PDA

View Full Version : loading lead bullets for 8x56R

pakmc
07-15-2016, 02:24 PM
I found on the forum about using Trail boss powder with lead bullets. I tried it today. I filled the case up to the bottom of the bullet (8x56R case) and it was about 17.5 gr's of TB. .70% of that is 12.8.. so I used 13 and 14gr's of TB. with a 215gr bullet. all shooting was done at 25yards. I was impressed with the accuracy of this load
I was shooting a rifle and a carbine I was getting one hole groups with the rifle and getting pretty good groups with the carbine till the front lens of my scout mount scope fell off. I miked both barrels and they miked at .327. and yes, I have another carbine that mikes at .332. and there was very little blow back,
I also read the book(which I happened to have and never read till now) Modern reloading by Richard Lee. very good book and quite interesting for someone like me. it was talking about using H-4895 in reducted loads. I tried them this morning also. same case, primer and bullets, 23gr's of H-4895 was ok, but my rifle liked 24 gr's better and a friend shooting my rifle liked the 25gr' loading. but there was a lot of spit back with these loads. I didn't get to try my 15-16gr's loads of red dot this time, but someone was saying 13 is a max load.I'll redo them soon. and yes, all shooting was done off a bench rest at 25 yards. next time I''ll try 50 yards.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-16-2016, 03:47 PM
Thanks for sharing your loads and shooting experience for the 8x56R mm. There's lots of archived information about the 8x56 if you do a "search".
You are fortunate to have two bores with such tight measurements. They were supposed to be .329". I've got 5 of them and the tightest is .332 and the worst is .336. I've never enjoyed too much success with them, but have to admit that I shelved the project after a couple of those "where did it go?" experiences. One of the Moderators here, Buckshot, seems to have gotten a good handle on the 8x56, and you might look for some of his past posts on the subject. Keep us posted about your progress.
DG

fivefang
07-16-2016, 04:03 PM
Herr Gebirgsjager, I use the Lee.338mold for my stutzen, I was impresd, I do size them in a Saeco .338 die

Der Gebirgsjager
07-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Sounds like a great tip, fivefang. I really like these rifles and their unusual design.

pakmc
07-20-2016, 05:39 PM
I've up to five of the guns now. two rifles and three carbines. both the rifles and one carbine have bores of .327, one carbine is .334 and another has .337. now i"m thinking of getting the Lee .338 mould . I have the Lee .334 sizer, I'll have to get a .338 sizer then. (Dennis at empire arms says that he still has a few Carbines with .329 barrels), I ordered one. Its in lake Charles La. the last time I looked(i'm just north of Galveston).
I shot both rifles today with 13, 14, and 15 gr's of Trail boss. I was very happy with the results. with iron sights I was getting about an inch group at 25 yards.(I can barely see 50 yard targets any more), and I tried some loads with 38 gr's of H-335. they where kinda stout! the accuracyi wasn't inpressive. but 24-25 gr's of H-4895 will give you a pretty good group but there's a lot of spit back.(the TB loads have no spit back) Red dot works pretty good too, but my guns think 13gr's is pretty light. my guns like 14-16gr's of RD best. my new scout mount scope is here with two 2x7x32 long eye relief scopes, and one red dot to play with, these are cheap scopes but I had one for about 7-8 years and the front lens fell off, they replaced it free,(it came in the mail today.) H-4198 works pretty good also. i"m thinking of trying a reduced load of 231?(it's slower than red dot!)and one have any throughts about using 231?