PDA

View Full Version : 243 dia. bullets 6MM Fireforming

unclemikeinct
07-20-2016, 11:32 AM
Hi guys, I'm building a 6MMBR "X" target rifle..I have a 6MMBR norma & I need to fireform some new unfired brass to that size chamber...Can any of you tell me if this will work using cast bullets instead of the 105 Jacketed target bullet I normally shoot ? The reason I ask is to increase the useful accurate life of the barrel..The Improved X chamber loading to get enough fireformed brass can use up to ten Percent of the projected accurate life of this barrel..I really want to avoid using cream of wheat method if I can..Oh I will be happy to pay for the bullets provided...TIA Mike In Ct

Wayne Smith
07-20-2016, 11:59 AM
As long as you use enough powder to fully form the case a cast boolit will work fine. Can't help you with the boolits, though.

runfiverun
07-20-2016, 02:28 PM
I don't cast 6mm either.
most cast loads run in the 40-K pressure area, if that would be enough to fully fire-form your brass or not I dunno.

what's ironic here is I use full jacketed loads to fire-form brass for my cast loads.

Wayne Smith
07-22-2016, 07:30 AM
I have fireformed 9x47R to 10.5x47R with a plug of cotton. Took two attempts, but it worked.