PDA

View Full Version : Good Samaritan Gives Shirt Off His Back to Homeless Man

Artful
07-20-2016, 01:22 PM
https://gma.yahoo.com/good-samaritan-gives-shirt-off-back-homeless-man-013639440--abc-news-topstories.html

Thousands of homeless people walk the streets of New York City, but that doesn't stop one Good Samaritan from doing what he can for the needy, even if it means literally giving the shirt off his back.
Joey Resto, 23, was taking the downtown "A" train to his home in Brooklyn after work this past Friday when he noticed a homeless man without a shirt shivering from the cold. At the time, temperatures in the city were hovering around 45 degrees, he told ABC News.
"He looked cold, hungry...like he had just gotten beat up," Resto told ABC News today.

Next, the native New Yorker said he did what he "thought was right." Not only did he take the shirt off his back and offer it to the man, he helped him put it on, looping the man's raised hands through the shirt's armholes.

"He looked so weak and frail," Resto told ABC-owned station WABC in New York. "I had to help him, or he would not put it on."
Resto then placed his hat on the man's bruised head and invited him to his family's home to have a warm meal, hot coffee and to offer him more clothes. Although the man accepted Resto's offer, he fell asleep before the train reached his stop.
Little did Resto know, his entire act of kindness was caught on video by a fellow passenger on the subway and was posted to Facebook. It has been shared more than 260,000 times and has garnered more than 300,000 "likes." The video has been viewed more than 13 million times.
"It just came from the heart," Resto said. "I don’t know how anyone could have walked past him and had extra clothing and not given it to him."
Despite giving the man what he could, Resto said he "still felt bad" and wished he could have given him something warmer.
Resto's girlfriend, 24-year-old Yanisleidy Martinez told ABC News that she wasn't surprised that Resto's act of kindness got such good feedback, because he's naturally a "giving" and "caring" person.
"Everyone just gives money," she said. "This time he did something different."
The altruistic couple, who have been dating for more than a year, said they usually offer food or some cash to homeless people, when they can.
"He noticed something was wrong when other people were just staring, and he did something about it," Martinez said of Resto's latest good deed.
Resto said that he tried to wake the man up once the train reached his stop, but he "didn't want to disturb" him. He asks that anyone with information on the man or the person who took the video to contact him so he can treat them to a coffee.

Blackwater
07-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Thanks, Artful. I always enjoy your posts. This one illustrates just how hardened we've become as a culture, especially in the bigger cities. My wife works in a Christian thrift store where they take donations and sell them at very minimal cost. They've become a prime go-to facility for folks in need, and when someone's home gets burned down and they lose everything, they donate whatever they have that will fit the folks involved, and whatever they have to re-supply them in wherever they find to live until they can recover more fully. They also just donate whatever they have for women who are fleeing bad relationships, and all sorts of folks in real need due to loss of job and lack of family to fall back on.

Here in the relatively rural SE Ga., few pass through without getting help pretty readily. It's mostly in the cities, I think, that the homeless and forlorn are ignored as though they weren't there. This, I think, is at least a significant part of the reasons why we've become a nation of two separate cultures, one rural and one urban. That's not entirely true, of course, but there's something of truth in it nevertheless.

Big city churches serve all who'll come to them and ask, but many are so forlorn and feel so much guilt for their plight, that they simply don't ask, and these are the ones that I think usually wind up being like the man with no shirt, shivering in the cold, and unwilling or unable, due to his mindset, to even seek a solution to his plight. It'll always be humbling to see folks in this condition, and it's hard to get them to regain what for many was their former decent existence.

It's all about their mindset, really. And there's nothing like genuine love and respect and empathy that can and will change these people's lives. As we have spent untold millions on our gov't solutions, the homeless problem has persisted and grown. If gov't REALLY cared about them, they'd have been MUCH more effective in dealing with them, I think. God bless folks like this young man, for what he did. So many more, probably richer and more able folks, passed this man by, leaving him to literally freeze to death or suffer brain damage from the simple cold. I think people like this young man matter more than we know or can fully realize. Thanks for the story.

Geezer in NH
07-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Resto then placed his hat on the man's bruised head and invited him to his family's home to have a warm meal, hot coffee and to offer him more clothes. Although the man accepted Resto's offer, he fell asleep before the train reached his stop.

Lucky for the idiot IMHO his family or girlfriend survived by sheer luck