PDA

View Full Version : just got my star!!!

radnur22
05-24-2008, 09:34 AM
after watching the video of the star in action i just had to buy one. got one on ebay with both sizing dies i needed for $230. when looking at the manual, back in the day, a complete one sold for $40.

anyway, the sizer had hard lube in it and i am tempted to use hard lube due to the lack of mess compared to 50/50 lubes. i'll be casting .40 s&w and .45 acp. what are your thoughts? too hard of lube for pistol velocities?

GabbyM
05-24-2008, 10:38 AM
You may want to take a look at Lar45's lubes. Link found at bottom of page.

In general hard lube should work in high pressure 40's but in a low pressure 45acp it's better to stick with a softer lube. Of course we all know millions of rounds per year are fired through 45's with hard lube.

I can recommend their BAC lube. It will flow without a heater, work in a 45 and is just a little tacky.
If you still think that's to messy you could try their Carnauba Red. If you don't own a heater try the BAC before you buy a heater. It works better in pistols than hard lube anyway. I think their 2500 lube may be even less sticky but I've not tried it.

I don't have any issues with keeping BAC in the groves until I load the bullets.

I've one of those ebay Stars in the mail right now. Will soon find out how BAC flows through it.

HeavyMetal
05-24-2008, 11:13 AM
lube choice really boils down to how much "mess" you want to deal with. The softer the lube the greater the chance you'll get "oozing" between boolits as you size or have lube come off on your hands or stick to the other boolits as you store them.

I shifted to the hard lubes for storage and handling reasons as well as the fact They don't "run" in high heat level area's like SoCal!

Congrats on the Star purchase by the way. If you've used other sizers once you get the Star set up you'll wonder why you ever waited to buy one.

runfiverun
05-24-2008, 02:44 PM
i use hard lubes in everything
including rifles, and have run up over 2300 with no leading.
but that is all ihave ever used and just work with it.
when i cast i cast 7-8000 boolits at a time lube them and store them, smelt during the summer
and load as much as i shot last year.
like 2-3000 38's 100044's etc..
so sme of my stuff may sit a year or two.

rbwillnj
05-25-2008, 12:42 AM
I use hard lube for everything, including 45 ACP. I get geat accruacy and no leading.....and no mess.