PDA

View Full Version : Ok I'm in :)

eddahenry
07-15-2016, 08:38 AM
Hi guys and girls
Edda here form Perth Western Australia
after much research I have decided to dive into this casting thang , pretty much just to increase the amount I can shoot per month as before I moved to Perth my shooting skills had some what plateau .
so I was reading that I needed wheel weights so today at lunch time I hit up 2 tyre places near work and come up with his lot , pretty much a full 20lt bucket , and was told too come back every 2 weeks and take the Lot for a couple of Friday arvo coldies :) nice.
so im in the process of separating the soft sick on , the harder clip on and the zinc and other junk tonight
and when my moulds turn up next week I'll try my hand at casting some ingots
thanks for all he info on the forum and hopefully I will come of some use to someone

tazman
07-15-2016, 08:46 AM
Welcome to the habit. I hope you find it as useful as the rest of us do.

pipehand
07-15-2016, 08:50 AM
Howdy eddahenry. Glad you have a reliable source of boolit ingredients. It is getting harder and harder to find here on the other side of the planet. I'm sure you'll enjoy the new hobby.

1989toddm
07-15-2016, 08:53 AM
Welcome, Edda! Like Pipehenry said, lead weights are hard to find most places in the US. Casting is a great pastime, useful, and you save money! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoked turkey
07-15-2016, 09:17 AM
Also a big welcome from here Edda. Sounds like you are off and running. You have possibly read many of the "stickies" at the top of the page on many of the topics that are sure to be of interest to you. I have also found the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook to be very useful for the occasional question I have. Keep gathering those wheel weights. Great find.

DerekP Houston
07-15-2016, 09:21 AM
Wow what a score for a tire shop! Most around here have wised up and want you to pay them for the disposal ;).

What will you be casting for? This will determine what type alloy/blend you want to aim for and give everyone a bit more information for suggestions.

Welcome to the crazy forum......we ain't all crazy, but it helps if you are a bit touched :kidding:

eddahenry
07-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Hi guys
will be 357 Mag to feed the S&W and the Rossi lever gun :)
yeh after reading all the stuff about WW hear I was like oh this is going to be hard ,
walked into the first shop ,, hi guys I was wondering if you could spare me some old used WW ,,
yep just over there take the lot ,, I was like wow
than had the same thing at the 2nd place ,
than I asked
don't the metal recyclers pay you for them ,,,, nope they don't want the mixed metal was the answer , so you can bet I will be driving around every Friday filling up and making ingots , got to get it while the gettings good

DerekP Houston
07-15-2016, 09:46 AM
Hi guys
will be 357 Mag to feed the S&W and the Rossi lever gun :)
yeh after reading all the stuff about WW hear I was like oh this is going to be hard ,
walked into the first shop ,, hi guys I was wondering if you could spare me some old used WW ,,
yep just over there take the lot ,, I was like wow
than had the same thing at the 2nd place ,
than I asked
don't the metal recyclers pay you for them ,,,, nope they don't want the mixed metal was the answer , so you can bet I will be driving around every Friday filling up and making ingots , got to get it while the gettings good

WW are just tough to find in the U.S.A. now due to silly regulations pushed in coastal states. I can understand their line of thought just don't agree. yes the recyclers here pay them for the lead etc...but it is pennies on the dollar compared to what they ask for.

Glad to hear AU hasn't suffered from it, my understanding is you guys are the MacGuyvers of down under anyways and will find a way.

For 357 light loads (and I'm guessing hitek coated) to medium loads, WW or range scrap have done me well. My rossi likes the longer 357 brass and a round nose design to feed smoothest. I just bumped the charge down a bit and away it goes.

MrWolf
07-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Congrats on your lead score and welcome to the madness. Great place here with a tremendous amount of knowledge.

Walter Laich
07-15-2016, 09:54 AM
"back in the day" I would drop off a 6-pack now and then to keep the guys happy at the tire shops. Sorta like priming the pump.
Welcome and be sure to ask questions here. There's always something to learn like use handles on molds, don't just the mold blocks in your hands while pouring lead :wink:

Walter Laich
07-15-2016, 09:56 AM
any chance you're playing cowboy action shooting? with those guns you have you would fit right in

reddog81
07-15-2016, 11:16 AM
Nice score. You'll have to let us know what % are lead vs other materials. My Dad has a connection with a shop that does Semi tires along with cars and about 66% are lead with the rest being Zinc or Steel.

lightman
07-15-2016, 01:22 PM
Welcome Aboard Mate! Nice Score on the weights. Be sure to post up some pictures when you start melting and casting. Welcome to the madness!

Pine Baron
07-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Welcome eddahenry,
You are in for a real good time here. If I might recommend:http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm. A little long read, but well worth it. Be safe!

gwpercle
07-15-2016, 04:06 PM
G'day Eddahenry , welcome to the addiction from Louisiana. Nice to have you aboard.
I started with WW's and a 357 magnum myself. A 1970 three screw Ruger Blackhawk .
Casting some for it now , going shooting too.
Gary

wiljen
07-15-2016, 07:02 PM
Welcome to casting, sorry about your wallet.

quilbilly
07-15-2016, 07:29 PM
Welcome to our happy addiction, mate. Always wanted to visit Perth so maybe someday we might meet.

eddahenry
07-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Welcome to our happy addiction, mate. Always wanted to visit Perth so maybe someday we might meet.
Perth is great mate , I've only live here a little time but I love it ,,, not to mention it's located in the 2nd largest state in the world a whopping 2.6 million klm squared and with 13000 klm of coast line there's plenty of beaches :)

WFO2
07-15-2016, 11:36 PM
Good to meet you welcome .Sounds like your off to a good start with your lead stash .

Old Scribe
07-16-2016, 01:03 AM
Welcome aboard from the State of Jefferson (the REAL northern California ). Good stuff here with good people.

w5pv
07-16-2016, 09:03 AM
Hi,Good to meet you

murf205
07-16-2016, 10:53 AM
Welcome brother. You are gonna' love this new addiction. You will probably have questions as you go but you couldn't find a better place to ask them or a better group of people to help you. Let us know how you progress. We love pics.

robg
07-16-2016, 11:23 AM
You will save so much money any day now ,nah but you'll shoot a lot more.Lee molds work well ,but my win likes the heavier boolits best.

eddahenry
07-17-2016, 01:12 AM
Ok finished sorting this first batch
51.1 kg of wheel weights
16kg of soft lead
and 11kg of junk
not to bad I say

DerekP Houston
07-17-2016, 04:57 AM
Heck that's over a hundred lbs of lead on your first try! Get to melting em down and let's see some boolits!

eddahenry
07-26-2016, 05:50 AM
Ok did under half of the first lot and I'm getting just under 40 pounds on WW so I think around 90 pounds on the first try
im gunna need a bigger pot lol

DerekP Houston
07-26-2016, 06:01 AM
Ok did under half of the first lot and I'm getting just under 40 pounds on WW so I think around 90 pounds on the first try
im gunna need a bigger pot lol

Looking good! I do believe most people come to the same conclusion after melting a batch...or hunting a shark. What did you end up fluxing your melt with to clean the impurities out? From the picture looks like you got the hang of it quickly.

toallmy
07-26-2016, 06:05 AM
:lovebooli[smilie=w:Fine job , I am sure you learned some of the ( what to do and what not to do ) things associated with melting down and cleaning up your lead stash . So every time will go smother than the last . Now to the fun part casting boolits .

eddahenry
07-26-2016, 06:07 AM
Looking good! I do believe most people come to the same conclusion after melting a batch...or hunting a shark. What did you end up fluxing your melt with to clean the impurities out? From the picture looks like you got the hang of it quickly.
yeh I watched a lot of videos and read a lot of threads ,, fluxed twice with candle wax than once with sawdust to get the alloys mixed back in ,
One question
How do you cool down the Lee moulds ,, after 3 pours it was taking along time to set , and I don't want to have water around and I'm worried I'll crack the mould , is it best just to buy more moulds lol

DerekP Houston
07-26-2016, 06:13 AM
yeh I watched a lot of videos and read a lot of threads ,, fluxed twice with candle wax than once with sawdust to get the alloys mixed back in ,
One question
How do you cool down the Lee moulds ,, after 3 pours it was taking along time to set , and I don't want to have water around and I'm worried I'll crack the mould , is it best just to buy more moulds lol

Erm...I just wait. It is so hot here I usually have a fan going anyways. I personally make mine into muffin tins, 12 x 4-5lbs each at a time. Much less time dipping and pouring. I would just buy more lee molds if you are in a hurry, I've seen some guys here have 6-7 of them.

Same as you, I've seen water crack cast iron skillets so I don't try the wet towel or any techniques other than time/waiting.

It also serves as reminder for what I've added tin to. Muffin shape = range lead/scrap material, Lee ingot = gone through my bottom pour and 1% tin added (roughly). I only have a single lee mold hence I only do 20lbs at most when I make those.

gundownunder
07-26-2016, 06:30 AM
Hey Edda, nice haul, looks like you hit the right shops. The ones I've hit in the northern suburbs seem to have as much steel weight as lead weight. Like you though, I have no problem getting them if I ask. The recycle yards will take them from the shop but they won't pay for them because of the sorting issue. Watch those zinc weights, some of them are well camouflaged.
Are you a club shooter? I shoot lever action up at Wanneroo.

eddahenry
07-26-2016, 06:36 AM
just moved over from sydney so have to start again (they even just said out right no you will not get a class D in WA lol)
ive checked out whiteman park but want to head up to wanneroo to check out the west coast pistol and revolver club

robg
07-26-2016, 03:02 PM
Your on the slippery slope now .glad to know AU's hasn't banned lead yet.have fun

fredj338
07-26-2016, 03:08 PM
Welcome aboard. I am surprised they still have lead ww down under?? I figured the greenies had to be pretty heavy in a country with such vast wilderness.

gundownunder
07-26-2016, 07:18 PM
How do you cool down the Lee moulds ,, after 3 pours it was taking along time to set
What do you call a long time, it should only take a few seconds. I can do about 100 sets an hour with one mold.
I usually use two molds at the same time to increase production.

WCPRC is right next to the lever action club. They shoot prac pistol and icore matches. I've met a couple of the blokes from there, nice people. My son and I checked out Whiteman a few years ago. The height of pig ignorance there, we stood around for over an hour and nobody even bothered to speak to us, and neither one of us had leprosy.

I just went back and read your earlier posts. With a Rossi lever gun and a S&W you could also shoot at PLARC. We don't do any action shooting but we do a modified mandar for the handguns and we also shoot CLAS.

eddahenry
07-26-2016, 11:19 PM
Yeh the lever gun is in NSW in storage until I can get a property letter ( man this licensing the gun not the person I fell is somewhat backwards ) to get it on a open licence , was so much easier in NSW where I had a large property and done contracting for parks ,, i had all sorts of toys :) ,, just a massive pain In the arms when you don't know anyone

gundownunder
07-27-2016, 03:21 AM
Properties aren't easy to come by. You can get them licensed on club support in the mean time.
WA has always had the most draconian gun laws in the country. We now also have the most expensive gun licensing system in the country, and our draconian police minister finds that to be totally acceptable, and not a bad reflection on either herself or her department.

eddahenry
07-29-2016, 09:50 PM
Saturday mornings efforts around 80 pounds :mad:
picked up another 100 odd pounds yesterday afternoon I have to sort now lol
what an am I doing lol

leebuilder
07-30-2016, 06:32 PM
Big welcome and a bigger Oi. What are you doing, you're doing what you want.
Lol
Good start down the greasy slope we all here love.
Lots of fine like minded folk here.
Be well

PAT303
07-30-2016, 08:24 PM
Mate,were abouts in Perth are you?,what club do you shoot at?. Pat

10x
07-30-2016, 08:41 PM
Casting your first boolit is one too many, 10,000 are not enough

eddahenry
07-30-2016, 08:48 PM
Mate,were abouts in Perth are you?,what club do you shoot at?. Pat
hi mate pretty new to Perth just finalised all sales of my stuff in NSW so looking to start again ,,being north I pretty much have the choice of white mans park or waneroo ,, haven't relay decided yet.
I'm just sticking up on lead for when I start lol

woodbutcher
07-30-2016, 08:50 PM
Welcome aboard sir.Lots of fine folks here.What they don`t know ain`t worth knowing.Hehe.Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.Leo

PAT303
07-31-2016, 12:57 AM
hi mate pretty new to Perth just finalised all sales of my stuff in NSW so looking to start again ,,being north I pretty much have the choice of white mans park or waneroo ,, haven't relay decided yet.
I'm just sticking up on lead for when I start lol
Bugger your not south,I'm at Jarrahdale. Pat