PDA

View Full Version : Toilet

EMC45
05-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Lifted the old commode yesterday and saw that it was sitting on a lead 4 inch pipe about a foot long! The idea to tear it up and melt it down has crossed my mind.

Down South
05-24-2008, 09:39 AM
That will be pure lead. If it were me, I'd sure take it and put it in my pure lead pile.

NSP64
05-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Guy at work(knows I cast) says his brother is redoing his house and removed all the old lead sewer pipe, and asks if I wanted it. I tell him hell yes.

GabbyM
05-24-2008, 10:11 AM
If it does'nt need replaced that's a lot of work for a few dollars worth of lead. By the time you purchases the plastic to replace it you'd about zero sum out or end up in the hole.

Sprue
05-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Don't think that I would do it. The bullets probably wouldn't shoot worth a... (drum roll).... you guessed it ......crap[smilie=w:

~ sorry couldn't resist

Ricochet
05-24-2008, 10:59 AM
A big part of my scrap lead is well used sewer joints. It is a crappy job smelting them down, but the metal's good stuff. Stand upwind when smelting.

Woodsroad
05-24-2008, 06:45 PM
I've tried remelting the lead joints in old cast iron soil pipe. and I don't think that it's worth it. It takes a lot of fuel to melt that lead. Now, if you have a free source of propane.....

Down South
05-24-2008, 09:30 PM
I've tried remelting the lead joints in old cast iron soil pipe. and I don't think that it's worth it. It takes a lot of fuel to melt that lead. Now, if you have a free source of propane.....

I've melted a fair amount of old lead water pipe and sewer pipe through the years and I can't recall any problems doing it. Cleaning some of the dirt off of the outside of the water pipe might cause a problem, maybe. I always just chopped it up and threw it in the pot.

softpoint
05-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Lifted the old commode yesterday and saw that it was sitting on a lead 4 inch pipe about a foot long! The idea to tear it up and melt it down has crossed my mind.

I'd prolly bolt the potty back down , sure is nice to have an an indoor toilet , and search really hard for some wheelweights before I took such desperate measures for some boolit metal:bigsmyl2:

Down South
05-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Woops, I’ve had too many of my favorite beverages today and I didn’t read close enough. Remelting to repair a lead joint to cast iron pipe would be a PITA. If it were me, I’d replace it with PVC and then keep the lead. :drinks:

MT Gianni
05-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Depending on how the lead enters what ever else you have for pipe, rent a cast cutter, cut off below the hub, install a rubber no-hub joint and run PVC up to a new toilet flange.
Take a 4 lb hammer to the hub and break it apart. Flatten the lead and into the lead pot it goes. Gianni

Woodsroad
05-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Ha! I must have a lead-addled brain! Of course, break it up then melt. I was using a torch to heat the joint in hopes that the lead would pour out. Now I have a new motive to replace the rest of the cast iron in the house!

DLCTEX
05-25-2008, 01:14 PM
There is a plastic toilet flange available that has a series of lip seals to seal against the inside of the cast iron pipe and is screwed down to the floor. I hooked by smelter, and my gas grill, to the 500 gal. house tank. Those little tanks are expensive to fill. Those on natural gas could do the same. Cast iron is worth $130 ton salvaged. Dale

EMC45
05-27-2008, 05:18 PM
I bolted the commode down to the floor. I have some pure lead from a buddy who was a plumber. I have quite a bit of WWs too so taking a crap has taken priority!

Rooster
05-28-2008, 10:28 PM
The wisest choice by a long shot! Them holes get mighty small in the middle of the darkest nights, and fergit about #2 :(:-?:-D!!!

carpetman
05-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Guy named Bob Carr buys old houses for the plumbing fixtures and has a place called Honest Carr's used Johns.

MT Gianni
05-29-2008, 12:28 AM
Few things make as good a target as an old toilet on a good tarp. Porcelin erupts, shatters crashes with great visuals. A friend got some from a motel swap out and used his 50 BMG Barrett. More fun than should be legal. Just clean up the mess. Gianni