PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolit Weekend 2009

wiljen
05-24-2008, 08:51 AM
I would like a show of hands on those that would be interested in a cast boolit weekend over the Labor day holiday 2009. I am talking to the local club about using it for the weekend. We would have 2 ranges + shotgun and archery available. The area has hotels within a couple miles of the club and a state park with 135 camp sites within minutes. How many of you would come to Kingsport, TN for a chance to put a face with a name?

pumpguy
05-24-2008, 11:39 AM
I was thinking about something like this myself. I think it would be easier if we were a little bit more centrally located, though.

Bob Krack
05-24-2008, 11:44 AM
I would like a show of hands on those that would be interested in a cast boolit weekend over the Labor day holiday 2009. I am talking to the local club about using it for the weekend. We would have 2 ranges + shotgun and archery available. The area has hotels within a couple miles of the club and a state park with 135 camp sites within minutes. How many of you would come to Kingsport, TN for a chance to put a face with a name?

Sounds really interesting, Wil.

As I mentioned to you in chat one time or another, I expect to be in that part of the world late summer. If the trip happens, I will be there. I realize you are not asking anyone to make firm reservations as of right now - which I am not.

More information (both directions) as time passes.

Vic

monadnock#5
05-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Sounds interesting, and it's good to have a years notice. This will require intense, protracted negotiations with my better half.

wiljen
05-24-2008, 12:53 PM
I was thinking about something like this myself. I think it would be easier if we were a little bit more centrally located, though.

Did I hear a volunteer for putting it on in Co?

Scrounger
05-24-2008, 01:11 PM
I'll volunteer Mike in CO... (Just kidding, Mike) The way gas is going up, I don't see anybody committing to a trip for next year when it might reach $10 per gallon and we could be on rationing. Anybody got a motor scooter to trade for a gun? At least I have a big enough lot I could get a horse.

Boerrancher
05-24-2008, 01:58 PM
I would be very interested in a get together. I would have to discuss it with the wife as it is our youngest sons birthday and he would be 4 then. I wonder if he would like a road trip for his birthday?

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

P.S. I had horses, and the Doc says I can't ride anymore because of my back, but I know for a fact that walkin' hurts more than ridin' any day of the week.

Sprue
05-24-2008, 02:30 PM
I'll volunteer Mike in CO... (Just kidding, Mike) The way gas is going up, I don't see anybody committing to a trip for next year when it might reach $10 per gallon and we could be on rationing. Anybody got a motor scooter to trade for a gun?At least I have a big enough lot I could get a horse.

On the other hand, have you considered the price of hay now, additional costs of insurance, feed, vet, horse meds, farrier and time involved in caring for equine?

A horse, no. Cow, Yes. It wouldn't be too comfortable ride but you can eat em.

The scooter sounds better but as of late, its now a scooters market. Lets face it. There no hope.

Lets go back to the days of having 6-10 kids, raising what we eat and rely on hand-me-downs while reading by candle light.

Sounds good to me except I'm shoot'n blanks so ****** wouldn't help :-D

Back on Topic, displaying such an event at Knob Creek sounds interesting. I think it would work there.

HeavyMetal
05-24-2008, 03:13 PM
I had a similar thought the other day, as to a "get together"! Gas price was of course my main concern.

So instead of a single large meet how about several smaller "regional" meets?

Car clubs and Mags do it all the time. For those flush enough to do all, go for it, for the "locals" it would be easier to meet at a central location.

Case in point ( call this an idea) west coast meeting held here in L.A allows family members not interested to go to other entertainment venues like Disneyland or Knott's!

I can't imagine SoCal is to only area with "diverse" entertainment so this could be a good plan for all meets.

What do you think on this idea?

Scrounger
05-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Whatever you do, don't raise sheep unless you want CarpetMan cutting your fences all the time...

10-x
05-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Would be nice to have a get together , how many in S.C., GA., FL would be interested?:drinks:

trooperdan
05-24-2008, 04:02 PM
I'd be in for that!

BTW, Sprue suggested riding a cow instead of a horse, well a buddy of mine made a 3500 trip across the US by mule and wrote a book about it, "To Proud To Ride a Cow"! Here is a link:

http://www.riverearth.com/store/

He also spent five years sailing around the world, interesting guy!

mike in co
05-24-2008, 04:10 PM
I had a similar thought the other day, as to a "get together"! Gas price was of course my main concern.

So instead of a single large meet how about several smaller "regional" meets?

Car clubs and Mags do it all the time. For those flush enough to do all, go for it, for the "locals" it would be easier to meet at a central location.

Case in point ( call this an idea) west coast meeting held here in L.A allows family members not interested to go to other entertainment venues like Disneyland or Knott's!

I can't imagine SoCal is to only area with "diverse" entertainment so this could be a good plan for all meets.

What do you think on this idea?

but ...WHY WOULD ANYONE GO SHOOT IN CA ???
ITS GUN UNFRIENDLY...WHY SPEND A DIME THERE SUPPORTING THE LOCAL ECONOMY ?

ANY WHERE BUT CA.....

KYCaster
05-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Geeeeze, Will. I looked at a map and I don't think I can get there from here. I'd have to get to Knoxville first and start from there. [smilie=1:

I've been trying to get somebody to host one of these on this side of the country for a couple of years. If I can find it I'll be there.

Jerry

mike in co
05-24-2008, 04:17 PM
HECK I GOT NO BIG PROBLEM WITH THAT......EXCEPT I AINT RETIRED YET.
i only shoot at two private clubs,and know the operator of a third, but NONE allow "plinking"..straight target shooting, and ipsc matches,trap skeet, bp, cowboy, nra,. so it would rule out much of the fun shooting. there is open shooting in the national forests, but i have never been or done that...
we would need a large open spot......anyone else in co got a suggestion ?
mike in co

I'll volunteer Mike in CO... (Just kidding, Mike) The way gas is going up, I don't see anybody committing to a trip for next year when it might reach $10 per gallon and we could be on rationing. Anybody got a motor scooter to trade for a gun? At least I have a big enough lot I could get a horse.

wiljen
05-24-2008, 06:19 PM
I kinda figured this might end up the Eastern members shoot as travel is always gonna be an issue and the Left coast already has the Nevada cast shoots and Winnemucca. We needed something on our side of the world.

HeavyMetal
05-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Could certainly go to NV for a shoot! Only reason I suggested SoCal Is the "fixed Price" of the alternate entertainment.

Turning a guys wife and kids Loose in "Lost Wages" while he shoots might be....unpleasent.

wiljen
05-24-2008, 06:37 PM
We have gatlinburg, dollywood (Theme park), the aquarium, Cherokee(gambling), and a few other things all within a couple hours here for those looking for excuses to come :)

kodiak1
05-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Would be interested in doing a CAST DAY.
Ken.

RugerFan
05-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Would be nice to have a get together , how many in S.C., GA., FL would be interested?:drinks:

I kinda figured this might end up the Eastern members shoot as travel is always gonna be an issue and the Left coast already has the Nevada cast shoots and Winnemucca. We needed something on our side of the world.

Good point. I'd be interested in an eastern get together. :Fire:

10-x
05-24-2008, 09:06 PM
All Southern Shooters..........just an idea but how bout a get together at one of the DNR ranges?
There is one outside Waycross and should be others around GA.
FL has a few also, unsure about S.C.?
A few hundred miles to drive wouldnt be so bad ????[smilie=1:
Clean up the RV!:-D
Cast, Size and Load a bunch of boolits!:Fire:

Kraschenbirn
05-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Wiljen...

Sounds darn good to me. Kingsport's an 8-hour drive from here but that's a lot closer than any of the "western" shoots...and fairly central for most of us on this side of the Mississippi.

Bill

wiljen
05-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Wiljen...

Sounds darn good to me. Kingsport's an 8-hour drive from here but that's a lot closer than any of the "western" shoots...and fairly central for most of us on this side of the Mississippi.

Bill

Bring your friends, I'd kinda thought this was about the middle point for the eastern half.

Down South
05-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Sounds interesting. I might be able to attend but I will have to see if I’m scheduled to work that week or not.
I do have four horses and the way fuel prices are going I may have to ride one of em. Of course I’d have to leave home a few days early to get there.

alamogunr
05-24-2008, 10:28 PM
I would give it serious consideration. I live in the western end of Tennessee. Believe it or not it is about 400 miles from here to Kingsport. My wife is giving me warning that we are going on a special trip this fall and all other possibilities are remote. I would like to meet a few of the members of this board. I say "few" not because I wouldn't like to meet all, but recognize that many could not attend.

John
W.TN

pumpguy
05-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Did I hear a volunteer for putting it on in Co?

I would be lucky to have time to attend, let alone organize it. I would help as much as possible if someone else wants to try putting one on in Denver.:-D

Thumbcocker
05-25-2008, 11:52 AM
I really like the concept. i think that regional gatherings are the way to go.

NSP64
05-25-2008, 12:17 PM
I too would like to do a regional cast shoot. There are alot of people on here from So.Ill and St. louis. We(STL shooters) might be able to organize a shoot this year?

mooman76
05-25-2008, 12:23 PM
:mrgreen:They still allow shootin in IL? :kidding:

Larry Gibson
05-25-2008, 01:31 PM
I'd sure like to attend a get together like this. Since we've kids in Florida I could justify it as a trip to visit them.

Larry Gibson

NSP64
05-25-2008, 01:49 PM
:mrgreen:They still allow shootin in IL? :kidding:

We've errected a fence along I-74 and are managing to keep the Craziness north of it. It's a Garlic line designed to keep the bloodsuckers at bay.[smilie=1:

mooman76
05-25-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm planning on moving back to IL some day, hopefully all my guns will be welcome!

RugerFan
05-29-2008, 10:00 PM
All Southern Shooters..........just an idea but how bout a get together at one of the DNR ranges?
There is one outside Waycross and should be others around GA.
FL has a few also, unsure about S.C.?
A few hundred miles to drive wouldnt be so bad ????[smilie=1:
Clean up the RV!:-D
Cast, Size and Load a bunch of boolits!:Fire:

Yup, plenty of WMA ranges in GA. I used to shoot at the Clybel range (SE of Atlanta). It's very nice. A co-worker of mine shoots at a WMA range near Savannah. He speaks highly of it, but I haven't got out there yet.