PDA

View Full Version : Just a question

Boaz
07-09-2016, 03:03 PM
If (more of a when to me) our government really starts cranking out new gun restrictions how will it affect BP guns ? We have had it pretty easy buying , shipping , owning them . What would happen in the 'crack down' on ANY BP firearm ?

mooman76
07-09-2016, 03:42 PM
We could only guess on that one.

johnson1942
07-09-2016, 04:21 PM
then take up the bow and arrow. my son has already gone to that to hunt the really big bucks. the season here goes from sept to jan. he has time to choose as no one else is out their. got a very very rare buck last year. had a tusk, not one in neb. since the 1960/s. the state took a lot of pictures of it.

Edward
07-09-2016, 04:34 PM
Anymore restrictions and picking up a bow won't be what I will be picking up, besides been ding that for 53yrs and It works for hunting

bedbugbilly
07-09-2016, 09:00 PM
johnson1942 - I haven't pulled a string on a bow since I was a kid . . . many, many years ago. Just curious . . . has the government put any restrictions on bows and arrows . . . like the requirement to have a "guard" on a broad head so you won't cut yourself? LOL I'd be surprised if they haven't . . . .

Who really knows how BP and muzzleloading will be affected. My greatest concern would not be so much on the restrictions of the guns as much as the restrictions on BP itself. Again . . . whatever the "left" wants to do, will it really have an effect on the criminals who will not abide by the rules? As Forest Gump once said (or somebody else?) . . . "you can't fix stupid".

Just remember all of these things that if given the opportunity, the "left" will walk all over the 2nd Amendment (as well as others if they please) . . . . make your vote count in the next election . . . and if not registered . . "get 'er done" so you CAN vote.

johnson1942
07-09-2016, 09:14 PM
the states have begun to let the use of cross bows and im glad for that. its hard to pull a bow when you are older. thats what my son uses. it hasnt led to huge numbers of deer taken by cross bows. its just another fun way to hunt. the deer are not spooked and it is the closest to real hunting as they dont even know what is happening. im a little perplexed that the compressed air gun that shoots arrows is now available. im not sure if i like that or not. they shoot a arrow like a gun shoots a bullet. im not sure where that is going, will wait and see.

mooman76
07-09-2016, 09:41 PM
As Forest Gump once said (or somebody else?) . . . "you can't fix stupid".

Ron White, A.K.A Tader Salad!

triggerhappy243
07-09-2016, 10:24 PM
John Wayne

triggerhappy243
07-09-2016, 10:25 PM
If the govt. bans muzzleloaders, you are in really deep chit.

hp246
07-09-2016, 10:54 PM
johnson1942 - I haven't pulled a string on a bow since I was a kid . . . many, many years ago. Just curious . . . has the government put any restrictions on bows and arrows . . . like the requirement to have a "guard" on a broad head so you won't cut yourself? LOL I'd be surprised if they haven't . . . .

Who really knows how BP and muzzleloading will be affected. My greatest concern would not be so much on the restrictions of the guns as much as the restrictions on BP itself. Again . . . whatever the "left" wants to do, will it really have an effect on the criminals who will not abide by the rules? As Forest Gump once said (or somebody else?) . . . "you can't fix stupid".

Just remember all of these things that if given the opportunity, the "left" will walk all over the 2nd Amendment (as well as others if they please) . . . . make your vote count in the next election . . . and if not registered . . "get 'er done" so you CAN vote. I thin k you hit the nail on the head. They won't go after the "antique guns", they'll go after the powder. Problem for them will be that BP is easy enough to manufacture for the motivated sportsman. True explosive materials are easy enough to manufacture for the motivated terrorist.

mooman76
07-09-2016, 11:56 PM
I would imagine if they went as far as to ban MLs, we by then would have allot worse thing to be worrying about than just that.

waarp8nt
07-10-2016, 01:47 AM
In Illinois we already have to register muzzleloaders just like firearms. We are required to have them shipped to an FFL dealer and perform any waiting periods otherwise we are breaking the law. Even on Modern Reproductions of an otherwise Antique Firearm.

I will mention to the best of my knowledge, we are not restricted as to parts and no one has determined what part of a traditional muzzleloader is the action. This from an FFL dealer and an ISP trooper. Chew on that awhile, Feds don't care only the state of IL or at least from my understanding.

As far as ways to reduce or stop blackpowder shooting. Outlaws lead as HazMat and/or Tax other needed componets such as powder or primers. As for those who manufacture their own powder...require explosive license and manufacture license. Those are some things that I could see that would effect our shooting muzzleloaders or cartridges.

rfd
07-10-2016, 09:03 AM
i worry more about the ban on black powder AND lead.

i have no axe to grind with crossbows for hunting, just as long as they stay out of the archery season zones. crossbows are NOT archery, they are preloaded weapons, same as any firearm. that goes for the new and totally stupid crosman "airbow" nonsense.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-11-2016, 12:17 PM
i worry more about the ban on black powder AND lead.

i have no axe to grind with crossbows for hunting, just as long as they stay out of the archery season zones. crossbows are NOT archery, they are preloaded weapons, same as any firearm. that goes for the new and totally stupid crosman "airbow" nonsense.

archery or not , the DNR wants to see a specific number of dead deer each year to make their heard numbers

some people are just not freaked out by bows or cross bows as they are by guns and even cross bows have fairly limited range

with a significant number of men in my family with bad shoulders some have had the surgery some looking at second surgery , some the range of motion is so low they can't pump a shotgun without dropping it down to their waist , and the absolute expensive hassle it was to get a crossbow permit in the past , I like that they made it easy in WI I don't mind letting 10 year old girls , old men and any one in between use a cross bow to harvest down to the numbers the DNR wants to see.

we have been there where the DNR gave out free tags for more than a decade as many deer as you could shoot with a gun with a 3 month long season, we are just recovering from that , cross bow during archery season seems a much better compromise to me

triggerhappy243
07-11-2016, 12:45 PM
the crossbow has been around as long or longer than the firearm. 4 th century B.C.

swathdiver
07-11-2016, 12:45 PM
We put up with far more government than the colonists did and we do is beyond me.

"...shall not be infringed." means they're not supposed to mess with it at all, in any way and yet, we let them trample over the Constitution with relative abandon.

rfd
07-11-2016, 01:07 PM
crossbows have nothing to do with archery.

a crossbow is a preloaded weapon. it has a stock and it has sights (even scopes), just like a shouldered firearm. you load it and when you want to release its bolt, you pull its trigger. a crossbow, like a firearm, can stay loaded and ready to shoot indefinitely. the main difference is that the crossbow will typically be lots quieter when it's fired.

an archery bow - be it traditional or lever assisted - relies on its operator to load it. even with 90% mechanical advantage cam bows, i don't think many folks will wanna walk around with a fully drawn archery bow.

and now enter crosman with their "airbow" - where instead of utilizing a preloaded string to propel its bolt is using precompressed air. kinda like what spearfishermen use to hunt fish, underwater.

crossbows AND airbows have nothing to do with archery.

triggerhappy243
07-11-2016, 01:26 PM
I did not comment to spur an argument. But the crossbow was invented before any firearm............ making its definition as not a firearm. it shoots an arrow.... just like a conventional bow. I am not defending crossbows.... just stating historical fact.

rfd
07-11-2016, 01:43 PM
I did not comment to spur an argument. But the crossbow was invented before any firearm............ making its definition as not a firearm. it shoots an arrow.... just like a conventional bow. I am not defending crossbows.... just stating historical fact.

other than the fact that both go far back into the millenniums, your thought process makes no sense when it come to their use in the 21st century. the fact that they both use pointy sticks to kill is the only thing they have in common, including the atlatl.

i have nothing against crossbows. my dad made them, and good ones they were, too. just don't confuse a preloaded bolt with a non-preloaded arrow.

triggerhappy243
07-11-2016, 02:13 PM
RFD'S QUOTE: i have no axe to grind with crossbows for hunting, just as long as they stay out of the archery season zones. crossbows are NOT archery, they are preloaded weapons, same as any firearm. that goes for the new and totally stupid crosman "airbow" nonsense.

crossbows not being archery is the same thing as Inline muzzle loaders not being primitive weapons. Modern crossbows are in the same catagory as inlines. I am not confused about anything. I dont shoot a crossbow.... have no desire to try.

johnson1942
07-11-2016, 02:15 PM
wouldnt it be nice to be able to make comments on castboolits and not feel like we are in a class room again subject to the teacher and going to be graded on every thing we say and how we say it. im so glad i never watch the news, and concentrate on living since ive retired. as to cross bows, they bring joy to my 16 year old son. he go a 300 dollar cross bow this time last year and took a record mule deer buck. the last time a buck like his was shot in ne. was in the 1960/s. the croos bow teaches him self controll. he sets up his blind on a friends ranch, and waits and waits and waits. thats hard for a 16 year old boy to do. he did a 40 yard shot and the state was notified by the man who does out skull mounts that they should come and see a very very rare deer. they did and took dozens of pictures. makes my boy very proud. he doesnt know but for his birthday he is gwetting a 750 dollar cross bow next month. i got it from a rich man who used it once and wanted it out of the house. nothing wrong with it but too much work to hunt that way. i got it for 300 dollars. now my son will have two cross bows. with , i think , a 120 day season he will have another record buck in his room this winter. as i see it their are no more hunters out their in our remote high plains country now that they have allowed cross bows here that before that. my son has never ever seen another hunter with a bow when he hunts. the deer are not dropping like flies from that ruleing. they allow men like described above with bad shoulders experience the joy of the open country, fresh air, and the fun of a real hunt as it was ment to be. not like modern rifle season with every one running around like nuts and the deer in a panic. again we are not in a class room being graded. grammer does count for anything here. wandering off base is ok as thats the way most off us think. lets keep it fun here and keep sharing. if someone has a axe to grind, go for a long walk. i like reading all the comments that dont get nasty, its like a conversation at the towns gas station where every one meets, for a 1/2 hour or 1 hour every morning. my son is happy and that makes me happy.

rfd
07-11-2016, 02:21 PM
RFD'S QUOTE: i have no axe to grind with crossbows for hunting, just as long as they stay out of the archery season zones. crossbows are NOT archery, they are preloaded weapons, same as any firearm. that goes for the new and totally stupid crosman "airbow" nonsense.

crossbows not being archery is the same thing as Inline muzzle loaders not being primitive weapons. Modern crossbows are in the same catagory as inlines. I am not confused about anything. I dont shoot a crossbow.... have no desire to try.

ALL muzzleloaders - from flintlock to caplock to inline (which is just another form of caplock that has easier breech access) - ARE muzzleloaders and as such are preloaded weapons that load and fire alike and i do believe they can share the same muzzleloading hunt arenas and seasons.

triggerhappy243
07-11-2016, 02:36 PM
You missed the key word. PRIMITIVE WEAPON.

A FLINTER OR CAPLOCK IS CLASSIFIED AS A PRIMITIVE WEAPON. An inline is a modern rifle design loaded thru the muzzle.

crossbow and compound bow use a string.... and an arrow and have 2 flexible limbs. they are modern design. A recurve and a straight long bow are classified as primitive weapons. If you had a truly primitive crossbow..... no wheels, pulleys or modern sights, then it is classified as a primitive weapon.

So if there were a valid argument, compound bows should not be allowed because they are of modern design.

rfd
07-11-2016, 03:31 PM
i/we have already taken this thread off topic and i will not reply here again. but the off topic part dialogue was good and worthy of pursuing in its own thread.

KCSO
07-11-2016, 05:51 PM
Back in the late 60's we had a crackdown on black powder as some were using it to make bombs. For quite a while in the Omaha area you just couldn't find black when I was use to buying it at the local hardware store. All it will take is acouple of homemade bombs and I wil be back to making my own again.

oldracer
07-11-2016, 09:05 PM
In California, where we have a terrible mix of gun laws, the nut cases in the sate houses did not understand muzzle loaders SOOOOOO they passed the regulations to what the Feds say. In this case as long as the gun (original or modern repo) can not be loaded with a cartridge you do not need a FFL, background checks or wait period so we are good to go. I just bought that Mowery muzzle loader from Gun Broker and it came right to the house. Note that the caliber also does not apply so 50, 58 69 and so on are all okay.

Teddy (punchie)
07-12-2016, 03:55 AM
not to even talk about gas like world war I .

I thin k you hit the nail on the head. They won't go after the "antique guns", they'll go after the powder. Problem for them will be that BP is easy enough to manufacture for the motivated sportsman. True explosive materials are easy enough to manufacture for the motivated terrorist.

Squeeze
07-12-2016, 07:49 AM
these gun laws are all either big city, or along the coast. The majority of the country (in area at least) has a long tradition of guns and hunting. There was a time the powers tried to outlaw alcohol also, that didnt last long. More people are killed each year in auto collisions, they dont blame cars... Im betting if you could poll families of national tragedy gun violence victims, most wouldn't be in favor of more laws. (BUT, I would bet most are contacted by anti groups in efforts to persuade them into being used as figureheads and advertising spokesmen) It is not MORE laws we need, just enforce the laws already on the books. What these people do, is already against the law, why do they think more laws will stop the problem? Maybe less media coverage and sensationalism would help more. If these criminals knew they wouldnt be made famous for their actions, it may help more than increasing laws. If our ancesters didnt hunt, or have guns, World population would be a lot less. Most of the biggest whiners would not exist without firearms in their ancestry.

daleraby
07-16-2016, 08:23 PM
If the feds ban muzzleloaders, it will be time to take the muzzleloaders to Washington and take back our country. O' course by then, they will have banned all other types of weaponry and it will be too little too late.

Fly
07-16-2016, 11:23 PM
Best thing is do not vote for Hilary, or all bets are off.

Fly

M-Tecs
07-16-2016, 11:31 PM
Best thing is do not vote for Hilary, or all bets are off.

Fly

or a third party. Like it or not Trump is are only hope at saving the SCOTUS.