PDA

View Full Version : Bloody effin thieves!!!

rockrat
07-12-2016, 07:51 PM
Other half went to the park to take her normal walk she has been doing on an off for the last few years. She got back, went to the bank and when she came out a few minutes later, noticed her front door lock was damaged. Didn't figure it was a the bank, with security cameras, but at the park.

Looks like someone took a screwdriver and jammed it in the lock to try and break it to get in the car. Luckily they didn't. She had anything worthwhile hidden.

Told her she needs to go make a police report. She was #4 for someone report about a break-in/attempted break-in, that morning.
Was told if she had something visible that the thieves really wanted, they would have broken the window to get it.

Gonna cost $600 to get it fixed. [smilie=b:

William Yanda
07-12-2016, 07:55 PM
Agreed, doesn't take much for the damage$ to pile up. Trim fell off the wifes driver side back door. $10 for special tape, $75 Labor at the dealership. That's a Chevy. Glad it wasn't an upscale model.

lightload
07-12-2016, 08:00 PM
We leave our vehicles unlocked at night so that a thief will not damage door locks or glass if he tries to break in. Nothing of value is left in them. My old truck is parked in such a way to block the car's movement. A motion light is placed to illuminate any object that moves in the truck's vicinity. Until my dear old cow dog died recently, she often slept on a comfortable pallet in the truck bed. Her one fault was that she would bite.

victorfox
07-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Sigh it happens here all time. They stole my spare tire destroyed passenger door lock now drivers lock. I gave up this car wont fix anything cosmetic anymore till I get another... today it looks totally unstealable.

Clay M
07-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Someone stuck a knife in my daughters tire one night.
Never found out who did it.
It seemed like random act.

DerekP Houston
07-12-2016, 09:46 PM
We leave our vehicles unlocked at night so that a thief will not damage door locks or glass if he tries to break in. Nothing of value is left in them. My old truck is parked in such a way to block the car's movement. A motion light is placed to illuminate any object that moves in the truck's vicinity. Until my dear old cow dog died recently, she often slept on a comfortable pallet in the truck bed. Her one fault was that she would bite.

To the OP, that sucks I hope insurance can cover part of it.

lmao I used to do the unlocked trick when i lived in College Station. The idiot that broke my window to steal a $50 gps unit didn't even try the door I guess. Cost me more to replace the window than the GPS and cops weren't interested at that price point. We moved shortly after.

bedbugbilly
07-12-2016, 10:03 PM
There are those in this life that are "givers" . . . and those in this life that are "takers". Unfortunately, it seems like the balance is tipping towards more "takers" who feel that they are entitled to anything they want without having to work to get it. I have to believe that most of these "break ins" of cars, etc. is to get either money or something they can pawn to buy drugs. I firmly believe that when caught . . . just like in school when you did something wrong and got caught, you got your knuckles rapped with a ruler . . . . their knuckles ought to be rapped with a tire iron . . . .

Plate plinker
07-12-2016, 11:15 PM
WTH that sucks. We still wish we could get our hands on the dirt bag that swindled gramps. A little trip to the desert would be nice.

RP
07-12-2016, 11:50 PM
Place i worked at awhile back was broke into the dummies hammer on the drink machine trying to break in and it was unlocked then they went to the safe which just held printer paper to keep it dry and beat the dial off and it was also just closed not locked. Tools laying around which would have got them some easy fast money was left laying. The company moved into a new building which had nothing at the time inside one guy broke in when he found nothing he was unable to get back out since he could not get high enough to climb back out the window. All that being said most thief s are not real smart.

MaryB
07-13-2016, 01:22 AM
Friend had a bunch of car break ins, figured it was the single mom's kids a block over because the whole neighborhood was getting hit. He rigged a motion activated sprayer and a nozzle tucked against the upper door frame corner out of sight. Loaded it with skunk spray from the hunting store. Sure enough, truck lock had been opened over night. He reported it to the cops and said the perps stink like skunk and they live at XXX. Cops went to investigate and sure enough... it was the 14 and 16 year old who ran wild and were always in trouble. This was mid winter and no skunks out so they could not claim they got sprayed.

w5pv
07-13-2016, 07:16 AM
Until I tied my ole BMC where he could protect things I was always having things missing but not now.the delivery people know how to get around him but they tell me they hope his tether doesn't break.

lightman
07-13-2016, 07:58 AM
There are those in this life that are "givers" . . . and those in this life that are "takers". Unfortunately, it seems like the balance is tipping towards more "takers" who feel that they are entitled to anything they want without having to work to get it. I have to believe that most of these "break ins" of cars, etc. is to get either money or something they can pawn to buy drugs. I firmly believe that when caught . . . just like in school when you did something wrong and got caught, you got your knuckles rapped with a ruler . . . . their knuckles ought to be rapped with a tire iron . . . .

No, their heads should be rapped with the tire iron!

Ballistics in Scotland
07-13-2016, 08:18 AM
To the OP, that sucks I hope insurance can cover part of it.

lmao I used to do the unlocked trick when i lived in College Station. The idiot that broke my window to steal a $50 gps unit didn't even try the door I guess. Cost me more to replace the window than the GPS and cops weren't interested at that price point. We moved shortly after.

That might have been from fear of leaving fingerprints. Carrying gloves in summer isn't exactly an offence, but could get them more investigation than they can stand.

DerekP Houston
07-13-2016, 08:20 AM
That might have been from fear of leaving fingerprints. Carrying gloves in summer isn't exactly an offence, but could get them more investigation than they can stand.

I do believe someone would need to actually show up to take finger prints. And car's get really freaking hot here, we all know the trick of using the bottom of your shirt to keep from burning your hands on the door. I think it was just a stupid decision and done before he thought it out. Grabbed the $50 gps to pawn, but I had my professional knife roll sitting on the floor board under neath it. Well over 2k in assorted gear that got ignored cause it didn't look pawnable or just too stupid to look down.

Outpost75
07-13-2016, 09:59 AM
I know how people hate car alarms going off, but they are a deterrent.

An alarm which blasts a voice message alert is more effective than a "whoop!"

https://www.viper.com/car/accessories/product/516l/programmable-voice-system

10x
07-13-2016, 10:04 AM
A couple of years ago a crack head slashed the top on my Miata. I always left it unlocked because the cloth top was so easy to cut. They got nothing

victorfox
07-13-2016, 12:16 PM
No, their heads should be rapped with the tire iron!

Nope, they heads should be rapped with the jack preferably a hilift

RogerDat
07-13-2016, 12:31 PM
The shops that will buy and sell loose air bag units are part of the problem, the air bags are expensive, easy to steal if you don't care how badly you damage the vehicle. I have heard that radios are too vehicle specific now so not worth stealing unless people have an aftermarket one that is high end.

Used to live between two families with boys that were sort of punks. At least they were bright enough to not take a dump where they sleep. Never any problems. Of course having the whole damn family over for pistol practice in the back yard might have also influenced their lack of interest. That and my telling the father of one in the hearing of his kid about exactly how I went about recovering my stolen property in a prior incident. Mostly boiled down to asking people I thought might know something, very sternly, and with the understanding that I would let go of their throat and balls once I had an answer. But not one second before.

Walla2
07-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Rescued a Chesapeake Bay Retriever from the pound. It took about 6 months to bond with it. Drives in the truck, quality time in the shop. It bonded to my wife almost immediately. Big dog about 2 years old and 80 pounds, a female. about a year after it started living here my wife and I woke up to a tremendous ruckus outside. We live in the country, and some jerk drove down our lane to steal from us (from the dog she thought) She chewed the **** out of him. His girlfriend was in the car and drove off without him. He was hiding under the truck. Broken door lock of an unlocked truck. I had a heck of a time getting her away from him. Left her alone until the Deputy arrived. They had been looking for him for some time. Cleared up a lot of burglaries and thefts. Found the girlfriend. I got the bill for the ambulance. Boy was I mad. He was underage so I sued his parents for my trouble and damages and a physical at the vet. It was winter so no farming to do and I loved it. Because I sued it made the paper. A few more sued when they found out they could. Still hate thieves.

Freightman
07-13-2016, 12:46 PM
A few years back I came in to the dock late after picking up 44K of highly flammable chemicals. The road driver was to pick it up a little later so I was instructed to hook the road tractor to it and leave the gate unlocked. Well a 15 year old run away got the truck started and took it to the truck stop and ran over the fuel island, why I have no idea as it was fueled with 200 gal. The police didn't arrest him just turned him over to the juvie and returned home. Really showed him the consequences of breaking the law, the lesson he learned is no problem just a shame on you and be a good boy .

MT Gianni
07-13-2016, 02:18 PM
Rescued a Chesapeake Bay Retriever from the pound. It took about 6 months to bond with it. Drives in the truck, quality time in the shop. It bonded to my wife almost immediately. Big dog about 2 years old and 80 pounds, a female. about a year after it started living here my wife and I woke up to a tremendous ruckus outside. We live in the country, and some jerk drove down our lane to steal from us (from the dog she thought) She chewed the **** out of him. His girlfriend was in the car and drove off without him. He was hiding under the truck. Broken door lock of an unlocked truck. I had a heck of a time getting her away from him. Left her alone until the Deputy arrived. They had been looking for him for some time. Cleared up a lot of burglaries and thefts. Found the girlfriend. I got the bill for the ambulance. Boy was I mad. He was underage so I sued his parents for my trouble and damages and a physical at the vet. It was winter so no farming to do and I loved it. Because I sued it made the paper. A few more sued when they found out they could. Still hate thieves.
Chessies are great dogs. Bred for the cold harsh waters of the bay where market hunting was a livelihood. Some breeders claim they were also bred to defend the duck pile as it was easy money to a thief who would add them to their own piles. In any case it is one tough dog breed. Glad thing worked so well for you.

Ballistics in Scotland
07-14-2016, 05:51 AM

We live just around the corner from an area of public housing which figures prominently in the court reports in the local paper. But apart from a couple of broken car mirrors which could be because it is the route to others of the same, they have always been perfectly good neighbours to us. Their dogs are uncommonly mannerly, which is usually a good sign.

Yesterday though, two small boys came over the garden wall uninvited, probably to retrieve a ball, and Lanty Hanlon the Irish terrier made an arrest. He just barked twice to let us know, and like Charlie Chaplin capturing the Kaiser and the Crown Prince, he surrounded them. There was no violence or threat of violence, and it wasn't much different from his behavior when kids encourage him to play, but they were terrified. With luck the word will get around.

I also thought my safest car from the breakin point of view was my soft-topped Scimitar in the 1980s. The only time it actually happened was when a window was broken in a hard-topped car and my photographic tripod stolen. The police told me it probably happened because it was parked near a massage parlour where they were pretty sure you could get massaged in places they don't advertise. (I was somewhere else, honest!) The location greatly reduced the chances of someone reporting the crime.

steveRich
07-14-2016, 06:50 AM
I have an example of how bright some thieves are over here in the UK, at my Club Range the night visitors (we call them Pikies over here) raided us and broke into the store, but what fascinated us was that they broke open an unlocked door to the open air Firing Point with a 10 pound hammer, Why didn't they just walk round the outside of it, I would have loved to have seen their faces when they got the door open and all that was there was the other side of the wall!

victorfox
07-14-2016, 10:11 AM
Reminds me of a movie I watched sometime ago can't remember the name or the plot but I'm quite sure it's guy ritchie s.... not lock stock, maybe snatch or rock n rolla

popper
07-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Older Chevy trucks have a problem with door handles opened with a screw driver. I lost a CB from the well worn Rabbit years ago, guess the 1/4 whip was a giveaway. Only real problem I have is George gets my glasses, don't work so he returns them to a different place. Must be caught in that Groundhog time loop, it just keeps happening. He's stealthy as the dog doesn't even notice.

Clay M
07-14-2016, 04:08 PM
People are weird . I went to town today. I always stop by a local produce stand. Have done it for years.
I got some tomatoes and paid the man $4.00 .walked over and picked up some corn,and went to pay for it,and he told me I had not paid for the tomatoes.

I know for a fact I paid him.

He lost a lifetime customer over $4.00