PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon's Extreme powders

Naphtali
05-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Hodgdon's manufactures several powders as "standard" and "Extreme." Using H4198 as an example, what are the differences you have found between the two forms? Are these differences significant -- that is, shooting lever action rifles and big bore revolvers, would I be able to take advantage of [any] benefit identified for Extreme version powders?

Hodgdon's advertising blurb refers to Extreme powders as superior to any competitor's powder of equivalent burning rate. How close to accurate is the claim?

Ifishsum
05-21-2008, 02:56 PM
It's always been my understanding that the "Extreme" powders simply meant that they will keep their burning characteristics the same under a wider (more "extreme") temperature range. In my experience they do stand up to that claim pretty well. Loads worked up during the summer do not seem to lose much during the colder months (elk hunting season) and ones worked up in the winter are still safe to shoot in the hot weather. In fact I've switched all my hunting loads to use "extreme" powders.

I have experienced issues with the non-extreme BL-C(2) powder in hot weather and now have a separate winter and summer load with it (in .204 ruger), the summer load being about .5 gr less powder.

jameslovesjammie
05-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Ifishsum is exactly correct!

http://www.hodgdon.com/extreme.html

jwp475
05-21-2008, 05:16 PM
The Extreme powder are less prone to velocity variations due to temperature extremes..

Ex "Boolit Bub"

Old Ironsights
05-21-2008, 05:19 PM
I like Varget.... but I think I'll revert to 2400 anyway. More Versatile.

Naphtali
05-21-2008, 08:35 PM
So any claim of more energy yielded (higher velocities) at same pressure for H322 Extreme vs. H322, or H4198 Extreme vs H4198, I should nod, smile, and ignore?

runfiverun
05-21-2008, 08:47 PM
yep unless they are your loads over a chrono........