PDA

View Full Version : Master Caster adjustments

wlkjr
07-16-2016, 02:28 PM
I have been struggling for the last 3 hours trying to get my Master Caster adjusted. During my last cast a couple of weeks ago, the .380 boolits started having a slight vertical indentation on one side where the mold joins the two sides. I thought it was something with the mold which is a Magma mold. So I removed it and installed a 147gr grooveless mold from Accurate. It is doing the same thing, kinda like the mold is twisted. I have tried every kind of adjustment I know of but still get that little indentation. If I run it through the sizing die I can still see it. Anyone else with a MC ever have that problem?

ReloaderFred
07-16-2016, 03:08 PM
I haven't had that problem, but since you mentioned twisted, the only thing that comes to mind is the guide rails. See if they're adjusted symmetrically and parallel to each other. I normally just make sure there aren't any flecks of lead on the mold faces and adjust the guides to where they just barely touch the mounts when the machine is hot.

I'm sure you've noticed that the adjustments will change as the pot and molds heat up, which is why I do my adjusting with the whole apparatus up to casting temperature. It's a little more inconvenient to work with while hot, but the adjustments don't change during the casting session.

Hope this helps.

Fred

wlkjr
07-16-2016, 03:15 PM
I do suspect the guide rails but not sure how exactly to get them adjusted.

ReloaderFred
07-16-2016, 03:20 PM
They have opposing locknuts, so you loosen one side and tighten the other to move them. It doesn't take much at all to move them. If the mold is rubbing the rails, but not binding, then maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the outside nut will be enough to loosen it up, yet still guide them. Most times, the return spring (the long heavy spring at the bottom of the mounting arms) has enough tension to hold the two halves of the mold together.

Hope this helps.

Fred

wlkjr
07-16-2016, 06:15 PM
The mold seems to be coming apart at a weird angle causing one side to scrape the boolit instead of pushing out straight. Guess I'll have to give Magma a call next week.

runfiverun
07-19-2016, 08:46 PM
I always lined the left side up and made sure it was straight by measuring from the right side of the frame.
once I got that lined out I adjusted the right side to just touch leaving a little room for expansion.

if you feel the mold hitching or catching along the way your crooked.
if the mold is twisting you got the left side too far open and the sprue cutter is twisting the mold as it cuts the sprue.
once you get everything adjusted straight you'll feel the handle just glide up and down on the lubricant, with almost no drag whatsoever.