PDA

View Full Version : Bullets Won't Eject

yenningComity
07-23-2016, 12:55 AM
Hello, spent this evening trying to load my 10mm for the first time.

I was using a lyman 401638. Bullets have been powdercoated, sized to 402. First thing I did was create a dummy round using the Lyman Cast bullet handbook. OAL should be 1.253 according to the book.

Testing the round in a EAA Stock III. The round chambers just fine, but refuses to eject. Only way to get it out is to pull the mag and drop the round through there.

So I started seating the bullet deeper. I had to get it down to 1.200 to get it to eject. Even then it was shaving off a bit of the bullet on each ejection.

Tried creating a dummy round for my other mold Lyman 401043. Set the OAL to 1.260. Round chambers and ejects just fine.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong here? Should I just sell off the 401638 or is there anything I can try to get this to eject? Is this a common issue to run into?

reddog81
07-23-2016, 01:39 AM
I'd be more concerned about how it feeds the rounds and ejects the empty cases. Some gun and bullet combos don't work very well when trying to eject loaded rounds but when shooting all the ejected brass will be empty and the bullet will there to interfer.

runfiverun
07-23-2016, 02:24 AM
it's common.
especially with new guns.
the makers conveniently skip the part where they cut a throat into the barrel.
it works fine with jacketed rounds, not so fine with many boolit designs. [which are not saami specced]

without bothering to look at the designs I'm gonna take a stab at the problem mold being a round nose design and the other one probably a TC nose design or one not coated.
the added thickness of the powder coat [.002ish ? thick] means you have to move things back at least that much further [if not more] to make up the difference.
but yeah it's common to not be able to seat a boolit to some books oal measurement.
the good news is it will save you some powder cause your gonna cut down the start load data even further.

Lloyd Smale
07-23-2016, 05:11 AM
you could be bulging the case when you are reseating if there already crimped. That and most 10s need to have bullets seat very deaply. Ammo for my glock even looks odd with some bullet designs because there seated so deep. Try seating a couple new ones (not the ones your jamming in that have already been crimped) and then crimping in a separate operation.

yenningComity
07-23-2016, 09:53 AM
To answer a few questions. The cases are not bulging with either design. They are both sized to .402 after being powdercoated.

Frankly I am inclined to either shoot them with the starting load at the given oal as not to have to worry about pressure problems. That or scrap them. The only bullets I have shot out of this gun were jhp. They shot just fine, but I never had to clear a loaded one so cannot say if they had the same issue. Can anyone give a reason not to shoot them if they chamber correctly?

Because these are so tedious to cast (single cavity hp mold) and I am just shooting paper I will just end up selling/trading the mold and using the other.

DougGuy
07-23-2016, 05:24 PM
it's common.
especially with new guns.
the makers conveniently skip the part where they cut a throat into the barrel.
it works fine with jacketed rounds, not so fine with many boolit designs. [which are not saami specced]

Agree totally. If you get the barrel throated you can use whatever boolit style you want, PC'd no problem, at whatever COA you choose.

Why they won't eject is the boolit is likely getting jammed into the throat and gets stuck there.

Here is a pic of a throat that will plunk 'em seated out plenty long. Something like this is a real good fix for shooting cast and/or PC boolits, one time fix, fairly inexpensive.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Cylinder%20Services/Glock%20Throating/DSC03870crop768_zpsyfrnqfqf.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Cylinder%20Services/Glock%20Throating/DSC03870crop768_zpsyfrnqfqf.jpg.html)

rking22
07-23-2016, 05:46 PM
Based on the ops, statement quoted below. I think he is having trouble clearing the ejection port with a loaded round, Not extracting the loaded round from the chamber. If that is the case, I would shoot them up and use the other mold so as not to create aggravation unnecessarily. If I am mistaken , ignore the above :)
" Testing the round in a EAA Stock III. The round chambers just fine, but refuses to eject. Only way to get it out is to pull the mag and drop the round through there.

So I started seating the bullet deeper. I had to get it down to 1.200 to get it to eject. Even then it was shaving off a bit of the bullet on each ejection. "

M-Tecs
07-23-2016, 05:52 PM
I've never touched a EAA Stock III so I have no idea of the size of the ejection port. On the small pocket pistols it is common that they will not eject SAAMI spec loaded rounds out of the ejection port. For me the only time I would be concerned about it if it was a competition gun that I had to clear the chamber a lot on.

jimb16
07-23-2016, 08:15 PM
I know that some pistols require the ejection port to be opened up a bit for reliable ejection of certain types of bullets. This might be the problem in this case.

DougGuy
07-23-2016, 08:21 PM
Based on the ops, statement quoted below. I think he is having trouble clearing the ejection port with a loaded round, Not extracting the loaded round from the chamber.

Yeah we could be talking about two different issues, I was following up on runfive's comments.

rking22
07-23-2016, 08:47 PM
Know what you mean, I have a Kahr 45..... Barrel will probably be coming your way sometime soon :)

yenningComity
07-23-2016, 09:24 PM
To clear things up. I am having trouble when the dummy round (case + bullet) are being ejected from the gun. If I load the dummy round into the magazine and rack the slide the gun goes into battery. To be clear, the slide is fully closed. When I rack the slide, the bullet jams at an angle inside the gun. This is only with the lyman devastator hollow-point. The round nose with a longer oal has 0 issues ejecting.

From what I am gathering from those that are focusing on this part of the issue, it is a problem with my barrel's chamber. This is a range toy so I am much happier to leave the barrel alone and sell the mold. I have no real need to use a hp other than someone offered it to me when I was looking for a 40 cal mold.

Thank you for the info guys.

M-Tecs
07-23-2016, 10:25 PM
How often do you need to remove a loaded round from the chamber? Unless you're clearing the chamber in competition I don't see an issue.

Dusty Bannister
07-23-2016, 10:33 PM
I do not think he would be firing a HP style in competition. And in that case, I would make darn sure I could clear a round quickly if it was a dud. Many "range toys" are house guns and I think he will be better off to work with the cartridge combination that functions correctly and is easy to clear if a malfunction should occur. I think he is on the right track and maybe that mold will work better for some other gun.

Bzcraig
07-23-2016, 10:37 PM
Since it passes the plunk test, take it out and shoot it. DougGuy is THE man if you need throat work done. I sent all my barrels he had reamers for to do his magic.

runfiverun
07-24-2016, 12:27 AM
okay I see what's up the round is coming out of the barrel and the ejector is flipping the shorter round against the frame.
the longer round doesn't do it cause it's still inside the barrel that extra little bit until the frame has moved back far enough to line up the ejection port better.
does it do it with a empty case at the same slow speed?
does it clear when you quickly rack the slide to the rear?
I'm kind of thinking the ejector needs to be timed just a bit.

popper
07-24-2016, 12:00 PM
Or the HP cast has a larger meplat and is hitting something. IMHO, load short with a starting load and go for it. Range 'toys' don't need full hose loads in 10mm. How light you can go depends on the powder - some have tiny spread between full and start loads. As normal make sure the bore is clear before the next round.

Greg S
07-24-2016, 12:09 PM
To clarify, it sounds as if the cartridge is chambering and extracting from the barrel and leade just fine but, the OAL is to long and the boolit is hitting the slide because the ejection port is too short in length. This is a common problem with the smaller 1911's, they need a longer ejector to get the timing right and they will not eject a live round without a live round ejection port cut which extends the ejection port forward on the slife about a radial lug.

The are three options, shorter oal, trim back the ejector some to gain clearance on live round extraction or get a live round ejection port cut. The problem with trimming the ejector, is parts availability and the fudge factor between cartridge length and ejector length that is available to be removed based on the stroke length.