PDA

View Full Version : Handle fit?

S.B.
05-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Will Lee six cavity mold handles fit a RCBS two cavity mold?

Maineboy
05-24-2008, 02:33 AM
Will Lee six cavity mold handles fit a RCBS two cavity mold?

Sometimes! My first RCBS mold was a 30-180-SP and my Lee 6 cavity handles fit them, but when I bought my 30-180-FN mold, the handles were too thick until I filed them down a few thousandths.

S.B.
05-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Maineboy, what your experience with Lee six cavity molds, I'm have too much trouble getting good bullets out of one I just bought? I have followed all the advice here but, still no luck. I sent it back to the factory and they seem to get excellent bullets out of this thing but, mine aren't. I must be doing something wrong? I've been casting with Lyman molds for around 30 years and get good bullets out of them? I must be missing something?

Down South
05-24-2008, 09:48 AM
I don't know if the handles will fit or not. I bet they could be made to fit pretty easy.

I've got 4 sets of Lee 6-cavity moulds. I have to run my pot temp around 800 deg to get good boolits. Once the mould starts getting hot I can back my pot temp down some. But I'm new to this so I'm still experimenting with the moulds and temps.

mooman76
05-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Need more details to the problem you are having before we could give advice on fixing!

S.B.
05-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Down South, I've went through 30lbs. of alloy with the reostat set as high as possible and have yet to get some good bullets? Even tried heating the mold in the alloy before starting to cast? As I said before I've tried to pay close attention to the advice given on this site but, nothing seems to work for me?
Steve

Down South
05-24-2008, 01:11 PM
S.B. I ain’t no expert but some of the questions you will get are.

1. Did you prep the mould? If you followed instructions here then I’m sure you did.
2. This question should probably have been No.1 but what exactly is wrong with the boolits you are casting? Are they wrinkled, poor fill out, Undersized?
3. Do you actually know what your pot temp is? A lead thermometer will be needed for this or at least a thermometer that goes to 1000 deg.
4. What is your alloy? Pure lead? WW?

Temperature increase will help with both wrinkled and poor fill out. A little tin added will help with fill out too.

The factory would be using Lyman #2 Alloy when they tested your mould.

It would probably be best to start a new thread on this and give a detailed explanation of the problem you are having.

S.B.
05-24-2008, 08:07 PM
S.B. I ain’t no expert but some of the questions you will get are.

1. Did you prep the mould? If you followed instructions here then I’m sure you did.
2. This question should probably have been No.1 but what exactly is wrong with the boolits you are casting? Are they wrinkled, poor fill out, Undersized?
3. Do you actually know what your pot temp is? A lead thermometer will be needed for this or at least a thermometer that goes to 1000 deg.
4. What is your alloy? Pure lead? WW?

Temperature increase will help with both wrinkled and poor fill out. A little tin added will help with fill out too.

The factory would be using Lyman #2 Alloy when they tested your mould.

It would probably be best to start a new thread on this and give a detailed explanation of the problem you are having.

Yes, I prepped the mold.
Poor fillout and the gascheck are too big for the base.
Have went through 30# of alloy now and the mold has never shown signs of warming up. My lyman molds work good with this furnace?
Pure WW.