PDA

View Full Version : Lube???

Deadeye
05-22-2008, 10:06 PM
I was looking thru the homemade lube thread & was wondering about Pan Lubing.
I'm planning to do some casting soon & can't afford a lubing machine so pan lubing gonna have to be the way I go. I noticed some of the recipes mention pan lubing some don't. It would seem to me that just about any of then would work in a pan if you heat them & pour them in? I like the simpler ones using beeswax & vaseline or toilet wax. Its my understanding that toilet wax contains beeswax, so I'm thinking maybe a mix of 50% toilet wax & 50% vaseline with a little carnuba or Johnsons paste wax thrown in might make a good lube. I checked a bottle of Makers Mark & it looks like their using plastic nowdays & not wanting to buy a block of cheese, what are some other sources for carnuba? Also Johnsons makes a lot of different waxes, where or what dept. of a store would I find it (is it for furniture, floors etc)? I'm new to this whole casting scene so please "Splane me" like you would if you where sending you wife out to get this stuff.:-D

whisler
05-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Johnson's Paste wax is in a can marked "Johnson's Paste Wax" and can be found in the cleaning aisle at Home Depot. It has been used for years to wax hardwood floors.

docone31
05-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I pan lube.
The trick I do is to let the lube and bullets cool over night. I am going to try lining the pan with wax paper next time.
The lube shrinks a tad, and if the pan is set upside down over a towel, a quick bap on the bottom and the whole cake falls out, with bullets.
Press the bullets out of the cake heel first by pushing down on the nose of the bullet.
Once you get the knack of it, it is suprisingly simple. You also have to get the bullets and pan the same temperature. If not, you get incomplete lubing in the lands.
I got a new no stick pan in the grocery store. It is the designated pan for bullets only. I use a soup ladle to pour the lube into the pan with the bullets. Sizing really makes the lube and bullets easy to load.
Once I get the pan and bullets up to heat, I pour the lube. From that point I let the pan cool down in the oven. Once solid I then remove and set upside down.
That way works best for me. Besides it smells like perfume to me.

badgeredd
05-22-2008, 10:37 PM
I pan lube.
The trick I do is to let the lube and bullets cool over night. I am going to try lining the pan with wax paper next time.
The lube shrinks a tad, and if the pan is set upside down over a towel, a quick bap on the bottom and the whole cake falls out, with bullets.
Press the bullets out of the cake heel first by pushing down on the nose of the bullet.
Once you get the knack of it, it is suprisingly simple. You also have to get the bullets and pan the same temperature. If not, you get incomplete lubing in the lands.
I got a new no stick pan in the grocery store. It is the designated pan for bullets only. I use a soup ladle to pour the lube into the pan with the bullets. Sizing really makes the lube and bullets easy to load.
Once I get the pan and bullets up to heat, I pour the lube. From that point I let the pan cool down in the oven. Once solid I then remove and set upside down.

I wanted to ask exactly how and now you've explained it so eloquently, I won't have to. BTW, you must not be married to have that perfume in the house.

Ricochet
05-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Toilet ring wax no longer contains beeswax. It's "slack wax," the wax that precipitates out of chilled lubricating oil stock and is separated out by centrifuging or screening. Still has enough oil in it to make it soft and sticky.

docone31
05-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Actually, I am.
She is wife #6 though.
I took out a singles ad a long time ago.
Seeking, emotionally fractured, codependant woman from a dysfunctional relationship, seeking repitition.
She walked up to me and called me a rectal orifice. Usualy, they call me that on the way out. I figuired this one might be different. She understood the irony of the ad.
My fair bride has a nice custom race gun. She watches me reload her cases, and allows me to teach her.
I built our house, with an air evacuation system built into it. I do a lot of high temperature casting in it. Melted valve stems are nothing.
I consider myself very fortunate. We run our business and work together side by side. At home and at work. I taught her. She is getting ready for me to teach her diamond setting. I have already had her reshank, custom make, cut stones, both lapidary and gem stones.
So far so good.
I took her from an has been Valley Girl to someone who was asked if she wanted to be a range officer at our range. They respect her firearm handling and bring ladies who have never shot before to her to show them the ropes. I want to get her NRA certified and teach classes.
I also make sure I clean up real well. She reminds me for days of the stink. Then she goes practicing.
I am fortunate.
I got her a new Taurus PT1911, which she loves. She got me a turret press for christmas.
How does it work that way?
She also wants to shoot Palma.

Deadeye
05-23-2008, 12:18 AM
I pan lube.

So what temp do you set the oven at?

357maximum
05-23-2008, 02:11 AM
, so I'm thinking maybe a mix of 50% toilet wax & 50% vaseline with a little carnuba or Johnsons paste wax thrown in might make a good lube..:-D

What are you going to be lubing.....is the question begging to be anwered.

That recipe might make a fair grease, but it will be a runny mess as a lube. Try using the toilet wax and just a touch of candle wax, if you are not doing nothing too demanding it will work. Now when you want to get meaner...you are going to have to buy either commercial lube, beeswax, or a good microcrystalline lube to use as a base.

I have some lube that I would part with rather cheaply(cover the material& shipping costs only) if you find yourself with no other options.......I get a bit carried away when I dive into something, and I will not live to be 200 so I can spare a bit.[smilie=1:[smilie=1::twisted:

Wayne Smith
05-23-2008, 07:51 AM
So what temp do you set the oven at?

175, the lowest it will go.

Deadeye
05-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Well I think I found my lube. I'm going with 75%beeswax & 25%moly grease.
Thanks for all the replies guys

runfiverun
05-23-2008, 10:36 AM
moly?
gaaaaaahhh.

docone31
05-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Arrgh!
55% beeswax, 45% petroleum jelly, toss in a little ATF, some carnuba, and cook, stir. I have also tossed in a little Marvel Mystery oil just for luck.

Marlin Junky
05-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Arrgh!
55% beeswax, 45% petroleum jelly, toss in a little ATF, some carnuba, and cook, stir. I have also tossed in a little Marvel Mystery oil just for luck.

To keep #6 forever, substitute Jojoba oil for ATF. Purchase the Jojoba oil by the gallon and let her use it as a moisturizer. :-D

MJ