PDA

View Full Version : Spy ware attached to the Ruger site

The Dust Collector
05-21-2008, 09:50 PM
I have Norton Internet Security. It just shut the Ruger site down and stated that my computer was attacked with a tool bar spyware. This is the second time that this has happened to me visiting Ruger in the last month. The first time that it happened I contacted Ruger and reported it to them. The person that I spoke with seemed to be pleased with my reporting. Several days later I visited the site again without incidence. Now it's back. Has anyone else experienced this situation?

DUST :confused:

monadnock#5
05-22-2008, 07:46 AM
When I tried to access Champion Shooters Supply the other day, McAfee threw up a red flag saying the site was "very spammy".

I guess it makes sense that if most people know not to open unsolicited e-mail, that the bad guys would go to planting trojans in popular websites.

44man
05-22-2008, 08:02 AM
I had one that kept popping up on my computer even when offline. Told me I had a certain virus and to download this anti virus thing. I put in ad aware and ran everything on my computer, nothing could find it.
I think I got rid of it by deleting all cookies.
Those advertisers can sneak into anything anymore.

Boerrancher
05-22-2008, 08:56 AM
I use Avast, and never worry about where I go. It will me when there is a virus and what kind it is, and will either block it or delete it if it is some type of malicious software. I may have to check out the Ruger site just to see what kind of infection they have.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

badgeredd
05-22-2008, 05:24 PM
I use Avast, and never worry about where I go. It will me when there is a virus and what kind it is, and will either block it or delete it if it is some type of malicious software. I may have to check out the Ruger site just to see what kind of infection they have.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

I've used Avast for 4 or 5 years. Great program and the price (FREE) is very good too. It has caught worms/trojans/viruses that a couple other well known (Mc & Nort) and expensive programs haven't. Also I've noticed that it doesn't load your system down like some others do. I'll give them a big thumbs up!!!!

The Dust Collector
05-22-2008, 06:53 PM
The attack was: Spyware.IEToolbar From what I have found out about it today, it could very well be attached by Ruger or Ruger's web site host (if they use one) The alert stated that it was a very high risk.
44 MAN, I came up with a suedo virus attack about a year ago and in a short time a service was offered to "cure" it. It seems that the computer's start-up menu and toolbar is most likely to be attacked. I did not answer the offer and did manage to remove it.
I did some research on that problem and found that it originated from Madrid Spain. If I had downloaded the "cure program" I would have paid those SOB's to really infect my computer.
DUST

45-70Govt
06-06-2008, 11:26 AM
I kept getting alerts from Anitvirus 2008 telling me I had a lot of infected filesand needed to buy their program. This ad was nasty enough to block logging on the the net. Every time I closed the ad and tried to open the Net connection I got re-looped. Took a while to find the last bit of the ad file and not until l I got rid of them was I able to proceed. I use Avira, they gave me a clean and green report.