PDA

View Full Version : IRS Scam Caution and HELP

DCP
07-21-2016, 04:07 PM
IRS Scam Caution and HELP.

I have a widow friend who gave the scam artist a really hard time.
So now they call her 2 or 3 times late night or early morning EVERY NIGHT
She doesn't have call blocking.

I dont think I have ever seen that woman this mad in 16 years.

Any ideas out there?

Outpost75
07-21-2016, 04:11 PM
When the scammer calls dial *57 to capture the metadata for the police, and then IMMEDIATELY after doing so call the police to report the malicious phone call.

Handloader109
07-21-2016, 04:43 PM
May have to get blocking. I'd call phone Co also. (not that it will help) oh, do they stay on the line? Get her an airhorn, blow out an ear.

tja6435
07-21-2016, 04:46 PM
Give us the # they're calling her from so we can spam them all times of the day. Let's give them what they're giving her.

Char-Gar
07-21-2016, 04:52 PM
About a month ago this scam was rampant. It was reported hundreds of times, but it keep up for several weeks, even causing the local paper to run a piece about it. They called me about three times and the wife the same number.

woodbutcher
07-21-2016, 05:00 PM
:twisted: Had problems like that once.Walked out the back door with the phone,and dropped the hammer on a hot loaded .38 spcl.NEVER had another call from that outfit.Hehehe.At least get on the record with a phone call to the phone company,even if they don`t do anything.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

snowwolfe
07-21-2016, 06:08 PM
Tell her to install a $20 answering machine and don't answer the phone. Problem solved.

bdicki
07-21-2016, 06:58 PM
Unplug the phone at night.

bob208
07-21-2016, 08:28 PM
get the answering machine. also answer the phone " sheriffs dept. farad division officer run a muck how may I help you " that has stopped a lot of call backs.

DerekP Houston
07-21-2016, 09:00 PM
Give us the # they're calling her from so we can spam them all times of the day. Let's give them what they're giving her.

Lol that was my thought....I've tried changing my number a few times and just end up with new spam calls or collection calls from the last person who had the number. It is a never ending cycle once you get on the "list"

Unplug the phone at night.

Or that is a good option

GhostHawk
07-21-2016, 09:22 PM
Answering machine and stop answering phone best bet.

Goatwhiskers
07-22-2016, 10:12 AM
Only reason we still have a land line is for internet access, but you still have a phone number. Sales calls and politicians have about dried up, they won't leave a message. The "IRS send us some money" racket only called twice, then quit. GW

opos
07-22-2016, 10:25 AM
We just unplug our phone at night..anyone needs us they can call our cell phones.

mold maker
07-22-2016, 10:32 AM
Someone always finds a way to screw up a convenience.
If the original call was produced by a roto caller there is no way to stop that. This is phone harassment and thus against current laws. Having an answerer will defeat the callers purpose and they'll give up. If you can get the source number, it should be reported if for no other reason than a record of it for the future.
The phone co will help, but there is really little they can do unless charges are filed.

Geezer in NH
07-23-2016, 02:37 PM
DON"T answer the phone let the machine.

Some are so condition they are untrainable to do that

flyingmonkey35
07-23-2016, 03:28 PM
Start the call off with 'this call is being recorded yo prosecute offenders.'

Or call the phone company and use the option that has a pre recorded message stating that telemarketers wi be sued to the full extent of the law if they call you.

Or answer the phone " dominos pizza"

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

johnson1942
07-25-2016, 10:32 AM
i either play the senile old man routine or pretend i speak very very poor english. they dont think its worth it when i go into my routine. its also fun when done right.

SSGOldfart
07-25-2016, 11:40 AM
Hey I am the senile Old Man,just ask my wife......I think that just puts you onto a different list.[smilie=s:

Dusty Bannister
07-25-2016, 12:12 PM
The answering machine has worked well for me. The nice thing about it, you are still in the phone book, and when people are sincerely trying to reach you, they can. I just check the machine a couple of times a day, and clear the numbers occasionally. I probably should put caller ID back in service, but no real need as most times they just give up. The ringer volume is turned down, so by the time you hear the recorder, it is not worth picking up the phone. Makes life so much simpler.

NavyVet1959
07-25-2016, 01:07 PM
I only give out my Google Voice number and forward all calls to it to my cell phone, landline, or whatever. If I start getting spam calls from a number, it's easy enough to block that number on their website.

Anything that comes in directly to my landline is most likely a spam call.

Back around 1990, I had a phone number that was a repeating series of just 2 digits and I started getting harassing phone calls. Mostly from kids who were stupid enough to leave their own phone numbers on the answering machine. So, I would call the number back and play their messages back to their parents. Often I would get a return call from a whimpering kid apologizing for his actions after his parents had taken "corrective action".

Eventually, I just changed the message on my answering machine to be the squealing tone and message that the phone company plays when you dial a number that is not in service.

I eventually moved and did not keep the phone number. Some business eventually acquired it since I see it on their trucks / vans driving around town periodically.

Battis
07-25-2016, 01:17 PM
Do not call back the number that the scammers are calling from - it's most likely a Jamaican number and you'll be charged international call fees.

NavyVet1959
07-25-2016, 01:20 PM
Do not call back the number that the scammers are calling from - it's most likely a Jamaican number and you'll be charged international call fees.

Look at the caller ID and lookup the area code. You shouldn't just blindly callback a number.

dtknowles
07-25-2016, 01:40 PM
When they called me I told them they were lying crooks and I was reporting them. They hung up and did not call back.

Tim

johnson1942
07-25-2016, 05:33 PM
mine were from mexico. the IRS scam ones

Traffer
07-26-2016, 11:37 AM
If I was her I would simply shut the phone off. The greatest thing to come out of the deregulation of telephones is the ability to shut the phone off. I remember when you had to take the receiver off the hook and wrap a towel around it and put it in a drawer...an you could still hear it squealing "hello party, hello party, your phone is off the hook".

southpaw
07-26-2016, 11:29 PM
The wife has a cell phone and I do not. The land line is there for my convenience. If I am close enough when I hear it ring I might answer it. If I am working night shift I sleep upstairs and the phone is down stairs. No problem since I don't hear it. If I answer the phone and it is someone that I do not want to talk to I hang up, simple as that.

I know it was already stated but, I would just unhook the phone or turn the answering service on the first ring with the volume off. Check it at your convenience. As my late aunt told me "the phone is there for YOUR convenience".

Sorry I could not help with how to stop them but this is how I would deal with them.

Jerry Jr.

mold maker
07-27-2016, 08:24 AM
Why is it that the phone never rings till you're in the shower, asleep or unless your mouth is full?
How can a convenience be so inconvenient?
What makes my phone eligible for folks selling something I don't want?
Why do strangers think they are entitled to try putting their money grabbers in my pocket, over MY phone.
What makes the Democrats think I want to send them money or vote for HRC?

Kent Fowler
07-27-2016, 11:25 AM
We were inundated with spam calls so I researched and found a Panasonic cordless that would let you block 250 numbers. So far I've got 142 numbers blocked and things are very quiet around here, now. Best investment I've made in a while, but it's a shame I have to spend money on something that the phone company should be offering for free. On the other hand, I do kind of miss jacking with the " you have virus on computer, you need fix" people.

snowwolfe
07-27-2016, 01:20 PM
Why is it that the phone never rings till you're in the shower, asleep or unless your mouth is full?
How can a convenience be so inconvenient?
What makes my phone eligible for folks selling something I don't want?
Why do strangers think they are entitled to try putting their money grabbers in my pocket, over MY phone.
What makes the Democrats think I want to send them money or vote for HRC?

Just a small matter of changing how you think. In our house the phone is treated as something we need only when the time is right. Otherwise I never let anyone interfere with anything the wife and I are doing. With the exception of our son who gets every call answered:)