PDA

View Full Version : My Daughters Boyfriend Asked me

Ken in Iowa
07-04-2016, 08:02 PM
If he could marry my baby girl.

We had a serious heart to heart conversation to clear the air.

Yeah, I gave my blessing.

Beagle333
07-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Congratulations! :-)

Chris C
07-04-2016, 08:10 PM
Well, he's a good boy if he asked you for her hand. Not many young men do that these days. Speaks highly of his upbringing..

Houndog
07-04-2016, 08:17 PM
At least he has the kajonies to ask for her hand! That's a good start! May they have a long and happy marriage and give you and the Mrs many grandchildren.

Teddy (punchie)
07-04-2016, 08:28 PM
What life is all about, He starting off right asking.

country gent
07-04-2016, 08:41 PM
Congradulations, Gibe the Happy Couuple my best.

country gent
07-04-2016, 08:42 PM
Give ( sorry it a pain when you fingers dont work like they should)

GhostHawk
07-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Well done! Pretty hard to say no considering you'd never see her, or their kids for 20 years if you did.

Bout all you can do is make them realize how bad they are going to hurt if they ever hurt your princess.

Ken in Iowa
07-04-2016, 10:02 PM
I kept the conversation on a positive note. We have family bonds with the young man via marriage, so there is a lot of people who want this to work.

It's worth mentioning that he's a shooter and hunter. He took a deer last year on the farm where my grandmother grew up.

We already had him casting boolits. Hopefully I can teach him to reload.

My wife and I are pleased that he would ask for her hand. He has wanted to do it for quite a while, but he wanted a ring in hand first. I totally understand.

I'm liking this kid more all the time.....

w5pv
07-05-2016, 07:47 AM
Congradulations,sounds like the young man had some correct upbringing.Hope the blessing last for ever.

Wayne Smith
07-05-2016, 07:52 AM
Congratulations! Sounds like she found a winner - one who is willing to wait and work for what he wants. Shows respect and the ability to restrain himself. Knows that immediate gratification is mostly for losers, too, I'll bet.

Hickory
07-05-2016, 08:28 AM
The man who married my youngest daughter came to me with the same request and a quivering voice seven years ago.
I said, "You can marry her on two conditions." I left enough time for it to sink in and for him to ask the question, "And they are?"
" One, you don't ever hit or abuse her." He knodded his head in agreement and said, "It will never happen."
After another pause he said, "And the second." I said, "You marry her you have to keep her, she's yours forever. I raised her to be a good wife for a man - her husband. Be a good man and husband to your wife."

No young man is ever the perfect man for his daughter, except for a few minor flaws, he has been a very good provider, husband and father to my daughter and grandchildren. She picked a good one.

mozeppa
07-05-2016, 08:55 AM
my daughter's first serious boyfriend tried to have "the talk" over the phone.

i told him: "i'f you are not man enough to face me...then you're not man enough to marry my girl."

((((click))))

she dumped him one day later....never heard from him again.

never liked him anyway.

Pine Baron
07-05-2016, 09:10 AM
Lol. It's tough having daughters. I've always told the boyfriends I didn't think they were good enough. Keeps them on their toes. My eldest daughter has been married 15 years, given me 4 wondrous grandchildren. SOL is still guessing.

jmort
07-05-2016, 09:50 AM
For those of us with daughters, all you want is a caring man who will do what is right, good, and honest and be both a good husband and father. Congratulations.

Blackwater
07-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Wow! How unusual for today! Chances are, any young man who'd do that is probably as worthy as anyone she'd find to marry. You're a lucky man. Thanks for letting us know there are still guys like this among the young! It matters. Combats and challenges our seeming tendency toward cynicism, that seems to pervade our nation today. These things matter.

frkelly74
07-05-2016, 11:26 AM
Good Character shown. I give my blessing.

Ken in Iowa
07-05-2016, 02:08 PM
my daughter's first serious boyfriend tried to have "the talk" over the phone.

i told him: "i'f you are not man enough to face me...then you're not man enough to marry my girl."

((((click))))

she dumped him one day later....never heard from him again.

never liked him anyway.

That's hilarious!

Our conversation was over the phone by appointment. He is an E5 sergeant in the US Army, stationed 800 miles away. He and the ring are flying in on Friday to pop the question. My daughter will have quite a surprise!

The kids have career plans well in order. No worries there.

Hick
07-05-2016, 07:05 PM
My daughter knew that asking the father was important. She came to me one evening and told me two things: (1) He was going to come ask me, and (2) I was going to say "yes". She made a good choice.

shoot-n-lead
07-05-2016, 07:21 PM
There are plenty of fine young men, around...I am proud that she found one, for her and for your family.

Good on you for the heart to heart, with him.

I know the day is coming for me...and I will have that same conversation with him...simply put, I won't tolerate ANY abuse.

salpal48
07-05-2016, 07:23 PM
I was a Pleasure to here that are some gentlemen left
All the Best
Sal

xs11jack
07-05-2016, 07:31 PM
When My buddy's oldest daughter said she wanted to start dating, I gave him a tee shirt that read "Rules for dating my daughter, You can't.
Ole jack

joebill1
07-07-2016, 12:21 PM
One of my daughters was in college and warned me that her feller was going to be coming by with "the question" for me before coming up to see her in about a week. She knew I'd have fun with it.

I began hiding from him. Every day I'd see his truck coming up the road and disapear until he left. I'd watch him from a vantage point, practically tearing up the brush and wearing out the dirt roads.

Last day before his sceduled trip, I dropped by his workplace sort of innocently, and he came dashing out the door as soon as he saw me. Had me "trapped" in the pickup so he could talk to me in private.

I listened to his plea, took a few minutes to consider, then asked him how many goats I got in exchange. I loved the look on his face when he realized he had been snookered by my daughter and I.

He had been a good friend to me for years already, and I positively knew him to be a fine man, which has proven to be 100% true for about 20 years already....Joe

Scrumbag
07-07-2016, 05:01 PM
25th June of this year I asked my father in law to be for his daughters hand, popped the question that evening and she said YES! Still buzzing :D

victorfox
07-08-2016, 12:39 PM
5 years ago I asked her father and all went fine... If someday it comes my time, the "meeting" will happen while I clean my shotgun on the couch! :coffee:

10 ga
07-08-2016, 01:15 PM
I sit here at the keyboard weeping. My 2 daughters both have wonderful husbands. The stories of the "asking" are dear to my heart. I certainly had an inkling of how things were progressing well before the formal stuff began, old guys know stuff.

For oldest daughter it began when she was away in New York state on a summer internship, she's a southern girl and I was apprehensive of her being around all them Yankees. Well it began one night she called and began her call with, "well there's this guy that I want you to meet. But don't make fun of his deer." I have some very nice high scoring trophies and his trophy would have only scored about 63", LOL he has some biggies now thanks to me. Well he's a great guy and a great husband and father to MY grandchildren. We shoot and hunt together often and I love him greatly.

for youngest daughter it started the 1st time she brought him by the house. Well I'd had a long day at the range and the table was covered with firearms in multiple states of cleaning and assembly. She gave me the "W I H" look and introduced her date. Well he eventually, after 9 years of dating call me on the phone to "ask". Then I had to not tell anybody for 3 days, LOL, the wife was furious when she found out I'd done that. He is also a great guy and he and M are regular shooters and both have CC permits. It's easy for me to figure what he wants for any gift occasion, ammo! I love to scrounge a brick of 22lr and some target 45s & 380 and 7.62X59 and we all go burn it up in the handguns and rifles. Great sons in law and great memories. 10

rockrat
07-08-2016, 10:14 PM
My Daughters boyfriend asked me late last year, I told him "I would accept his Unconditional Surrender", he got a funny look on his face and turned towards my wife. She said "that means yes", but you would understand his answer later.

I get to walk her down the isle next month!

Ken in Iowa
07-10-2016, 02:38 PM
Thanks for sharing 10ga.

The boy flew in Friday evening and asked the daughter. Of course she agreed!

We talked about dowry. Dishes, pistols and rifles, check. He wanted black sheep too. I'm fresh out of those!

jmort
07-10-2016, 02:54 PM
This is a great thread.

EllasPapa
07-10-2016, 05:18 PM
Congratulations! My now Son-in-law did the same thing, and earned a LOT of respect in the process. They've been married almost eight years now, two beautiful granddaughters for us, and he worships the ground our daughter walks on. He's a great Daddy to my grandbabies, a good provider and loves his wife with all his heart & soul.
When he asked me if he could marry her, I too had a bit of a discussion with him. I told him if he ever hurt my little girl, he may as well accept the inevitable and just come on over here, so I could put him down quick & fairly painless instead of making me chase him & make it slow & painful. He knew I was as serious as a heart attack, too....still call's me "Sir" from time to time...

TXGunNut
07-10-2016, 11:19 PM
I saw a cute t-shirt today; D.A.D.D. (Dads Against Daughters Dating). Good job, Ken. You raised your daughter right and she's making good choices. Congrats to the happy couple!

Coopaloop86
07-10-2016, 11:35 PM
Had that talk with my father in law 8 years ago, I'll never forget it. Ive got almost a foot and about 80 pounds on him and ive never been that scared in my life, he actually backed me down the stairs while drawing out the line. We still drink a cold one and laugh about it. Congratulations and many fine years to come!

rmcc
07-12-2016, 01:52 AM
Way things should be !! Good way to start!! Congrats to you and your family.

Ken in Iowa
07-16-2016, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the wonderful responses and well wishes. The marriage of ones daughter is a special occasion.

country gent
07-16-2016, 08:40 PM
My wife and I have 3 children 2 young ladies and a son. 2 months ago my Middle daughter got married and it was a very special occasion for all, And also a sobering one as my wife couldnt be there with us ( she was killed 12 years ago in a car accident). I did my best to help offer guidence ( vasectomy for a wedding gift was turned down though Lol). WHile taking pictures in the local park it did strat to sprinkle and Tears thru the floor of heavan was playing. One of those little spring sprinkles that last about 5 mins. I leaned over to Nikki and asked think those are your moms tears now? My oldest and Son are more interested in other things rigt now But I have 2 wonderful Grandsons and a Son In LAw thats maturing and learning going to be a fine man and husband I think. All of our childrens accomplishments are important and its such a pleasure and sense of pride. Im teaching the grandsons 4 and 2 next week to be respectfull, polite, and honorable young men as I go. Im also teaching them to fish, hunt and shoot, and to respect all of Gods gifts to us.My chindren were raised in this manner and Im slowly instilling it into the Son In law city boy. He finally understand now when I stop and pull an animals carcass of the road so it isnt ground to mush, WHy I like to sit on the pourch and watch the deer turkeys bunnies and other animals as they feed and travel. Its so important to show our pride in our children and our beliefs.

mold maker
07-17-2016, 08:18 PM
Has anyone ever said, or been told, NO?
It's kinda hard to say NO to your Daughters life choice.
Some young punks turn out pretty good, and some nice guys are secretly real jerks.

Plate plinker
07-17-2016, 11:02 PM
This is a great thread.

I agree. I have been the asker but have at least 11 years to go before any knot heads should be trying.

1989toddm
07-18-2016, 11:11 AM
My wife and I have 3 children 2 young ladies and a son. 2 months ago my Middle daughter got married and it was a very special occasion for all, And also a sobering one as my wife couldnt be there with us ( she was killed 12 years ago in a car accident). I did my best to help offer guidence ( vasectomy for a wedding gift was turned down though Lol). WHile taking pictures in the local park it did strat to sprinkle and Tears thru the floor of heavan was playing. One of those little spring sprinkles that last about 5 mins. I leaned over to Nikki and asked think those are your moms tears now? My oldest and Son are more interested in other things rigt now But I have 2 wonderful Grandsons and a Son In LAw thats maturing and learning going to be a fine man and husband I think. All of our childrens accomplishments are important and its such a pleasure and sense of pride. Im teaching the grandsons 4 and 2 next week to be respectfull, polite, and honorable young men as I go. Im also teaching them to fish, hunt and shoot, and to respect all of Gods gifts to us.My chindren were raised in this manner and Im slowly instilling it into the Son In law city boy. He finally understand now when I stop and pull an animals carcass of the road so it isnt ground to mush, WHy I like to sit on the pourch and watch the deer turkeys bunnies and other animals as they feed and travel. Its so important to show our pride in our children and our beliefs.

I shed a couple years reading your post. Thank you. That song is special to me also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thin Man
07-19-2016, 08:33 AM
I still believe there is a time and place for old time chivalry to appear. This is one of those times. Fine move by that young man, he has already made a positive mark on me.
Hope all works out well for both of them, as well as their families.

Thin Man

Half Dog
07-19-2016, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the post. It brought back memories of when I asked my wife's parents the same question.

OptimusPanda
07-19-2016, 12:12 PM
I did the same thing. Asked her dad back in April. Without question it was the most awkward thing I've ever done.