PDA

View Full Version : Movie: "The Longest Ride" (2015) w/Clint Eastwood Son = VERY Good!

DougGuy
07-16-2016, 12:21 AM
In fact, it is REALLY GOOD! Scott Eastwood plays a professional bull rider obsessed with becoming a world champion, who meets a *very* cute college art major (played by Britt Robertson) whose lives become intertwined with the story of an elderly WWII vet (Alan Alda) that they save from a burning vehicle after a crash, and the woman he loved from the moment he laid eyes on her.

At first, the plot is almost guessable, but then the passionate reflections of the old gentleman and the lifetime of love letters he cherished start to tell a story that eclipses the entire plot, and maybe even life itself. If you like a really well written and delivered story, you'll no doubt love this one. The viewer is enthralled by a love story that goes well beyond what mere words are capable of defining.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2726560/

William Yanda
07-16-2016, 07:11 AM
I was with you til you said Alan Alda. Some how I just can't get excited about flaming liberals, even old wrinkled flaming liberals. Think I might try to persuade the wife to go to America, just out.

Blackwater
07-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Thanks, Doug. Alda as a WWII vet just doesn't quite ring quite "right," but then, WWII was fought by ALL types, so maybe it's more legit than we'd at first imagine? I'll probably see this one. Been a good while since I've been to the cine, and I kind'a miss it, as long as there's something worth watching on the screen.

Eastwood, Sr. impressed me by owning a bar and serving some drinks himself, whenever he could. He's spent his life, it seems, relishing whatever opportunities that were offered to him, and dealing with them intelligently. He seems to have, for the most part, been pretty "mild instead of wild" in a town where temptations of all sorts are a daily gauntlet. He HAD to have had some pretty good values to get through it all the way he did, and to achieve what he's achieved. I respect the man, and apples don't usually fall too far from the tree.

Thanks for the ref.

DougGuy
07-16-2016, 01:56 PM
Alda doesn't really play a major part, but his story in this film supersedes his parts.

Clint never gave his kids nothing. He made them work for what they have. His son's first car was some second hand Crown Vic that he bought with his own money. If only we could get a PIMPLE on his dad's butt to take up residence in the WH, we would have something worth talking about.

jonp
07-17-2016, 01:15 PM
alan alda as a vet from any conflict makes me want to throw up in my mouth. it may be a great movie but i wont pay for anything that would give him a dime

richhodg66
07-18-2016, 12:33 AM
This is a pretty good movie. Alan Alda's politics aside, he does a pretty good job in this one. I never liked him in anything when he was younger, didn't care for MASH when it was on and watched a rerun of it on MeTV a while back and time hasn't been kind to that show or his character, but he did a decent job in this role.

Has Clint's son done anything else of note? He doesn't resemble his dad much, I'd have never known he was his son if I hadn't been told.