PDA

View Full Version : Simple way to attach gas checks???

Old Time Hunter
05-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Does any one have a simple, in the field way to attach gas checks to bullets? It is not convenient to carry a sizer ino the field just to attach the gas checks. Also, I load multiple calibers with one mould, of which only one gets sized (.309) from cast size of .311, therefore I only have one sizer (.309). Don't want to just buy a sizer just for attaching GC's.

NSP64
05-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Why would you need to attach GC's in the field?

Old Time Hunter
05-24-2008, 10:02 AM
I do quite a bit of reloading at the range, around my cabin, and even camping. I carry a Lee hand press with me in a knapsack quite often, along with a pound of powder. Depending on what gun I grab, could be .30-30, .30-40 Krag, .308, .303, 7.62X54R...whatever, but I generally carry a bunch of .312 cast bullets too. I do have a reloading bench and all back home, but it weighs over 1k# and is tough to tote around.

mooman76
05-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Attach the GC's to the bullets at home and carry an assortment with you. Other than that I know some have attached them with glue such as super glue but I can't really comment on details because I have never done it myself! You could posibly get one of the cheap Lee c-presses and use it like a hand press or attach it to one of those Black & Decker work mate folding workbench to use in the field.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
05-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Why not purchase a Lee bullet sizing die. The sizing die and plunger with out the catch tray is no bigger than a nomal loading die, so it shouldn't take up much room. Just use it with your hand press.

Regards,
Everett

MT Gianni
05-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Size and lube the bullets at home. Seal them in a zip-lock baggie in whatever container you have and keep them in a climate that will not allow the lube to melt. Load them wherever you are. Alt 2 is to use the gas check seater by LY and seat checks only. You can do this with your .309 die as the base doesn't enter enough to be sized. Carry the checked boolits with you and finger lube before loading. Gianni

Scrounger
05-24-2008, 12:47 PM
This might just be too simple, but why not carry some plain base bullets and some with gas check already seated. I really suspect, given the unsophisticated equipment used (No powder measure, only one kind of powder,etc), that whether or not the bullet is wearing a gas check or not will have very little to do with the results. Sounds to me like it's one of those "I just want to do it that way" things.