08:34 PM
Double check every powder setting with a manual or your notes. Do not rely on memory if you are over 60.
Leadmelter
MI

OS OK
07-27-2016, 09:16 PM
I keep small 1/2 X 1 X 1 1/2" bar magnet on the bench stuck to each press plate...anything taken off or out or a small allen wrench or a set screw...whatever, I stick it to the magnet...saves me a lot of floor time on my knees with a flashlight.
Many times though, before it leaves my paws and onto the magnet, some small little thing will just jump out of my old fingers and head for parts unknown. Maybe I have a pesky ghost lending a hand.

DerekP Houston
07-27-2016, 09:20 PM
I keep small 1/2 X 1 X 1 1/2" bar magnet on the bench stuck to each press plate...anything taken off or out or a small allen wrench or a set screw...whatever, I stick it to the magnet...saves me a lot of floor time on my knees with a flashlight.
Many times though, before it leaves my paws and onto the magnet, some small little thing will just jump out of my old fingers and head for parts unknown. Maybe I have a pesky ghost lending a hand.

Dang that is a good idea for magnetic parts. Thanks for sharing! I've lost count of how many springs/screws I've replaced due to them disappearing in a datacenter floor or my own carpet. Always carry spares now.

stinjie
07-27-2016, 09:22 PM
If you want or need your wife for something and can't find her,fire up the pot,start casting.She'll call for you as soon as you start to pour lead.

Traffer
07-27-2016, 09:43 PM
You always do your best work when you quit trying really hard to focus and focus because it you love it. (this one is really true for me)

runfiverun
07-27-2016, 10:04 PM
When I started working on copiers, the old timer that trained me referred to tiny springs and e-clips as "Jesus" springs and clips. When you hear that ping/pop you either cuss or pray.

you must have not worked on a carter carburetor, they were actually jesus clips when ordering a new one from the parts store.
every other time they flipped off your thumb they went right down one of the venturis on the carb, the other time they dropped down the side of the intake manifold.
you could see it plain as day, right there, there it is,,, yep that's it.
awww Jezus.

no matter how many hundreds of dollars worth of pick-up tools, awls, screw drivers, picks, or how many magnet shapes you had on hand, you were not getting that 3 cent clip back.
I just threw a box of them clips away along with a ton of accelerator pumps for the Quadra-jet and holly 2 barrel carbs.

PaulG67
07-27-2016, 10:28 PM
"The longer you reload , the more reloading stuff you will amass...."
"After all these years I should have two of everything I should possibly need... but my reloading room just keeps getting more stuff piled in boxes , bins , nooks and crannies...are reloaders and casters latent hoarders ?
I will admit to being a pack-rat.
Gary"

There is a law that applies to that. It goes like this. No matter how large you make your reloading room or new garage, or barn or any building it will never be large enough because--Possessions will increase in order to fill available space.

PaulG67
07-27-2016, 10:39 PM
Years ago my work bench was situated across from my 3 cords of stacked firewood in my cellar. One day while working on my 1911 I was removing the spring and detents that hold the safety and the slide lock, well of course that spring popped out and flew right over my shoulder and landed in the middle of said stack of firewood, I searched carefully, for days removing layer after layer of firewood and checking every surface with a strong magnet, no joy, this was in September as I recall, the next spring 5 or6 months later after burning all of that wood and one day I was cleaning up the detritus that firewood leaves behind and lo and behold there was that dammn spring sitting right on top of a mound of junk I had just swept into a pile. Of course I had already bought another, actually two, but I just could not believe I found it.

OS OK
07-27-2016, 11:10 PM
Springs grow legs instantly after being released from their 'metal cocoons', that explains why you find them where you've looked before. Heck...I think they even get wings too. They fly faster than the eye can track them.

tazman
07-27-2016, 11:37 PM
There is no such thing a a primer catcher that catches all the spent primers. If there is one made, at some point while emptying it, you will drop it, spilling all the spent primers on the floor anyway.
Corollary to the first--- Never deprime cases in your bedroom. You will find the lost primers when you get up in the night to go to the bathroom in your bare feet(don't ask me how I know).
Second corollary-- If you lost a spring or small part you will find it by stepping on it and either crush it or run it into your foot.

Mk42gunner
07-28-2016, 12:47 AM
The one type of gun that really deserves the name jamamatic? The staple gun.

claude
07-28-2016, 05:31 AM
There's no such thing as a "15 minute job".

mdi
07-28-2016, 12:14 PM
On the bright side, no one had to tell you to set it down. Yep. I be a quik lerner, plus I lernt pain hurts and fahr burns...

floydboy
07-28-2016, 01:08 PM
I just read this entire thread and grinned most of the way through. It is so good to know I'm not the only one who has these problems and experiences. I'm not such a bad caster or reloader after all.

Floyd

gwpercle
07-28-2016, 01:44 PM
I looked for 2 days for my 32-20 mold ... gave up and order a new one - the next morning, the 1st one found me!
Absolutely the best surest way to find something...

blackthorn
07-28-2016, 02:05 PM
If I lose the bearing/spring/nut etc. it will be because that was the ONE time I skipped disassembling the item inside the big clear plastic bag I always use just to avoid that loss.

3 gun Gus
07-28-2016, 04:41 PM
There is never enough time to do the job right. But there is always enough time to do it again!

Gus

Texantothecore
07-28-2016, 04:57 PM
Re:

Buying new equipment and then finding the same equipment on the day of delivery for the new stuff.
The harder it is to find a really safe place to store equipment the harder it is to find.
I thought it was just me.

Texantothecore
07-28-2016, 05:00 PM
For the first time I just ordered reloading dies for a caliber that I cannot shoot. I guess I'll have to buy another gun.

jimb16
07-28-2016, 07:40 PM
I can't believe you guys missed this one! When you buy a new mold, always buy the nose punch that goes with it! Even if you have 50 of them, you won't have one that fits!

DerekP Houston
07-28-2016, 08:03 PM
For the first time I just ordered reloading dies for a caliber that I cannot shoot. I guess I'll have to buy another gun.

Lol I got resizing dies on accident in the wrong size off ebay, I'm still saving them for when I pick up a 45/70

alamogunr
07-28-2016, 08:18 PM

Not reloading, but every time I clean a 1911, I lose the plug that covers the recoil spring. I usually spend up to 15-20 minutes looking for it. Most times it flew in a different direction than I thought. I guess I should practice field stripping every day until I can do it without losing that part.

rintinglen
07-29-2016, 01:34 AM
In any stack of stuff, the one you want will be on the bottom. Even If you just used it yesterday.

mdi
07-29-2016, 12:29 PM
If I lose the bearing/spring/nut etc. it will be because that was the ONE time I skipped disassembling the item inside the big clear plastic bag I always use just to avoid that loss.
BTDT!! When I was rebuilding carburetors, I normally used a large cookie sheet even if I was working on a carpeted bench. Occasionally I'd forget or just be in a hurry and invariably I'd lose a teeny-tiny part. Some of those tiny springs fly yards...

PbHurler
07-29-2016, 01:12 PM

Ohhhh this is so true.

You're in the groove, everything's going GREAT: Pot temp's perfect, each mold opening is dropping perfectly filled out boolits from whatever mold you're using, a huge pile of 'em cooling on the side, you've been at it for hours, your back's killing you but...

I'll only cast two more then I'm done.

This is the definition, we need a word for it.

Great thread!

RogerDat
07-29-2016, 02:35 PM
The live primer that falls will not be found by you in 30 minutes of searching. It will however be found by wife using a vacuum on carpet 25 feet from bench on bare floor.

DerekP Houston
07-29-2016, 03:10 PM
Ohhhh this is so true.

You're in the groove, everything's going GREAT: Pot temp's perfect, each mold opening is dropping perfectly filled out boolits from whatever mold you're using, a huge pile of 'em cooling on the side, you've been at it for hours, your back's killing you but...

Great thread!

Dang I thought I was the only one...every time it is sticking and I want to quit, they start raining bullets. When I want to sit down and cast I start fighting with them all over again. Just one of the quirks of the hobby for me.

OS OK
07-29-2016, 03:52 PM
Ohhhh this is so true.

Great thread!

When you get 'back to casting' and the mold heats up to perfection and there are no 'casts to throw back', boolits rain like crazy until you get a 'castback'​.

gon2shoot
07-29-2016, 07:17 PM
When everything is clicking, melt temp good, mold temp good, fillout good, then you think...........this ain't the alloy I want for this boolit.

jimb16
07-29-2016, 07:38 PM
OCD! Obsessive Casting Disorder! Just a couple more, just a couple more, just a couple more, just a coup........

mdi
07-30-2016, 12:29 PM
OCD! Obsessive Casting Disorder! Just a couple more, just a couple more, just a couple more, just a coup........
Yep and "I can stop anytime I want to"...

fcvan
07-30-2016, 12:34 PM
Whenever I cast a short run (250 or less) and try to count, I will invariably cast and lose count. Simple fix, cast until the baseball game (talk radio show, podcast, etc.) is over, and enjoy the pile of boolits that magically appeared. THEN powder coat the short run I need to load

shredder
07-30-2016, 07:16 PM
Never disassemble anything within 100 yards of shag carpet.

If you are a man of many moulds make sure you actually need more of what you are casting! I just finished up a batch of 300 .35 300 FN and set then down neatly in a box right next to the other 500 I had cast some time ago.

Digital Dan
07-30-2016, 11:51 PM
When one decides to cast a certain bullet with a previously boxed alloy that has lusted for attention for months, it will vanish just before you reach the storage shelf.

10x
07-31-2016, 06:44 AM
When one decides to cast a certain bullet with a previously boxed alloy that has lusted for attention for months, it will vanish just before you reach the storage shelf.

The alloy? The mold? Both?

S.B.
07-31-2016, 09:19 AM
I INVITE YOU TO ADD YOUR PERSONAL UNIVERSAL, IMMUTABLE LAW OF BULLET CASTING AND RELOAD:

Here is mine. It is generally true in my life. If I misplace something in my casting/reloading area and cannot find it it will reappear within a week after buying a new one. Currently I can't find my Lyman cast bullet manual. All I have to do is order a new one and the old one will appear.

What law have you discovered?

I concur, hell to get old(in my case anyway).
Steve

Digital Dan
07-31-2016, 04:16 PM
If you cast bullets long enough you will learn to do so when convenient (1st priority) or required (last priority). You will, in time, decide that since you contrived the ultimate bullet for a given gun that some day when convenient you will decide to cast a large lot for future use. You might even cast large lots of several different styles of bullets in multiple alloys if one is truly dedicated. You might find, on the other hand, that one day in a flight of panic that you have a match upcoming and do not have the bullets to feed your cannon. So you will do an inventory for planning purposes and find that the last priority mode has just kicked in on the last day of July during the hottest summer of record.

With luck you may wake up at 4 AM, have coffee and toast, then turn on the melt pot by 5, just so's you can beat the heat. If you're really nimble you can juggle multiple single and double cavity moulds in a 4 hour run and craft several hundreds of bullets before it gets hot, and save the last segment of the casting marathon for the next day/morning/whatever.

After cleaning everything up and going inside to put equipment and new bullets in storage or prep for lube/sizing/fondling etc. you will no doubt, at some point in your casting career, realize you don't have any place to store your stash.

Be thoughtful gentlemen, women don't hardly ever miss a trick. The back of the medicine chest is not the place to be storing your silver jewels.

Hogtamer
07-31-2016, 04:48 PM
I have two of everything, except what I need right now!

murf205
08-05-2016, 10:37 PM
If you don't mark the primers in the loaded rounds in the MTM ammo box AND have a note in there to identify the different loads, you are surely destined to tip over the box and all the ammo get mixed up. Been there and done that(more than once).

skipme56
08-07-2016, 11:06 AM
My latest boo boo. Always make sure to put the cotter pin back in the primer tube, or you'll be picking up primers all over the floor.

mold maker
08-08-2016, 03:17 PM
The easiest to lose and the hardest to find is that little spring you were trying to install under tension.
Hint, A large magnet helps.

FISH4BUGS
08-09-2016, 06:37 AM
You never have enough primers, powder, brass, bullets loaded ammo, or lead. Even with more brass than I will use in my lifetime, I still pick up every piece of brass I can get my hands on at the range. Even with well over 2000 lbs of wheel weights I still pick them up off the floor at the tire shop. Pathetic.

10x
08-09-2016, 08:29 AM
You never have enough primers, powder, brass, bullets loaded ammo, or lead. Even with more brass than I will use in my lifetime, I still pick up every piece of brass I can get my hands on at the range. Even with well over 2000 lbs of wheel weights I still pick them up off the floor at the tire shop. Pathetic.

It is amazing how picking up 500 rounds empties of any single caliber at a gun range will bring out the impulse to purchase a gun in that caliber.
How I got my first 308, and my first 223...

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-09-2016, 09:03 AM
I have two of everything, except what I need right now!
OMG, yes, this one is spot on.
My best friend (a local vegetable farmer) and myself have a bad habit of collecting backups, that is a second tool/device of the thing we use/need often, so when it breaks down, we have a backup. Backups all over the place, yet it's a daily occurrence for one of us to call the other and ask, "hey do you have a thing-a-ma-jig, I thought I had one and I can't find it, I'm sure you have one, can I borrow it?"

OS OK
08-09-2016, 10:20 AM
The rancher next door is always borrowing, so much so I had to put a chalk board up in the shop and write all the tools he borrowed on it.
One day I cleaned all the tool boxes of extras I seem to never need and gave him 3 X 5 gal. buckets full of a great assortment.
He still borrows, I still use the chalk board.
In the end it ain't so bad for when I want a frontloader with landscape box or backhoe I have one for as long as I need.

One fella scratchin the others back and vise versa.

DerekP Houston
08-09-2016, 10:23 AM
The rancher next door is always borrowing, so much so I had to put a chalk board up in the shop and write all the tools he borrowed on it.
One day I cleaned all the tool boxes of extras I seem to never need and gave him 3 X 5 gal. buckets full of a great assortment.
He still borrows, I still use the chalk board.
In the end it ain't so bad for when I want a frontloader with landscape box or backhoe I have one for as long as I need.

One fella scratchin the others back and vise versa.

Sounds like a great neighbor! I always return stuff I borrow promptly and with a "thank you gift" of some kind, but my tools seem to wander off and disappear on their own. Oh well always another trip to home depot on deck anyways! I could use a new gas powerhead for my trimmer if you feel so inclined ;) the ryobi is on its last legs.

rosewood
08-09-2016, 12:40 PM

Yep, have plenty of brass, but still pickup those abandoned .223 brass at the range. Far more than I could ever need. I still do not have enough wheel weights. I do however, pick them up off the road. If traffic light is red, I will jump out and grab them when I see them.

Rosewood

OS OK
08-09-2016, 01:10 PM
Sounds like a great neighbor! I always return stuff I borrow promptly and with a "thank you gift" of some kind, but my tools seem to wander off and disappear on their own. Oh well always another trip to home depot on deck anyways! I could use a new gas powerhead for my trimmer if you feel so inclined ;) the ryobi is on its last legs.

With your concerns over your 1911, I was going to surprise you with a couple of those...but...If you have your heart set on a weed whacker motor instead...OK...:bigsmyl2: ...

gwpercle
08-09-2016, 01:50 PM
No matter how careful you are , sooner or later you will spill a full box of primers all over the floor, and after crawling around on your hands and knees for an hour , you will only find 99.

Gary

tmc-okc
08-09-2016, 03:07 PM
gwpercle, Not near as bad as dropping a half full open bag of #9 shot... Lets see - that's is 567, 568, 569, 570 -- how many more do I have to go ???

Ron H

runfiverun
08-09-2016, 03:33 PM
#9 ain't too bad.
spill 15 lbs of #12 in the back of your wife's new Tahoe and it takes her mind off the fact you just hauled a Buck home in the back of it two weeks prior.

tazman
08-09-2016, 06:36 PM
#9 ain't too bad.
spill 15 lbs of #12 in the back of your wife's new Tahoe and it takes her mind off the fact you just hauled a Buck home in the back of it two weeks prior.

Only temporarily. Women remember everything you ever did wrong and will bring it to your attention even years later. That said, I think they just do it for fun since mine doesn't complain about the new rifle, handgun, or reloading supplies. She just like to stick a pin in me every so often.

woodbutcher
08-09-2016, 08:04 PM
[smilie=s: This thread reminds me of what my flight instructor Ray Bloomer used to tell me."Keep your head out of the cockpit".WHY you ask?Just remember,Mr Murphy is just around the corner.[smilie=l:
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

jimb16
08-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Having a backup of everything doesn't work gentlemen! I can't find either of them!

Walter Laich
08-10-2016, 08:56 PM
I have lost items by setting them down on the bench, like 10 seconds ago. No where to be found. Done this multiple of times