PDA

View Full Version : PID Controller

LongPoint
07-13-2016, 06:35 PM
=====

DerekP Houston
07-13-2016, 07:18 PM
I finally talked myself into needing a PID. I have been going through the threads here and decided to purchase a ready built unit. I contacted OB in the swap/sell section and after a couple PM's he got one headed my way.

It arrived today and I was casting in short order. I am amazed how well it maintains temp. I giggle when I see that little light flashing and the temp is +/- a couple degrees of setpoint.

Anyone looking for a ready built PID, OB is a great guy to deal with.

Marvin

Thanks for the review! I've recommended him to a few people, though mine personally was from mgread. Don't know if the promelt needs it, but it certainly helps my toaster oven maintain temp better.

casac47
07-14-2016, 02:58 PM
It's probably not a "must have" item but it sure makes casting go a lot smoother.

Walter Laich
07-14-2016, 08:35 PM
Pro Melt does benefit from them, too. Mine may be off a little as the temperature fluctuates about 2º ± over the course of an hour casting session :-D

also have one on my powder coating toaster oven and it hold to 1º above and below do then nothing is being added or removed during the baking session

Nick Quick
07-14-2016, 08:43 PM
Walter Laich, how do you position the temp probe into your toaster oven?

03fatboy
07-15-2016, 07:06 AM
I'll put in my vote for using a PID, I'm using a Lee pot and it has really helped me control the temp a lot better.
I bought mine from OBIII and has worked flawless.

Rich22
07-15-2016, 03:29 PM
Going to wire mine up quite soon, bought parts from OB, best service from anyone I have ever had on here.

dikman
07-17-2016, 02:30 AM
Walter Laich, how do you position the temp probe into your toaster oven?

I have a similar setup. First try I used a short stud probe, but the temp control was unreliable, so I replaced it with a 4" probe (same as I use in my lead pots). I drilled a hole in the centre back of the oven, located a bit above the middle tray, and mounted it there. The probe extends into the oven and works well, although as my oven isn't fan-forced only the middle tray has accurate temperature control. The first time I used the top tray (Hi-Tek coating) it got too hot and over cooked the coating!

DerekP Houston
07-17-2016, 04:51 AM
I use a 6" probe but same technique. Identify a spot on the side where there are no controls and just drilled a hole in the side. The threads on the end of my thermocouple acruelly screwed in the the toaster oven. Probe sits just below where my tray of boolits slides in. Works like a champ so far.

Nick Quick
07-17-2016, 11:32 PM
Thank you for the input gents. I was trying to imagine how a temp probe could get into the oven but now is all clear. So no temperature resistant putty involved or anything else other than screwing the probe into the oven wall?

dikman
07-18-2016, 03:14 AM
Yep, just screw it through the metal wall/back. The metal on my oven is pretty thin so I used the nut that came with the probe. No need to try and be too fancy.

AbitNutz
07-18-2016, 09:09 PM
I just have my brother-in-law touch his tongue to the edge of the pot. I can pretty well gauge the temp based on the pitch of his screams. Unfortunately, he's only accurate for only a couple of sessions per week.