PDA

View Full Version : I lost my best freind last night

bensonwe
07-17-2016, 10:25 AM
I received a call from my ex-wife last night. She was crying and told me there was a fire in her apartment complex and Sam, my cocker/lab dog, was lost to the smoke. She said the fire men tried to save him but were unable. He loved to ride with me to the woods and chase sticks. That's all he ever asked from me was to play. Second time ive felt pain like this. first was a small cocker I had for 14 years. lost her to cancer. Don't know if I can handle the pain from saying good bye to a friend again.

Ithaca Gunner
07-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Ben there's not much I can say that'll lessen the pain, the bond between man and dog is a strong one and when they leave us, it's one of life's pure tragedies. Too many members here have lost their best pal lately, but please don't say, "I'll never have a dog again, the pain of loosing them is more than I can bear." When you're ready think about adopting an unloved dog, it's the only thing I know of to help heal the pain.

thegatman
07-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Sorry for your loss. Grieve than get a new homeless pup. You need a new friend and a new friend needs you.

brstevns
07-17-2016, 10:46 AM
My prayers are with you.

LUCKYDAWG13
07-17-2016, 11:40 AM
Sorry for your loss. Grieve than get a new homeless pup. You need a new friend and a new friend needs you.
I felt your pain 9 years ago when we had a house fire we lost our two Labs but their was a void in all of our lives we went to a shelter and gave a pup a new home and joy back in our life I will all ways miss our lost Labs but i know that they will be just inside the gate waiting for us Time will help

OS OK
07-17-2016, 11:49 AM
Too dang much of this reported lately...it pains my heart and I certainly feel and share yours. I've said the same thing every time I've lost one..."can't bear this again!"...but, it isn't too long and there's another 'jailbird' filling his pawprints. The local dog pound is full and waiting.
They can't ever replace the one that's past...but, they bring a new joy of immeasurable love and excel in companionship...each in his own special way...never had a dog that wasn't special.

May your tears ebb with the tide and let your heart mend...OS OK

robg
07-17-2016, 11:55 AM
Awful ,I know how you feel

Blackwater
07-17-2016, 03:57 PM
You can handle it, Benson. It's just one of the sadder and most hurtful things we have to endure along this pathway. The hardest part about having good dogs or people in our lives is when we finally lose them .... IF it's not us who are lost along the way! All our days are numbered, even our dogs. I lost my beloved Llewellyn setter not long ago. Lost her suddenly, with no warning. I know what you're going through. We never forget the great ones. And if we're lucky, we get one truly great one in a lifetime. I've had 5 now, so I'm abundantly blessed! But you'll get through it because that's what your dog would want you to do, and we cannot not honor our dogs' demands, if we're truly devoted to them like they so obviously are to us.

Paul Harvey once held a contest to see who could opine about their most important verse in the Bible. No big prize, just a contest for those interested enough to participate. The "winner" was an old widow lady from I think it was the midwest, who said that in her time, the most important verse in her experience had been, "And this too shall pass." And I think she hit the nail on the head for all of us there. Whenever we're in our sorrows, and they DO come to all of us, this is the verse that tends to reassure and steady us like no other. Maybe it'll help you through it at least a bit?

44man
07-17-2016, 06:30 PM
I get tired of the pain and tears. But I am crying.
What I hate is someone that loses the love. I had a board meeting today and took my little one out first. She hasn't pooped in two days so I was worried. I came home and she would not come down the basement. I found two big piles. For me it is relief and I can't get angry at her. After I cleaned up, she came down and is under my seat, snoring. Some would beat or kick her but I would as soon shoot your butt.
My dog is my baby and is treated like one. To lose one like her would never have the pain go away.
You will own many dogs but each will never be the same and we will never forget or get over any of them.
My worry is how to find another like her.

bayjoe
07-17-2016, 06:47 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss.

bensonwe
07-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Thanks to all who replied. yes, sam was a great dog. he and I would play for hours as he would chase sticks and his favorite tennis balls. he was deathly afraid of thunder and I would hold him whenever it came. even at 3am and I had to be up in 2 hours. I was told he didn't suffer, smoke put him to sleep quickly. that I'm greatful for. he didn't burn either, he was found in his closet where he slept. that is why the firemen tried to revive him. This will take some time to recover from and I know that "this too shall pass". But right now I'm grieving for sam. he had a lot more to give us humans and he was robbed of that. Again, thanks all for the support.

44man
07-17-2016, 07:20 PM
I will send hugs, all I can do. Also prayers that you will be united some day. A mans best friend is a dog. Spelled backwards it is GOD.
No human will ever be as a dog in your life. I am so sorry for your loss.

shoot-n-lead
07-17-2016, 07:34 PM
Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Prayer sent.

odinohi
07-17-2016, 07:53 PM
So sorry for your loss!

trapper9260
07-17-2016, 08:33 PM
Sorry for your loss.I know how it is also but not to the way you loss yours. But sorry to hear.

buckwheatpaul
07-17-2016, 09:32 PM
On this site...the majority of dog owners consider their dogs as family....because they are.....I have a schnauzer that is sooooo spoiled that I tell people: "She is USDA useless!" but she goes most places with me....in our 40 years of marriage we have lost a number of our puppy children and each one breaks our heart....but seems like God sends us a new one and we believe in Rainbow Bridge where all of our pups will be waiting for us.....

Brother, I am so sorry that you lost your best friend....but it will get better with time and they will be waiting for you down the road....just believe!

yancey
07-17-2016, 10:25 PM
So sorry for your loss. Been in the same shoes not long ago.

Lloyd Smale
07-18-2016, 06:02 AM
its been two weeks for me and I still tear up a couple times a day when I do or see something that reminds me of my best friend. I totally understand what your going through and wouldn't wish it on ANYONE! This dog was more of a son to me then a best friend. I pray yours didn't suffer to much and the smoke took him fast.
I received a call from my ex-wife last night. She was crying and told me there was a fire in her apartment complex and Sam, my cocker/lab dog, was lost to the smoke. She said the fire men tried to save him but were unable. He loved to ride with me to the woods and chase sticks. That's all he ever asked from me was to play. Second time ive felt pain like this. first was a small cocker I had for 14 years. lost her to cancer. Don't know if I can handle the pain from saying good bye to a friend again.

w5pv
07-18-2016, 08:51 AM
Sorry for the lost,get yourself another pet, the pain will never go away but it will help to have another pet.

Freightman
07-18-2016, 11:13 AM
Lost my Dachshund, the one in the avatar it was not fun couldn't afford another as they are really expensive. Saw a add in crags list for a Shiweenee 1/2 Shiatsu !/2 Dachshund went and got her, wow she has the best of both worlds she is 10# of dynamite, and the funnest dog I have ever had and I have had a lot of dogs. Didn't forget my Dachshund but she helps fill the void. She looks like a Ewok like on the star wars movie The Empire strikes back. she is long and low like a Dachshund and has a beard and mu stash Get another it helps. It hurts to lose the most loyal friend you will ever have but give another the love you have it will help.

9w1911
07-18-2016, 01:23 PM
I cannot agree more. I suggest doing it asap, having a new friend who needs walks and love etc can help take your mind off. They say I know youre sad but I still need a walk!

GhostHawk
07-18-2016, 10:27 PM
I feel your pain!

In time the pain will ease, and fade, seems hard to believe now I know.
Eventually you will remember only the joy, the good times.

bensonwe
07-19-2016, 01:10 PM
Thanks again for all the support. I never met any of you but would be honored to buy each one of you a beer. Thanks

44man
07-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Thanks again for all the support. I never met any of you but would be honored to buy each one of you a beer. Thanks
NO, not allowed. We would hug you and buy you a beer and I would make beer for you.
My honor is knowing you. But please get another dog. A man is not compete without. A tiny little rug rat or a monster.

Blackwater
07-20-2016, 02:07 PM
Benson, the hardest part of being so richly blessed as to have good people and good dogs in this life is when we have to lose them. We forget to thank God for the blessings they gave us, and just mourn their loss. Many, in thinking they'll never again know a love like that of a close friend or mate or good dog again, are too easily depressed that they can't have them forever, and simply go into a blue funk. The best and wisest thing to do, amid the inevitable and understandable mourning, is to simply start over again as soon as you can. I had a cousin whose wife was his high school sweetheart, and they did everything together and had a ball in this life. When he died in an unimaginable boating accident, she couldn't deal with the loss, and for years, was a real basket case. She's sweet, but was always spoiled, and he made sure she stayed that way. She loved being spoiled, but when it came to an end, she literally didn't know how to handle it. She's much better now, though. Maturity comes to us all, one way or another.

I've always thought that for a man to have one, truly "GREAT" dog was a blessing from Heaven. I've had five. What I did to deserve so many truly great ones, I'll never know, and can't imagine I was worthy of this many, but that's the count for me, and it's only the REALLY great ones. Some say dogs don't have souls, and can't therefore go to Heaven, but maybe, the love they give us lives on within us, and they get to Heaven through us? I don't know and don't claim to. Others say they'll be there for us one day. I have no real idea which it is, but I can't believe for the life of me that we won't meet again, somehow or another. Dogs are proof that God really loves us. He gave them to us so we'd know what truly unconditional love really looks like. And it's amazing, but that kind of thing just can't disappear, I don't believe. I think it's eternal. I just don't know how it all works. But faith is what love and God are all about, and the simple faith that God has it all worked out for us is enough for me. Dogs are some of our greatest "people."

Lloyd Smale
07-20-2016, 03:38 PM
I'm feeling that more and more every day. My life is just empty without a dog. I thought id never get another after this great one but I'm thinking a bit now.
NO, not allowed. We would hug you and buy you a beer and I would make beer for you.
My honor is knowing you. But please get another dog. A man is not compete without. A tiny little rug rat or a monster.

KnotRight
07-29-2016, 10:13 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog (best friend). I know your feels. I on the 14th of this month I had to put down my Beagle. That dog went with me everywhere I went. Again, sorry to hear about your friend.