PDA

View Full Version : Holbrook device for Garands

shooter93
07-16-2016, 07:43 PM
I'm posting this here because I'm not sure how many people check out equipment reviews. Garands are great fun and despite all the AR stuff out there I would not feel out gunned if it was my battle rifle. And most everyone who owns one knows about the famous "Garand thumb" It's not all that hard to manage one but one slip up and you'll know what I mean....lol. Well....after over 50 years working construction and having pretty severe Arthritis I found at times I was better off holding the bolt back with my left hand while I inserted the enbloc clip.

Awhile ago I came across a device called the Holbrook device developed by Mr. Holbrook. It slips into the rifle in about two minutes and doesn't permanently change the rifle....you can restore it to original in two minutes. What the device does is to lock the bolt back after the last round is fired. The you manually eject the enbloc. Then ram a new one home and pull back on the bolt and release it. No danger of your thumb being whacked. It works very well and really doesn't slow things down a bit. I like it and like I mentioned if you're plagued by nasty Arthritis you may want to take a look at getting one.

M-Tecs
07-16-2016, 07:55 PM
http://www.m1thumbsaver.com/

Alstep
07-16-2016, 08:00 PM
I've been shooting an M-1 for 50+ years and never heard of this. So I looked it up. Quite an ingenious invention and looks like it serves it's intended purpose well.

SP5315
07-16-2016, 08:25 PM
I've been shooting M-1's for 30+ years and never ever had a case of M-1 thumb.

Artful
07-16-2016, 11:16 PM
I haven't either but one of my shooting bud's did it and it's something to see a grown man cry holding his rifle out to you like a little kid with a booboo.

Frank46
07-16-2016, 11:34 PM
Back when I was in the USN one of the shipmates I knew in my division was on the Marine Landing Party. Came back from some training with his thumb all bandaged up. Seems he didn't exactly coordinate his movements correctly when loading the M1 Garand. Frank

M-Tecs
07-16-2016, 11:40 PM
Never got bit by a Garand but I did get nailed by an malfunctioning M14 when I single loaded a round into the mag.

smokeywolf
07-17-2016, 03:16 AM
Don't know when Holbrook supposedly invented the "Holbrook Device", but my dad modified a OP rod catch in the same way back in the late 1950s. He didn't like the en-bloc clip being jettisoned into the brush or dirt after the last round was fired.

Rustyleee
07-17-2016, 05:56 AM
Sounds like an answer in search of a question.

But then I never had the problem.

Ithaca Gunner
07-17-2016, 10:48 AM
I've been shooting M-1's for almost 40 years and have been "bit" once, entirely my own stupid fault too. Seems to me this device was invented by a democrat as it takes a fully functional combat rifle and turns it into something all but useless for morons who don't follow instruction.

LUCKYDAWG13
07-17-2016, 11:24 AM
had it happen to me i was looking at a Garand in the cabelas gun library Rifle was put back on the rack with bolt back my thumb just went into the mag well when I went to take it off the top rack 172421

C.F.Plinker
07-17-2016, 11:27 AM
I've been bit twice -- guess I'm a slow learner. My Garand throws the empty brass forward and mostly to the right. However, it throws the clip directly to the right. Almost all of my shooting is at a range so I installed a Holbrook device to keep from throwing the clip at the shooter in the next lane. YMMV.

Elkins45
07-18-2016, 07:23 PM
I've been shooting M-1's for almost 40 years and have been "bit" once, entirely my own stupid fault too. Seems to me this device was invented by a democrat as it takes a fully functional combat rifle and turns it into something all but useless for morons who don't follow instruction.

Not everyone is engaged in combat. Even more of a shock: other people have different opinions.

Having said that, I'm not going to pay $65 for one. I would just remove the clip ejector spring and wear a leather glove when loading.

Geezer in NH
07-18-2016, 08:43 PM
Must remember to walk and chew gum.

When you can do that you to can load a Garand.

smokeywolf
07-19-2016, 02:03 AM
I think probably the biggest advantage to the modded OP rod catch is that it prevents your clips from going TWANG and disappearing into the brush or getting covered in dirt or whatever else can be found on the ground in the woods.

Ithaca Gunner
07-19-2016, 01:12 PM
I think probably the biggest advantage to the modded OP rod catch is that it prevents your clips from going TWANG and disappearing into the brush or getting covered in dirt or whatever else can be found on the ground in the woods.

Now that's a sensible reason.

Freightman
07-19-2016, 01:24 PM
Grand thumb is minor beside a Hakim thumb.:x

Ithaca Gunner
07-19-2016, 01:39 PM
So I've heard...YIKES!

shooter93
07-19-2016, 06:20 PM
I was never hit but as I mentioned there are a number of reasons for using one. Hopefully you are never stricken with severe Arthritis and some types can be downright crippling. If this device allows the person to continue enjoying his hobby then it's good for them. Others posted other very good reasons for using one. The concept has been around for years...Mr. Garand and Springfield armory entertained similar ideas. Holbrook just came up with a very quick fix that won't alter a gun. Hardly a reason to call people whom you have no knowledge of all "morons" but I've come to expect those replies from young know it alls at this site. having never learned to use one I have no idea how you can acertain that it turns the gun into an all but useless firearm. I have used one and serious doubt it's slower or very little slower than not having one. Some people though can only learn one way and thinking outside the box or learning something new is impossible for them but that is a whole different subject.

walltube
07-20-2016, 01:41 AM
shooter93,

Thank you for the kind reminder of the Holbrook device. A marvelous thing for those shooters who are limited by stroke yet able to continue their pleasure with the Garand because of the Holbrook . And as you say, crippling arthritis too. Some folks are robbed of physical dexterity by no fault of their own. Have any detractors here witnessed a man in the early throes of Parkinsons fire and reload the external Garand magazine thanks to the Holbrook? I have and his determination brought tears to my eyes. Stalwarts they are, at the bench perforating paper or knocking down a distant steel target. Ya know, bang....clang. Pure joy. Thank you Mr.Holbrook.

With Kind Regards to you shooter93. To you "chew gum and BS'ers, break a leg!

Harold Leaming

M-Tecs
07-20-2016, 03:01 AM
Dang the above two posts knocked it out of the park.

shooter93
07-20-2016, 07:42 PM
Thank you walltube and also M-Tecs and Artfull....as always the gentleman as well as others who understand the post. just a small rant on my part about the seemingly lack of civility that seems to be growing at this site. A simple innocuous post that I thought might make life and shooting for some people less unfortunate to be blessed with perfect health. It's not for everyone but IS useful for some. If you don't like the idea....fine....but it certainly doesn't call for name calling and berating those who find it useful.