PDA

View Full Version : OAL for 300 blackout

rhill
07-06-2016, 08:58 PM
Last weekend I shot my RAR for the first time with NOE 311-150sp. 15gr. H110. It shot 3/4"-1" at 50 yds, but when moved out to 100, was terrible. I know the seating depth I used was not scientific, I just seated the boolit so the case mouth just covered the first drive band. I want to try the same load again, starting with max length and then work shorter. Now the question. I loaded one round , started long and several tries later found the max length for this bullet that allows for easy chambering. The first drive band is exposed in front of the case mouth and when extracted shows no rifling engraving but looks like it is contacting the throat. Will this raise pressures too much? As a lead boolit is soft I am leaning towards it being ok, but I am need an answer from the experts here. Boolit sized to .311 and bolt closes easily on cartridge. My first time out I tried some tumble lubed and some tried lubed with White Label Carnauba Red. Bore stayed clean with both lubes. Gas checked also. Before I load up 25 rounds to test I just wanted input. Thanks for any help offered.

runfiverun
07-07-2016, 12:43 AM
your good.
I like a little scuffing of the drive band in the ball seat area of the throat.
I'm surprised you can chamber 311.
I have to buy special thinner brass to chamber 310, LC brass won't even chamber unless I use 308 in my rifle.

rhill
07-07-2016, 06:16 PM
Thanks runfiverun, .311 chambers easily in my rifle, I guess Rugers have generous chambers.

popper
07-07-2016, 08:51 PM
Chambers are all over the place. With a 150 you can't hit the lands, seat to reliably chamber.

Moonie
07-09-2016, 02:52 PM
I have found issues mainly with PMC reformed brass not wanting to chamber in my AR15 in 300BO. I neck turn them and all is fine, my sons 16" barrel did not have this issue, he has swapped it out for an 8" to go with his tax stamp and we have not tried them in that barrel yet.

RP
07-10-2016, 09:38 PM
PMCs will not chamber along with a few other brands LC rem and feds all work good. I do not neck turn any since I have a good supply and use the PMCs I get for reloads to be shot at the river since odds are I will never find them.

07-11-2016, 04:41 AM
H
I have found issues mainly with PMC reformed brass not wanting to chamber in my AR15 in 300BO. I neck turn them and all is fine, my sons 16" barrel did not have this issue, he has swapped it out for an 8" to go with his tax stamp and we have not tried them in that barrel yet.

Thats a known issue. We have a list on this site that will help save you some trouble in terms of what brass works when converted for 300AAC. I'm sure a quick search will locate it.

popper
07-11-2016, 11:11 AM
I was surprised last week, picking up real 300AAC HS brass - 5-6 brands.