PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks & Lee Sizer

fireflyfather
05-21-2008, 01:42 PM
OK, complicated question:

I have the Lee TL-160-312 mold, and it drops about .312 with my alloy. The mosin I shoot it out of slugs at .312. I would prefer about .313 or .314, but I can get 2MOA out of it with this bullet and 7gr of red dot.

I am thinking about trying to drive this bullet at higher velocities (13 gr red dot or thereabouts). How high can I drive this thing before I'm going to need to gas check it? (in grains of Red Dot, not fps, since I don't have a chrono)

If I do need to size it, Lee only makes sizers in .311 and .314 as best as I can tell. Will the .314 sizer seat the gas checks on the .312 bullets? Will the checks stick out? If so, is that a problem? Which brand of gas checks?

I can afford a Lee sizer, but not an expensive lubri-sizer.

Scrounger
05-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Either will work. If you mike the bullet after it goes through the sizer, you'll find it's a little smaller than the sizer nominal size anyway; that is, run your .312 bullet through a .312 sizer, it will probably measure .311 t0 .3115. There are instructions on Castpics on increasing the size bullet your mold drops ( http://www.castpics.net/memberarticles/Bullet%20Diameter%20Enlargement.htm ) and increasing the sizing diameter of your sizer die ( For some reason they won't set this up to be linked to, so I have to tell you how to get to the article. Go to Castpics.com, look for Research & Data; click on it and then click on Honing a Size Die).
As far as the loading data, nobody can tell you that, your gun and your bullet will set their own parameters. Just work up slowly till you start to get leading and/or wild shots; then drop half a grain and work up again with gas checked bullets.

runfiverun
05-21-2008, 08:51 PM
what scrounger said
you'll know when you can't go any faster, without the gas-check.

who aggravated scrounger ? he's being nice...

Scrounger
05-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Timing is everything. Note post was early in day, before life had a chance to irritate me. It goes downhill from about 10 AM.