PDA

View Full Version : Cheap bullets

abunaitoo
05-23-2008, 12:52 AM
I know this is not about cast bullets, but I just want to see what's going on in the rest of the country.
I've noticed lots of young new shooters at the range with really expensive AR rifles. Attach as many gagets as possible. Shoot the cheapest ammo you can find.
Is it just me, or does this seem stupid. Spend big bucks on a rifle, and shoot the cheapest ammo you can find????
I've noticed more and more steel case shells at the range while prospecting for brass.

dromia
05-23-2008, 02:07 AM
Not my idea of shooting either mate, but it takes all kinds to make a world.

It never fails to surprise me either as to how many people I meet on the range that are only interested in internal ballistics, once it goes bang then its served its purpose.

"To each his own"

trooperdan
05-23-2008, 10:06 AM
I've seen those guys as well; I swear, some of them could just shoot blanks and be as happy!

1Shirt
05-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Just ran accross one at the range on Tues. Brand new black rifles, one in 308 the other 223. However he was shooting factory boxer primed new stuff and was looking for load data. Both rifles were heavy bbl mods, and sporting Lupold glass. Young guy, pleasant, and obviously more money than I had at his age. At least he was going to reload, and he was not just ripping off 5-6 or more round rapid fire bursts. That is something that really frosts me, particularly if they are just launching a burst into the burm so that they can hear the rapid fire noise.

And now for a story about the steel case rapid fire types: About 5 years ago, my son in law and I were on the range by ourselfs when this duffus with an AK-47 and 30 rd. mags shows up. Didn't even set up a target, just wanted to start blasting down range. Well--------He ripped off 2 thirty round mags (steel case stuff) about as fast as he could semi auto, and then reached down and grabbed the rifle by the bbl which had to be about a half stage below red hot. Let me tell you, the scream of pain as he jumped around was one of those things I really enjoyed that day. He packed up with his left hand as the blisters on his right were full palm and fingers and left. Never saw him again (thankfully). Life occaisionally provides us with moments of reality, and for him, that had to be one of those moments.
1Shirt!:coffee:

runfiverun
05-23-2008, 11:03 AM
i like to patiently wait for them to finish then gather their brass.
if they are shooting an 308.
i like to suggest they purchase whichever brand of brass i need the most and show them the
brass bucket we have at the range.

Boerrancher
05-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Yes it would seem that there are a lot of idiots out there with the Asperly Aimless Rifles in clones of the more popular semi auto's out there. Oft times I think there more of the Asperly clones than the real things, but once in a blue moon I am pleasantly shocked when I think I see an Asperly and find out that it is not, but a real AR 15 or some other semi auto that actually shoots, and so does the shooter.

For those of you who do not know about the Asperly Aimless rifle please check out Buckshot's thread on the Asperly.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

jhrosier
05-23-2008, 11:16 AM
... Didn't even set up a target, just wanted to start blasting down range. ..

So, what's the deal with that????
A fellow showed up at my local range with a very nice, brand new Springfield M1A and dumped 50 rounds downrange into the berm, no target.
So he can hit a 8' high by 25' wide berm at 50 yards....
It just seems like a waste to shoot good ammo through an expensive rifle to make noise and hit dirt.

Anyways, he gave me the brass so I guess I shouldn't complain.:-D

Jack

dwtim
05-23-2008, 11:25 AM
I wish more of those shooters would visit my range. I love picking up lots of free lead and copper off the ground. And like Runfiverun says, they are an invaluable source of free brass. I got plenty of .30-06 and .308 brass, and I've never paid for .38 Special brass or 12 gauge hulls. I also have a bucket of 9mm and .40 S&W is looking like an attractive option.

Lloyd Smale
05-23-2008, 11:27 AM
hell im guilty of acting like a kid occasionaly myself. Ive got a couple very accurate ars but usually once in a range session i just cut loose a mag. even at 51 it makes me smile just to make noise once in a while.

trooperdan
05-23-2008, 11:42 AM
...then reached down and grabbed the rifle by the bbl which had to be about a half stage below red hot. Let me tell you, the scream of pain as he jumped around was one of those things I really enjoyed that day. He packed up with his left hand as the blisters on his right were full palm and fingers and left. Never saw him again (thankfully). Life occaisionally provides us with moments of reality, and for him, that had to be one of those moments.

I had a LT do that when he was rodding me off a live-fire range. I had just put 800 rounds though a M60 in short order, the metal had gotten to that white look after burning all the oil off. The LT grabbed the barrel, I actually heard the sizzle when he did! I was actually sorry for him!

corvette8n
05-23-2008, 01:00 PM
I've noticed that at the range I frequent the guys that shoot brass usually pick it up and take it home or at least put it in the brass bin. Those that shoot steel cased .22's or 7.62x39 leave piles on the ground at least a foot high, plus all their other garbage.
Me I usually come home with more brass than I shoot.:-D

Blammer
05-23-2008, 01:23 PM
I take my AR to the range shoot a few "impressive" groups then rip off a few too... :)

Usually, for some unknown reason, they assume that my 1" group at 100 yds was when I was ripping em down range quite quickly... it's funny to see the puzzled looks on thier faces and I let it go at that unless they pry.

trickyasafox
05-23-2008, 01:37 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with occasional rapid fire- It's not for me all the time, but once in a while, who doesn't like bouncing around a can or laying waste to some clay pigeons on the berm just as quick as you can?

as for the steel cased stuff- keep an eye on it. I reload the boxer primed wolf 223. it shoots just fine and is nice 'shoot and forget' brass if your going to a lost brass range, or in a field where recovery is not always an option.

as long as the people at the range are SAFE and adhere to the rules, I don't mind how they enjoy their firearms.

sundog
05-23-2008, 02:05 PM
I was a safety NCO on a squad movement to contact live fire range one time. I had to rod the soldiers off after they cleared their weapons. One guy comes up and lays the muzzle in my hand. Fortunately I was pulling my hand away while he was trying to put it there, so contact was minimal. I'll guarantee you that HE learned a very valuable lesson that day...

Since this is about cheap boolits -- I always rag the guys I shoot with now about how high quality but inexpensive my boolits are. I tell them that since casting is just a hobby the only real cost is for the gas checks only. I avoid going through the math drill for what it takes from raw resource (WW, range scrap, shower pan, old pipe, tin, solder) to finished product. Moulds, lube, lubesizers, dies, top punches, pots, camp fuel and propane, utensils, etc. If I ever figured all that up, I might stop casting and go back to shooting the cheaper jacketed bullets.

After all, casting is just a hobby.

Isn't it?

Tom W.
05-23-2008, 02:19 PM
If someone wants to rip a few off, That's fine with me, as long as I'm out of the way of the ejection port. I do wish people would police their brass, though...

Lloyd Smale
05-23-2008, 03:48 PM
you guys can come shoot at my range anyday if you want to leave your brass lay. Ive got a couple police depts that have my permission to use it and they leave there brass for me all the time. I took some ass chewing but ive got them trained now to pick it up and they even seperate it into seperate buckets for me now! Told them too to leave there steal cased stuff at home.

montana_charlie
05-23-2008, 04:20 PM
I spent most of my year in 'Nam on a mountaintop north of the Parrot's Beak. When we saw 'action' it was always at night.

We had a number of weapon types available including M-16's, M-79's, M-60's, a few different brands of shotgun, and a few sidearms. I made it known that I could perform 'light maintenance' on any of those, and had enough tools available (in my electronic technician kit) to accomplish minor repairs on some. As it took a minimum of three days to get a replacement weapon from Tay Ninh or Saigon, I had occasional 'customers' among the ten of us assigned there.

There were several (besides me) who also enjoyed a bit of target shooting on the perimeter; occasions when a weapon needed it's sights adjusted; and times when I went out to test fire the latest 'gunsmithing job'.

Except for short bursts to check a rifle or magazine, I never fired any M-16 on full auto (including my own) unless I was shooting at a bad guy...and even that was a rare occurrence.
Naturally, M-60's are a different story, but even then the order of the day was rapidly-triggered three to five-round bursts...not those long, barrel-melting, rips...whether it was 'practice' or the real thing. If we needed to 'spray' and area, a Claymore did a better job.

I think a man who 'needs' an automatic weapon will use it more sanely than the guy who just has one 'for fun'.
CM

mooman76
05-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Maybe that's all they can aford after all the expensive gagets!

Doble Troble
05-23-2008, 08:54 PM
At least they're shooting.

Maybe (and probably) with experience they'll slow down and try (if you get a chance talk up local matches that they might be interested in).

Until then we need as many shooting enthusiasts as we can get...as long as they're safe about it.

Duckiller
05-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Be kind to people shooting at the berm, one of them may be me. I NEED to fireform some .257 Ackley brass and haven't decided if I want to shoot at target frames or the berm. A busted target frame will cost me $10.00.

Sprue
05-24-2008, 10:01 AM
I don't see the concern. Not everyone cares to shoot competition or competitively. Some I'm sure get satisfaction from being able to hit a pie plate size target or simply hear the return echo from hitting a 50, 200,250 300 yard gongs. Not everyone cares to shoot tight groups.

I will say that I enjoy plinking, punching 5 shot dime or quarter size holes is of no great or significance or concern although I do have the toys capable of doing so. Course, aging eyes and bi-focals has nothing to do with it.

So for some, being able to hit the hit the 250 -300 yrd gongs standing, with iron or a scope sites is good enuff - it also tends to keep me polished for deer season, I think LOL.

As for the entire hobby itself ie, reloading, casting, foraging for brass, lead and any other things that I can either make myself or find, adds to the total satisfaction I get from the hobby.

So anyway, yes, I love to see the noobs or folks that come to the range to plink and leave their brass lying - for the taking. I hope they come often.

Some have money to burn, some don't have the time or interest in tight groups & some just enjoy relaxing at the range or pilfering around the garage bench. :Fire:

All have a safe Memorial Weekend, and remember what this holiday is all about.

On another note: Summertime is now here - Hot Dog!

NSP64
05-25-2008, 01:59 PM
If I get to the range and people are shootin, I sometimes will just shoot into the berm. There are alot of unbroken clays layin around to aim at. Then when the range is cleared(to ck targets) I'll set up my target.

Echo
05-25-2008, 04:03 PM
I volunteer at the county range close to where I live. Wannabe's come out and shoot their 'assault rifles'. We don't allow full-auto, and we collect all the brass and sell it to recyclers - except for the odd batch that finds it's way into my range bag. The money goes into a fund that the range has access to - right. At least the wannabes are shooting - but they aren't asking for advice. I occasionally offer advice - if they follow, I'll offer more. If they don't, they have heard the last advice from me. Lots of stories, as I am sure all of you could also relate.

EasyEd

monadnock#5
05-25-2008, 07:00 PM
I know that the true measure of accuracy lies in the ability to shoot the smallest possible groups, and I do try to accomplish that goal each time I go out. The kid in me however is a lot happier shooting clay pigeons and making the targets on the Seligman Shooting Tree go clang.

I hunt with a group of guys to which we invite others to join occasionally. Years ago we had a hunter who, when he missed a big buck shooting Remington ammo, promptly went out and bought a box of premium Winchester ammo. No sighting in, no range time, his new "magic bullets" were supposed to do it all. No point waiting for his empty brass. Wherever he is, I'll bet 3/4's of it is still unfired.

FISH4BUGS
05-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Many of us machine gunners simply rip magazine after magazine into the berm at some small rock, can, lid, cartridge, hull, dark spot, piece of clay target or whatever else gets in the way....that is why God invented cheap STen magazines!
A MAC isn't exactly a target weapon, but my S&W 76 can shoot well enough (on semi auto) at 100 yds to hit a gong about a foot around.
The fun IS the blasting...........that is why I cast and reload all my subgun and rifle caliber ammunition.....so I CAN blast.
........and have you ever seen an M16 on full auto with a 11" bbl rip off a magazine with ammo loaded with BLC-2?.......the greatest light and sound show ever invented!
Blasting is good.........
Wannabes? Nope........hell, if it doesn't have a selector switch, it really isn't shooting!
Fish4Bugs
President
NABC
(National Association of Blasting Crazies)

MT Gianni
05-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Go to Knob Creek and see what all the fun is about. I was surprised at the accuracy of the Uzzi. As someone , probably Beagle advised me be calm when you see how casually people treat their brass. It is fun but sprinters and marathoners don't need to have the others point of view. As Felix has said many times "minute of beer can is good". Gianni

Tom Herman
05-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Hi 1Shirt,

My favorite idiot story is when two friends of mine were at the local range shooting their handguns from the 50 yard line.
Some idiot and his young son show up behind them with a brand new AR-15 and start firing from the 100 yard line, full well knowing that there are people 50 yards in front of them!
Needless to say, that got the immediate attention of my buddies. They proceed to hand the moron back his ass, and the kid gets a lesson he won't forget, either.
The guy is thankfully never seen at the range again.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Just ran accross one at the range on Tues. Brand new black rifles, one in 308 the other 223. However he was shooting factory boxer primed new stuff and was looking for load data. Both rifles were heavy bbl mods, and sporting Lupold glass. Young guy, pleasant, and obviously more money than I had at his age. At least he was going to reload, and he was not just ripping off 5-6 or more round rapid fire bursts. That is something that really frosts me, particularly if they are just launching a burst into the burm so that they can hear the rapid fire noise.

And now for a story about the steel case rapid fire types: About 5 years ago, my son in law and I were on the range by ourselfs when this duffus with an AK-47 and 30 rd. mags shows up. Didn't even set up a target, just wanted to start blasting down range. Well--------He ripped off 2 thirty round mags (steel case stuff) about as fast as he could semi auto, and then reached down and grabbed the rifle by the bbl which had to be about a half stage below red hot. Let me tell you, the scream of pain as he jumped around was one of those things I really enjoyed that day. He packed up with his left hand as the blisters on his right were full palm and fingers and left. Never saw him again (thankfully). Life occaisionally provides us with moments of reality, and for him, that had to be one of those moments.