PDA

View Full Version : C & r ffl

TXGunNut
07-12-2016, 12:47 AM
With my interest in older firearms and the occasional trip out of state I've been told a C & R license may come in handy. I've got some research to do but would appreciate input on how much trouble they are to obtain and any potential pitfalls.

browntown
07-12-2016, 01:54 AM
Not a ton of work, takes a little time and paperwork. I did mine about ten years ago, and I remember there being plenty of websites to help with the particulars. AR15.com has some posts on the paperwork. Cruffler has a starter guide. http://www.cruffler.com/becomingcruffler.html

Couple months to get it, once you have it, renewal is simple. If you move, you have to do some paperwork. Little things like taping a printout warning to your gunsafe -- something like "Theft from a firearms licensee is a federal offense". And keep a bound book. The subject of an excel spreadsheet counting as a bound book has been argued. Just get a three ring binder. Even if your'e not buying many guns, the best part is dealer pricing at Brownells, Graf's, Wolff Springs, Midsouth I think. Midway used to give it, then stopped. I've paid for the license through these discounts many times over.

You get a giant book of which guns are C&R, but essentially anything over 50 years old can be mailed directly to your home. Or, if you're like me, you spy an old revolver at a random pawn shop, and skip the NICS charge and just have an 01ff to 03ffl transaction.

Freightman
07-12-2016, 11:45 AM
I have one I have had for 20 years get you discounts at the suppliers, $30 three years it will pay for its self , the discount uselessly covers the shipping

nicholst55
07-12-2016, 11:54 AM
Or, if you're like me, you spy an old revolver at a random pawn shop, and skip the NICS charge and just have an 01ff to 03ffl transaction.

IF the 01 FFL will honor your 03 (C&R) FFL, which a whole bunch of them won't.

browntown
07-12-2016, 12:33 PM
Never had a problem here in Oregon, but I haven't tried at that many places. Sometimes you have to explain why a particular gun qualifies. If a gun doesn't have a easily searchable way of serial number dating and isn't in the big book of qualified guns, chances are neither you or the gun shop should risk the exchange. Old, pre-garcia Sako rifles have this problem. You can pretty well say it was built before 1972, but can you for sure say it was built before 1966? Hard to do. In that scenario, pay the nics fee and buy like normal. Oregon did change a rule that made things nice though, if you are a concealed carry holder you go to the head of the phone queue with the state police to complete your NICS form.

Freightman
07-12-2016, 01:19 PM
NICS fee? never been charged a fee for NICS ck.

WebMonkey
07-12-2016, 01:25 PM
I've had my c&r for many years, was/is easy to get/renew.

the 'cheap stuff' from websites are gone or way over priced anymore.

I have had good luck keeping an eye on the c&r category on gunbroker.
old wingmasters, .22lr, top breaks etc etc.

nice to be able to order, pay, receive at your door that 'new to you' firearm.
good luck

'monkey

reddog81
07-12-2016, 02:14 PM
It can be handy and it's not too much of a hassle. I've used mine to purchase a Swiss K31 and used the C&R license as one of the requirements to qualify for CMP purchases. For handguns it hasn't helped me much. To ship handguns it cheaper to use FFL 01's even if both parties have FFL 03's.

Every time I've been out of state and asked about purchasing a C&R item at a gun store I've been told that they are not able to sell to me and that my C&R license doesn't mean anything to them.

The one downside is that you have to keep a bound book of all C&R eligible purchases and sales. I keep track of all my purchases in an excel spreadsheet so that requirement doesn't effect me much. I print out a copy of the sheet to throw into my "bound book".

From what I've heard the C&R selection was much greater years ago. Right now the C&R selection available at the large online retailers is pretty limited. If you're buying long guns from online auctions the C&R license could be a huge benefit.

condorjohn
07-12-2016, 06:56 PM

In Oregon you go through the State Police for the NCIS check. They charge $10 for the service

TXGunNut
07-13-2016, 12:33 AM
In this situation it would have paid for itself. I'll have to pay shipping and find an FFL to do a transfer so I'm out $50-60 already. I used to get an armorer's discount with Brownells, would be nice to get that again.
I'm thinking most of the dealers I'll be dealing with will honor the 03FFL as they deal with old guns on a regular basis. If I'm travelling and stop into a gun shop (as I sometimes do) I may be able to buy an old gun sitting on the rack-or maybe not. I won't knowingly do anything to invite closer scrutiny from any alphabet agency, just not worth it. I won't expect any 01FFL to do something he's not comfortable with.

Wayne Smith
07-13-2016, 07:18 AM
Then do it. It's well worth the minor hassle with that attitude. I've renewed mine twice now.

DerekP Houston
07-13-2016, 08:14 AM

Just applies to Texas, but it is the only laws I'm familiar with and have bookmarked for reference. Per the website:

Texas is not a point of contact state for the NICS. Texas has no law requiring firearms dealers to initiate background checks prior to transferring a firearm. As a result, in Texas, firearms dealers must initiate the background check required by federal law by contacting the FBI directly.1 (http://smartgunlaws.org/background-checks-in-texas/#footnote_0_2487)

Also, once I got my CHL I noticed that my FFL transfer fee dropped at a number of places to half the original charge. Some honor it some don't, but I was told all they are legally required to do is get the 4473 form filled out properly by both parties. Doesn't bother me either way, but I like the lower price! Pawn shop across the street is kinda slow about calling and what not, but super convenient and he only charges $20 flat rate for me now. I've seen some of the LGS/Ranges charge up to $40 as they don't want you really using them for that purpose.

MrWolf
07-13-2016, 08:58 AM
My range shop charges $40 for being a member, $15 for NCIS, and $20 per each additional firearm at the time of transfer. NJ does not recognize a C&R.

Duckiller
07-13-2016, 08:27 PM
What do you mean NJ doesn't recognize a C & R licence? It is a federally issued licence. Isn't NJ part of the United States? What other federal laws do they choose to ignore? Guess I don't want your Governor as Donald's VP candidate!

MrWolf
07-13-2016, 10:26 PM
State Police control here. You would be hard pressed to find an FFL that will accept a transfer from an out of state individual. And no you do not want the RINO as VP.

OBIII
07-13-2016, 11:56 PM
New Jersey is a Fascist state as is Maryland. New Jersey is probably worse.
I'm in my 4th year of having my C&R, and it comes in handy using the internet. Garand, SKS, and Tokarev so far. :)
OB

mold maker
07-14-2016, 08:13 PM
I've started several times to apply but don't want to invite more scrutiny than I may already have.
Just what benefits can I reasonably expect from the 03 FFL? I understand that it's less now than in the past.
Take into consideration that I'm 74 and already have most of the antiques I crave.
I'm just a casual collector although I do favor old military weapons of which I may buy one a year.

browntown
07-14-2016, 08:40 PM
I suppose the main benefit for you would be buying c&r weapons online and being able to ship them straight to your home instead of a gun shop that may charge a transfer fee

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Mauser48
07-15-2016, 12:32 AM
I have one, its great. You basically just fill out the form and send in the money then you get it. I never hear about anyone being turned down. You can buy c&r eligible rifles, pistols, and shotguns at gunshows without waiting to have it transferred at a gun shop. If you aren't buying from a private party then you need a certificate of eligibility (at least in CA, not sure about other states). It is nice avoiding the wait and extra fees. Its like $35 if I remember correctly.