PDA

View Full Version : Lee sizer .457--> .461

jonk
05-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I've read two basic opinions on opening up sizers here. Driving slugs impregnated with valve grinding compound through and using progressively finer grits of sandpaper on dowels/rods.

So my trapdoor bullets drop at .461 and shoot far better at said diameter than they do sized to .457. I have the hankering to open up a sizer. Which method would you take for 4/1000 of an inch? Shooting as cast is fine, but I basically want the sizer for the 'squeegee' effect to keep the lube where it should be after I pan lube.

docone31
05-22-2008, 12:04 PM
A tool I use in my jewelery work, is a flap sander. It is essentially a rod with the top inch cut into a slot. I take wet or dry sandpaper, fold it in half, and slide it into the slot. From there I use my Foredom handpiece to spin it.
To go that small an honing, I might consider something like that. Starting with 220, and then going up to 3200.
With this technique I would go very slowly using short spins then checking the size with a bullet.
I am also fairly sure, unsized bullets with lube in the lands, the case itself will press the lube.

GabbyM
05-22-2008, 12:13 PM
You'd be all day cutting .004" with bullet laps.
Better go with the hone. Just don't forget to allow yourself some dimension before switching to finer grit.
PS
When you get down to mirror finish use plenty of fluid. Keeps the aggregate flowing out to avoid scratches and give that shine. WD40 or diesel fuel with a little oil added. Don't do it in the wifes kitchen. And keep it moving up and down a little.

docone31
05-22-2008, 12:23 PM
The other alternative, if you consider your time as having value, is to have Lee make one.
For the 25$ you will have time to cast some great bullets for your rig.

jonk
05-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Well, the case DOES force the lube into the grooves, I'm sure- but also scrapes some off onto the sides of the case. Wiping said lube off each round is a pain.

I know of Lee's custom service, and I just have to decide if my time and effort is more valuable than the $12 or so difference. While I'm at it I could have them make a custom expander for the die set at .461.

IcerUSA
05-23-2008, 12:49 AM
Ask buckshot what he'd charge to do you one .

Keith